WR Brandon Aiyuk Requests a Trade

49 minutes ago, N4L said:

Gotta be a hold in. 40k per day to hold out. 

They can waive it on the option, don't forget. They did it for Bosa last year I'm pretty sure, and he never showed up

On 7/17/2024 at 11:47 AM, 757-NINER said:

That's a fair argument, I must admit.

Still not sure if I would though lol.

Deebo versatility made his a little bit easier for me, though I knew it wouldn't age well.

I'm fine either way, I guess.

But for the right compensation, I would definitely be open to moving him. 

Aiyuk being the second guy at the position to play his way into a new contract makes this a tougher choice.  Greenlaw is a similar situation, but MLB is not a premium position so the cost isn't nearly as steep.

What would it take to move the needle on a player for player trade?  Would you move him for Adams?  Garret Wilson? Patrick Surtain III?  Tristan Wirfs? Tyron Smith? Terry McLauren?

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

7 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Aiyuk being the second guy at the position to play his way into a new contract makes this a tougher choice.  Greenlaw is a similar situation, but MLB is not a premium position so the cost isn't nearly as steep

Not sure why that is the case. Aiyuk's and Deebo's big cap hits don't really overlap and Deebo shouldn't be seen as a long term piece for the team. He's under contract two more years, and then he should be gone. You could easily structure Aiyuk to have low cap hits in both of those years. Or you can have Aiyuk's cap hit big for 2025 at which point Deebo has been released / traded. 

Just now, Forge said:

Not sure why that is the case. Aiyuk's and Deebo's big cap hits don't really overlap and Deebo shouldn't be seen as a long term piece for the team. He's under contract two more years, and then he should be gone. You could easily structure Aiyuk to have low cap hits in both of those years. Or you can have Aiyuk's cap hit big for 2025 at which point Deebo has been released / traded. 

Then you are pushing money from Purdy's 1 million dollar years to his 50 million dollar years.  

Just now, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Then you are pushing money from Purdy's 1 million dollar years to his 50 million dollar years.  

That's fine. You're just moving money around. Not like Purdy is going to be a 50 million dollar cap hit immediately. Trevor lawrence hits 47 million cap hit in 2028 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's fine. You're just moving money around. Not like Purdy is going to be a 50 million dollar cap hit immediately. Trevor lawrence hits 47 million cap hit in 2028 

For me, it is more about the value of the contract as it relates to his position.  I don't think WR is as important as the contracts indicate.   I think only when all the other positions all do their job, then does WR matter.  I think the dollar amount WR's are being paid is not football related as much as  it's related to marketing and the love for passing stats.  I just hate being a buyer in this WR market.  I just don't see how we can pay him without creating a huge, exploitable gap somewhere.  Like we had last year at 3rd corner, or Trent's replacement at LT.  

I appreciate his stats, but I feel like CMC, Kittle, Deebo, and the PA game really set the table up for his success.  Not that you could replace him with anyone, but I feel about 12 people could fill the role well, and three or four may even be a little better.  

This is not the olden days, WR's are coming into the league ready to play, and O-linemen need development. 

It's not that I am against paying Aiyuk, per se, I am just very much on the fence.  It is a 50/50 call for me.  I really like Aiyuk, he is great with Purdy, he is versatile, he fits the system.  He is the guy we thought we were going to get when we drafted Michael Crabtree.  I just really hate this WR market.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

For me, it is more about the value of the contract as it relates to his position.  I don't think WR is as important as the contracts indicate.   I think only when all the other positions all do their job, then does WR matter.  I think the dollar amount WR's are being paid is not football related as much as  it's related to marketing and the love for passing stats.  I just hate being a buyer in this WR market.  I just don't see how we can pay him without creating a huge, exploitable gap somewhere.  Like we had last year at 3rd corner, or Trent's replacement at LT.  

I appreciate his stats, but I feel like CMC, Kittle, Deebo, and the PA game really set the table up for his success.  Not that you could replace him with anyone, but I feel about 12 people could fill the role well, and three or four may even be a little better.  

This is not the olden days, WR's are coming into the league ready to play, and O-linemen need development. 

It's not that I am against paying Aiyuk, per se, I am just very much on the fence.  It is a 50/50 call for me.  I really like Aiyuk, he is great with Purdy, he is versatile, he fits the system.  He is the guy we thought we were going to get when we drafted Michael Crabtree.  I just really hate this WR market.  

Yea, all of this for me as well.

Really love BA's fit in this scheme.

But I'm not very excited to shell out that kind of money, yet again.

I look at the Steelers regime and how they would continually draft good, young WRs for 10 plus years.

That's really the model I'd like us to emulate. 

Though our hit/miss ratio at the position isn't stellar, I'd rather be the team selling rather than buying every three-four years because we're identifying the right traits and drafting the position fairly successfully.

Similar to what we've been doing at LB for like a decade.

10 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Okay, though this is a completely different argument then "he's the second receiver to play his way into a contract making it tougher".  

I don't much agree with a whole lot you're saying here, but I understand this more for sure. If we had mahomes, maybe I'm more amenable to moneyballing the position, but we don't have Mahomes and I've seen what Diggs has done for allen, Chase for Burrow, etc. If we had two guys making 15-20 million each, I don't think anyone would care. But having one guy make 30 and another one a rookie deal seems like people don't like it for whatever reason. 

Receivers are coming in ready to play, but they are also busting at a pretty high rate and the proliferation of passing offenses means that every team basically needs 3 decent ones. There still aren't enough good receivers going around the league. 

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Just a reminder that Purdy reached the level three proven performance escalator as he was an original ballot Pro Bowl selection (i.e. not an alternate) in 2023. His 2025 salary will escalate from $1.1M to the 2nd round RFA tender. That would be like $4.978M with a $260M cap or $5.361M with a $280M cap.

https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders

Edited by typecast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I look at the Steelers regime and how they would continually draft good, young WRs for 10 plus years.

That's really the model I'd like us to emulate. 

I'm pretty sure that they have also drafted the most receivers in the top 3 rounds since like 2010 for a while there. 

We remember Manny Sanders, Mike Wallace, Juju. We forget about Dri Archer (3rd round), James Washington (second round), Sammie Coates (3rd round), Marcus Wheaton (3rd round). 

They get a lot of hits, but they swing the bat a lot. And frankly, they haven't hit any home runs really. AT least not since AB. Lots of doubles to go with those strike outs 

Honestly, now that I'm thinking about it....we pretty much have been following that model they had for a while. 

Since 2018 we've draft what, 6 receivers in the top 3 rounds? That's kind of crazy to think about lol

2018 Pettis - round 2 (and we used a second and third for that, technically)

2019 Deebo - round 2

2019 Jalen Hurd - round 3

2020 Aiyuk - round 1 (used 3 picks to get there)

2022 Danny Gray - Round 3

2024 Rickey Pearsall - round 1

that definitely has to be #1 since 2018, right? 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

They can waive it on the option, don't forget. They did it for Bosa last year I'm pretty sure, and he never showed up

They cannot do it for Aiyuk. He was drafted under the new CBA. Bosa was drafted under the old CBA. 

It is show up, or get 40k per day in fines. He can show up and not participate, however. 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

They cannot do it for Aiyuk. He was drafted under the new CBA. Bosa was drafted under the old CBA. 

It is show up, or get 40k per day in fines. He can show up and not participate, however. 

Well damn. 

Yeah, about time to come down with an ear infection for Aiyuk 😂 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:07 PM, Forge said:

Well damn. 

Yeah, about time to come down with an ear infection for Aiyuk 😂 

Does not even need to do all that. He can just "hold in" until he is traded or gets his deal.