When Will JJ McCarthy Start? POLL

POLL - When Will JJ McCarthy Start?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When Will JJ McCarthy Start?

• Week 1 (at NYG)
    • Between Week 2 and 6 (SF, HOU, at GB, NYJ in London, BYE)
    • Between Week 7 and 10 (DET, at LAR, IND, at JAX)
    • Between Week 11 and 13 (at TENN, at CHI, AZ)
    • Between Week 14 and 18 (ATL, CHI, at SEA, GB, at DET)
    • 2025 season

17 hours ago, swede700 said:

Possibly, but certainly not guaranteed.  They could potentially get what they want out of him in the first 2 games and then just have Mullens and Hall in the 3rd game, not wanting to risk injury to their first round pick by a bunch of scrubs.

I would expect McCarthy to get the majority of preseason snaps. Darnold will get the majority of practice reps, and the majority of reps in the joint practices. Just like we saw with Cousins. 

10 hours ago, jofos said:

Unless McCarthy is going to be the starting QB week 1 he will play a lot during preseason.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I would expect McCarthy to get the majority of preseason snaps. Darnold will get the majority of practice reps, and the majority of reps in the joint practices. Just like we saw with Cousins. 

Maybe I'm not being clear, but never did I say anywhere that he wouldn't play a lot.  All I said is that he may not play a lot, if at all, in the 3rd game only.

Kevin Clark, ESPN: "Middle of the field, Kevin O'Connell, last year, was a top three play caller only behind only Kyle Shanahan and Mike McDaniel over the middle of the field. Guess who the best player in the Big Ten was over the middle of the field? It was J.J. McCarthy."

"So, you can get him layups early. You can get him easy answers. I think you wanna make life easy for the quarterback. That means giving him reps. That means starting Week 1. The reason you get rid of Kirk Cousins is to raise the ceiling on this organization. Sam Darnold does not help you do that. J.J. McCarthy's future does. Start him now, and that includes training camp."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/argument-minnesota-vikings-jj-mccarthy-qb1-over-sam-darnold?

On 7/21/2024 at 7:45 PM, Dr A W Niloc said:

Spending a top 10 pick on someone who can't start in front of Sam Darnold?

I think this is the wrong way of looking at it and based on what we've heard from KOC it sounds like he would agree. 

You start him when he's ready and that's what KOC has said all along while acknowledging that he won't be "perfect".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Kevin Clark, ESPN: "Middle of the field, Kevin O'Connell, last year, was a top three play caller only behind only Kyle Shanahan and Mike McDaniel over the middle of the field. Guess who the best player in the Big Ten was over the middle of the field? It was J.J. McCarthy."

"So, you can get him layups early. You can get him easy answers. I think you wanna make life easy for the quarterback. That means giving him reps. That means starting Week 1. The reason you get rid of Kirk Cousins is to raise the ceiling on this organization. Sam Darnold does not help you do that. J.J. McCarthy's future does. Start him now, and that includes training camp."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/argument-minnesota-vikings-jj-mccarthy-qb1-over-sam-darnold?

I'm so glad that the Vikings aren't going to make their assessments by listening to the talking heads.

• Like 1

McCarthy said on Friday that he’s content to work on his game and bide his time so that he will be as prepared as possible for the move into the top spot.

McCarthy: “I feel like I’m not focused on the outcomes of each day. I’m just focused on learning to get better, and improve the weakness that I have with my game and learn my teammates’ strengths and try to amplify them every chance I get. We’re off to a great start so far. My ultimate goal is to get the most out of every single day. When the time comes, it comes. I’m just training every single day so that when that time does come, I’m going to be ready.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-j-mccarthy-im-focused-on-getting-better-not-when-ill-be-starting

Mark Craig@markcraignfl (Star Tribune)

Both have very strong arms. One is a rookie. One is Sam Darnold. So neither looks like an NFL starter right now. Sam is being treated like the starter but I still think J.J. passes him and is the Week 1 starter. But if he doesn't it's nothing to be alarmed about.

I don't think McCarthy is going to give KOC a choice. Reports are that he's already out performing Darnold at training camp. If this continues through pre-season I believe KOC will play McCarthy 

I don't think they're going to play McCarthy until they've determined he's ready. Not just that he's outplaying Darnold, but where they feel throwing him in the fire won't stunt his growth. And that's EXACTLY what they should do. JJ McCarthy isn't just a 2024 plan. They're looking at the next decade. 

So unless they are satisfied with his development and feel that he's met their benchmarks, I expect Darnold still starts Week 1, regardless of whether McCarthy outplays him in camp or not. 

There's no longterm detriment to the team if Darnold plays like crap for 8 weeks. He's gone after this season. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think they're going to play McCarthy until they've determined he's ready. Not just that he's outplaying Darnold, but where they feel throwing him in the fire won't stunt his growth. And that's EXACTLY what they should do. JJ McCarthy isn't just a 2024 plan. They're looking at the next decade. 

So unless they are satisfied with his development and feel that he's met their benchmarks, I expect Darnold still starts Week 1, regardless of whether McCarthy outplays him in camp or not. 

There's no longterm detriment to the team if Darnold plays like crap for 8 weeks. He's gone after this season. 

Agreed.  I would let him watch NFL starting defenses for several weeks before throwing him into the ocean and seeing if he can swim.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

This.

Too many people, fans and media alike, have approached the QB situation like it’s McCarthy vs Darnold. When in reality it is McCarthy vs O’Connell, and O’Connell’s belief as to whether McCarthy is ready. 

McCarthy appears to be doing everything that a top 10 pick should be doing, looking like the best guy on the field. But the hard stuff hasn’t even begun. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Too many people, fans and media alike, have approached the QB situation like it’s McCarthy vs Darnold. When in reality it is McCarthy vs O’Connell, and O’Connell’s belief as to whether McCarthy is ready. 

From all accounts, Darnold pulled back in front of McCarthy this afternoon, dropping dimes all over the TCO Performance Center outdoor practice fields. Media members were quick to dub it Sam’s best practice as a Viking.

That’s why head coach Kevin O’Connell had to feel good about the Friday Sam Darnold had. Even if KOC wants to see JJ McCarthy win the QB1 job eventually, it benefits everyone involved (including the team) if it happens naturally. Not because Darnold fails, but because the rookie proves to be even better than good.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-news-sam-darnold-qb1-jj-mccarthy/

• Like 2

These are the five youngest quarterbacks to start a game for the Vikings, ranked in ascending order 

And, yes, McCarthy would be the youngest overall if he earns the Week 1 job.

5. Daunte Culpepper (2000)

Minnesota selected Culpepper with the 11th overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft, and contrary to some popular belief, the brute of a passer sat for the entire first season behind Randall Cunningham and Jeff George. After the 1999 campaign, though, the Vikings went full tilt with Culpepper, and the next 5.5 years were history. Culpepper’s peak was mountainous, especially the 2004 season.

4. Spergon Wynn (2001)

A punchline by fans, Wynn’s career in Minnesota was brief — but he was young. As the 2001 season spiraled out of control and Dennis Green lost his job, the Vikings turned to Wynn, who promptly flopped in two road games at the Green Bay Packers and Baltimore Ravens. Thereafter, he never played in the NFL again.

3. Tommy Kramer (1977)

Kramer was associated with the Vikings for 13 seasons — we’re talking Harrison Smith longevity by modern standards — and he started off as a youngster in 1977. He’s the third youngest Viking to start a game under center and remains active within the team’s community. 

2. Teddy Bridgewater (2014)

Bridgewater went live early in 2014, providing immediate hope that he could be the franchise’s savior. He did his part for two seasons until a brutal late-summer injury derailed his career in 2016, causing Minnesota to enter the Sam Bradford and Case Keenum eras. Many fans wonder “what could have been” with Bridgewater, a quarterback who formally retired seven months ago.

1. Fran Tarkenton (1961)

If J.J. McCarthy starts versus the New York Giants on September 8th, he’ll own this little Vikings record by two days. 

Until then, Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton is the youngest Vikings quarterback to start a game. And it’s fitting because he’s the best signal-caller in franchise history. Tarkenton was there from the team’s inception and stayed with the team for 13 seasons, although he joined the Giants’ roster in between from 1967 to 1971.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/the-5-youngest-qbs-to-start-a-game-for-the-vikings?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1