WR Brandon Aiyuk Requests a Trade

At this point, I'd take 2 2nds, but even that seems like a reach. I wouldn't want any player contracts back. Put the money toward Trent and Ward (or Ward's replacement). Deebo would no longer be on the 2025 cap casualty chopping block. Maybe even resign Lenoir and Greenlaw.

5 minutes ago, typecast said:

The Panthers tagged him knowing it was possible to start the league year with his 24M tender on the books. They still had 11M in cap space. We'll have more than 300M in cap allocation for next season and like 26 in rollover to boost our effective cap space. The 49ers are going to be riding the line or over the cap without any tender on the books. Sure,we could tag him, but we'd have to rescind the tag or make 25M in cap space by the start of the league year. Given the 49ers are being somewhat amenable to Aiyuk's destination choice, I can't see them tagging him like this. Aiyuk would be prevented from participating in the legal tampering period.

Correct. 

And that's where the question mainly comes in. Would they be willing to restructure and move some money around to carry Aiyuk long enough for a trade. 

Lot of work for maybe a second round pick. 

I have no idea if they would be that aggressive for such a move. But Aiyuk is the type of guy that could get you a legit return for on the tag, and they need picks to generate some depth and youth. 

Just now, typecast said:

At this point, I'd take 2 2nds, but even that seems like a reach. I wouldn't want any player contracts back. Put the money toward Trent and Ward (or Ward's replacement). Deebo would no longer be on the 2025 cap casualty chopping block. Maybe even resign Lenoir and Greenlaw.

Oh yeah, that feels like a wish. Didn't think they are nabbing two seconds. I think they are pushed into a corner here unless they think they can get the extension. 

Important to note that deebo could still be cut. He's ostensibly in a contact year this season. If he's  really good, I'd wager he holds out and wants a new deal next year. If he struggles, the team could just cut him. But there's a very real chance we go through this again with deebo next year

This is not shocking to me and also why I don’t think we’ll settle if this has any truth to it. I think our FO puts a ton of value in our guys, which is why we didn’t trade Deebo years ago although we probably should have.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GW21 said:

This is not shocking to me and also why I don’t think we’ll settle if this has any truth to it. I think our FO puts a ton of value in our guys, which is why we didn’t trade Deebo years ago although we probably should have.

Two weeks right Forge? We need to concentrate on giving Trent what he wants for now i think.

Edited by 9erFreak77
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, typecast said:

L'Jarius Sneed? The former Chiefs corner that was tag and traded for a third round pick and 7th round swap?

You are right, my mistake. I still think he's worth a 2 next off-season but I could be wrong. 

Apparently, the trade hasn't happened yet, even though it's been agreed to by everyone, because the niners need to acquire another wr from another team. Not sure what happens if we don't get one, but yeah. We are about to (essentially) trade aiyuk straight up for some veteran WR who won't have more than 1 year left on his deal. Great work everyone. 

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

You are right, my mistake. I still think he's worth a 2 next off-season but I could be wrong. 

Apparently, the trade hasn't happened yet, even though it's been agreed to by everyone, because the niners need to acquire another wr from another team. Not sure what happens if we don't get one, but yeah. We are about to (essentially) trade aiyuk straight up for some veteran WR who won't have more than 1 year left on his deal. Great work everyone. 

Where did you see this? All reports said no deal between SF & PIT wasn’t agreed upon, plus I don’t buy what some Twitter accounts say, I’m so tired of fake accounts & BS on Twitter.

10 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Where did you see this? All reports said no deal between SF & PIT wasn’t agreed upon, plus I don’t buy what some Twitter accounts say, I’m so tired of fake accounts & BS on Twitter.

Brian peacock said it, but I think he was just hypothesizing. I've never known preach to have actual inside information, nor have I ever seen him try to offer any. 

50 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I am DMing Rickey and asking the right questions. I don't think we should include Rickey with "some twitter accounts". He's clearly in the know and has nailed more than a few things. 

Working backwards from this information, given the timing of his original tweet regarding a "nuclear bomb of a trade" going down, it is safe to say that the handshake video was aiyuk being happy about getting traded to Pittsburgh. Rickey tweeted it and then 2 hours later that moment was caught on camera. Kyle later said "well regardless of what came out yesterday, it's been the same for about a week" (paraphrasing). 

The deal hasn't happened because we are looking for additional wr help. Pittsburgh won't give it to us. No one is selling any WRs right now, partly because all the teams with WR depth are good teams, and good teams won't want to help us win. 

Perhaps we end up keeping him, but there is enough smoke now about Pittsburgh and what the comp is (a 2nd) that you can't deny Rickey is legitimate. He was miles ahead of all of the "reputable reporters" who seemingly only release information to the public when it suits the teams and/or the agents. 

It is bad for us that it is known the deal is done. We want to maintain leverage in wr talks with other teams? Not sure what our plan is here. There aren't any Xs available other than davante Adams and Courtland Sutton? No clue who they are targeting, but I don't think we will land anyone. 

What happens if we can't acquire another WR? Do we still trade him? I would be inclined to say no, so in that case, the deal may fall apart, which is why people keep insisting it's not "done", because it's not, even though the trade comp to all parties has been agreed to. 

Niners probably realize they can't find another wr, so they leaked that the browns and the pats were interested. They knew already that aiyuk wouldn't go to either place, but were simultaneously trying to get Pittsburgh to up their offer, get the fanbase on their side, and convince aiyuk to stay. 

Meanwhile, they already agreed to a deal when they thought they could add a wr, but now they can't they are upping their price (just a guess), but pit just held firm so the niners are stuck. 

Honestly, I am pretty comfortable riding this thing out unless we get davante Adams, I'm gonna just hold aiyuk. Sorry buddy. You could have taken 31.5m from NE. Instead you'll make 14 if you don't end up on the NFI. 

Not great business practices, but I personally would refuse to get strong armed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I did his chat and he said the Steelers are not going to pay him a crazy amount and give a lot up for him as they value Pickens more than him. That was a weird statement because they would be paying him at least 26M AAV. And the team was supposedly willing to give up a first rounder for him in May. Something is not adding up with those statements. 

20 minutes ago, adamq said:

That guy has to be getting fed complete BS then

I mean apparently he is a well respected senior beat writer that knows what he is talking about. LIS, something is not adding up here. 

The Steelers though have no reason to go all in for Aiyuk when they are the only legitimate suitor out there at the moment. Maybe that changes if another team pops up that Aiyuk would be willing to play for. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean apparently he is a well respected senior beat writer that knows what he is talking about. LIS, something is not adding up here. 

The Steelers though have no reason to go all in for Aiyuk when they are the only legitimate suitor out there at the moment. Maybe that changes if another team pops up that Aiyuk would be willing to play for. 

Very true, that statement just stands out as pure BS. They can't be willing to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick, plus a 26m+ contract for a dude and not value him more than the malcontent who'd be relegated to WR2

Edited by adamq