2024 Training Camp

That's an incredibly tough throw to make but JJ nailed it. 

Someone mentioned that he still "kicks out" his leg at the end, which we've seen JJ do here and back at Michigan. I'm sure that's something the coaches will continue to work on with him.

JJ has had some great throws at camp and looks the part of a Top 10 draft pick, talent-wise. I still hope that Darnold plays for half the season. When you are trying to improve something like footwork, I think it's generally best to drill it with nothing on the line. Pressure has a way of bringing back bad habits. The more you can make those changes second nature before throwing him in, the better chance they stick. 

• Like 7

Moreau might be a big piece of defensive coordinator Flores’ defensive puzzle. On Wednesday, his first day on the practice field, he was inserted into the first-team defense, according to ESPN’s Kevin Seifert: “New Vikings CB Fabian Moreau getting a good run with the No. 1 defense today in his first practice with the team.”

He wasn’t the only one reporting this as his colleague Alec Lewis from The Athletic confirmed: “CB Fabian Moreau was mixing in with the 1s a good bit today and thought he looked good.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/the-newest-viking-is/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's an incredibly tough throw to make but JJ nailed it. 

Someone mentioned that he still "kicks out" his leg at the end, which we've seen JJ do here and back at Michigan. I'm sure that's something the coaches will continue to work on with him.

🗣️ NICE PASS 🗣️

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

JJ has had some great throws at camp and looks the part of a Top 10 draft pick, talent-wise. I still hope that Darnold plays for half the season. When you are trying to improve something like footwork, I think it's generally best to drill it with nothing on the line. Pressure has a way of bringing back bad habits. The more you can make those changes second nature before throwing him in, the better chance they stick. 

McCarthy certainly has things to work on, but his footwork was never really an issue. The change the Vikings made with his footwork is more of a scheme change. Having his left foot forward allows a slightly quicker pass drop at the expense of a slightly slow had of plays to the left. Thats it. The Vikings throw the ball more than they run so they run a scheme that allows the QB a quicker dropback. 

• Like 1

McCarthy got his first taste of a two-minute drill and largely passed the test. While he didn’t have any wow throws, he completed three short passes including one over the middle to Powell that would have set up a field goal attempt. McCarthy looked in command as he barked out the signals and directed the wide receivers to their places before the snap and got rid of the ball under pressure.

That drive had to feel good during a day where there weren’t all that many highlights overall. McCarthy had to scramble when he couldn’t find a receiver and overthrew Lucky Jackson on an out route. And then he caught his own pass that popped up in the air Brad Johnson style.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/matthew-coller-everything-we-learned-from-the-first-vikings-padded-practice-

Pat Jones II has been stacking some days at outside linebacker and kicking inside on passing downs to add another rushing element to the interior of the defensive line.

The fourth-year player showed up during three plays in 1-on-1 drills. He used speed around left tackle first, which helped set up a spin move to the interior on his next rep. Jones then lined up over the ball and was able to execute a two-hand swipe to gain an advantage.

Newcomer Jonah Williams, who joined the Vikings after playing for the Rams, provided a nice run stuff during a team drill.

Seventh-round pick Levi Drake Rodriguez participated in some snaps with the first-team defense.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-strikes-defense-surges-training-camp

Brian Flores said about Theo Jackson “There’ѕ been аn іncredіble аmount of growth, аn іncredіble аmount of juѕt improvement,”

https://x.com/i/status/1818101432589193391

In the link he picked off McCarthy during camp in an impressive play, and apparently Lewis Cine is injured again.  Great for him and if he is indeed that improved he will be clearly the 4th safety and be the first in if any of those other three go down.  That was already kind of known, but it is impressive his growth he has shown, will be interesting to watch him in the preseason games.