Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

In fairness to Ngakoue, he was also miscast in Chicago last year. He’s best in a role as a situational pass rusher, and last year he played for a team that (before his injury) was seldom in obvious pass rush situations, both because the offense was incredibly inconsistent and because the early season defense was bad at pretty much everything. That’s not to say Ngakoue shouldn’t have been better last year - he should have - that’s to say that the 2024 Bears should be in position to set him up with more opportunities to succeed in that more appropriate role than last year’s squad. 

He looked a lot better in spurts just before he got hurt.  A lot better.

But he was terrible before that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He looked a lot better in spurts just before he got hurt.  A lot better.

But he was terrible before that. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his play started to pop right around the same time that Montez Sweat arrived and Gervon Dexter began to flash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

Let's wait until the pads come on before we crown somebody...lolz😂

If you want to crown them, then crown their ***** 

• Like 1

DC Eric Washington has been very complimentary of Jacob Martin's toughness, speed, and athleticism.  He feels he's good enough to be a 3 down RDE.  I reviewed Martin's Combine Scouting Report and other than concerns about his size (230lbs then) the rest was actually pretty favorable for him being a successful NFL edge guy at least on a rotational basis.  He's managed to stick for 7 years doing just that.  Martin has also been guaranteed $667.5k of his nearly $1.3 mil deal so he's likely to make the final roster.

JMHO of course but it seems to be that Martin is this years Ngakoue but for a lot less money. He doesn't have the same kind of career stats as sack artists but he appears to be much better at playing the run.  It may be that Poles and Flus are looking to a trio of DWalk, Martin, and Booker to rotate at RDE this year.  We may not have a double digits sack artists to pair with Sweat but if this rotation can bring consistent pressure and score 8-10 sacks we're at least as well off as we would be with Ngakoue or another vet edge rusher.

This is what I believe they want to determine during camp first before committing to something else.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

DC Eric Washington has been very complimentary of Jacob Martin's toughness, speed, and athleticism.  He feels he's good enough to be a 3 down RDE.  I reviewed Martin's Combine Scouting Report and other than concerns about his size (230lbs then) the rest was actually pretty favorable for him being a successful NFL edge guy at least on a rotational basis.  He's managed to stick for 7 years doing just that.  Martin has also been guaranteed $667.5k of his nearly $1.3 mil deal so he's likely to make the final roster.

JMHO of course but it seems to be that Martin is this years Ngakoue but for a lot less money. He doesn't have the same kind of career stats as sack artists but he appears to be much better at playing the run.  It may be that Poles and Flus are looking to a trio of DWalk, Martin, and Booker to rotate at RDE this year.  We may not have a double digits sack artists to pair with Sweat but if this rotation can bring consistent pressure and score 8-10 sacks we're at least as well off as we would be with Ngakoue or another vet edge rusher.

This is what I believe they want to determine during camp first before committing to something else.

I think he’s this year’s Rasheem Green. He’s got 6 years worth of tape that suggests that he’s just a guy. And that’s fine - depth guys are important and he’s carved a nice little career out for himself. But my expectations are not high. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he’s this year’s Rasheem Green. He’s got 6 years worth of tape that suggests that he’s just a guy. And that’s fine - depth guys are important and he’s carved a nice little career out for himself. But my expectations are not high. 

Nor mine.  What they may be looking for is getting 8-10 sacks and some consistent pressure from a trio of DWalk, Martin, and Booker.  If as it turns out the guy already on the roster can do that Poles can avoid spending more money on another vet DE like Ngakoue.  We three picks in the first two rounds he should be able to land a far better edge guy next spring or sign one in FA.  This year the focus needs to be on Dexter and Pickens to pick up their game.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 6:41 AM, soulman said:

It may be that Poles and Flus are looking to a trio of DWalk, Martin, and Booker to rotate at RDE this year.  We may not have a double digits sack artists to pair with Sweat but if this rotation can bring consistent pressure and score 8-10 sacks we're at least as well off as we would be with Ngakoue or another vet edge rusher.

I think the edge guys as of today are Walker and Sweat, with Booker, Robinson and Martin competing to be the rotational main sub. 

I also think they are going to experiment with Dexter at edge on occasion and also kicking Walker inside more where he was more effective in TN.  It has been hinted at in interviews.

Pickens is going to get more run at 3 tech as well they hope.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Here we go:

Watching Scott have such a good camp is incredibly encouraging...Caleb looking as good as advertised once the pads came on...

Also Gervon sighting...

When his get off is right he is going to be a real handful to stop with all the work he has put in this offseason...Washington should be able to get a lot out of him.

• Like 1