Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Off schedule plays are what makes a lot of great QBs great (Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, etc.), but you have to be able to make the ordinary ones pretty much all the time too or you end up being just a different shade of mediocre. Fields was good at the latter, but his inability to do the former with any regularity is why he’s where he is in his career right now. Williams’ skill set and experience shows that he should be able to do both. Only time will tell. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

At 6'5" 245lbs, Booker is like the Leonard Floyd 2.0 ...

I think his first years will be like Floyd's 3rd year as a Bear.  Floyd needed 2 years to build his frame for the NFL.

It would be a steal if he turns out like that.

Booker is 21.  Floyd was 24.

Booker played rush backer/edge.   Floyd was mostly an off ball LB at GA.

They do have similar body types.  

Booker from combine: 

HEIGHT
6’ 4 1/2’’
WEIGHT
240 lbs
ARM
33 7/8’’
HAND
9 1/4’’

Floyd:

HEIGHT
6’ 6’’
WEIGHT
244 lbs
ARM
33 1/8’’
HAND
10 1/8’’
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Booker is 21.  Floyd was 24.

Booker played rush backer/edge.   Floyd was mostly an off ball LB at GA.

They do have similar body types.  

Booker from combine: 

HEIGHT
6’ 4 1/2’’
WEIGHT
240 lbs
ARM
33 7/8’’
HAND
9 1/4’’

Floyd:

HEIGHT
6’ 6’’
WEIGHT
244 lbs
ARM
33 1/8’’
HAND
10 1/8’’

FWIW on one of his podcasts Greg Gabriel claimed Booker was already over 250lbs which should be a comfortable weight for him.

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

FWIW on one of his podcasts Greg Gabriel claimed Booker was already over 250lbs which should be a comfortable weight for him.

If I remember correctly, Floyd came out around 235lbs.  He needed times to get to around 250lbs.

If Booker is over 250lbs now, then he should be the 3rd year Floyd because he is already a better pass rusher than Floyd when he came out.

24 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

If I remember correctly, Floyd came out around 235lbs.  He needed times to get to around 250lbs.

If Booker is over 250lbs now, then he should be the 3rd year Floyd because he is already a better pass rusher than Floyd when he came out.

I think their progression weight wise may be similar but Booker seems to have added to his bulk much faster.  Earlier articles said he was around 230lbs at the beginning of his year at KU and weighed 240lbs at the Combine.  The Bears have him at 6'6" 245lbs which jives with Floyd in his 2nd or 3rd year. To me Floyd always looked like he weighed less than listed whereas Booker has a frame that looks like it can carry more weight.  But is the info listed on a team website ever truly accurate?  I have a hard time believing Andrew Billings is only 311lbs.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Caleb Williams' contract, worth $39.545 million in all, was indeed signed on Wednesday, July 17.

The full signing bonus must be paid within 15 days.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-caleb-williams-deal

In the past I believe the Bears have typically paid their signing bonuses in cash and not deferred them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

WTF is it with these injuries all of a sudden.  They haven't even had a single practice yet!

Maybe he got banged up working out. We all knew Kiran would end up on the list. He was hurt during the draft process iirc

13 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

You say that.

But Floyd was a consensus first round pick.  Not only that, but a high first round pick.  

Booker was a consensus mid round pick.   I find that difference interesting.  

I think it is primarily because there was a lot more tape on Floyd.  Bigger program and stage.  Better competition.  Floyd looked like an elite athlete.  he had the ideal measurables and I believe there is this thinking that there is no real difference between a college senior at 21 or 23/24.  You evaluate either the same.   Which I strongly disagree.  

There was still a lot of projection, but go back and read scouting reports and most thought he would be an elite player in league.  He did turn into a good player.

• Like 1