Raider Training Camp 2024

9 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

We could have definitely outbid Minnesota, even if a bidding war started. Watch McCarthy go win multiple Super Bowls. Like picking Fabian Washington over Aaron Rodgers. This franchise is ran by colossal idiots for decades. 

Who cares about “mortgaging the future” people overrate draft capital on here like crazy…. I truly do believe if we had a QB this season we would be a dark horse for the Super Bowl. 

I would have mortgaged it all. 

That’s not smart and for who? Drake Maye?

The most logical move once JJ was available at pick 10 would have been to offer our 1 and 3. If he busts it’s not catastrophic and if he hits you just got tremendous value. 

A GM willing to mortgage the future to move up for a QB as you suggest better be damn sure that QB is going to be star or else his career be over in short order if the QB is a bust. It’s easy to say from a couch but as a GM with millions on the line that JJ trade is the only move I would have made if I was GM. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That’s not smart and for who? Drake Maye?

The most logical move once JJ was available at pick 10 would have been to offer our 1 and 3. If he busts it’s not catastrophic and if he hits you just got tremendous value. 

A GM willing to mortgage the future to move up for a QB as you suggest better be damn sure that QB is going to be star or else his career be over in short order if the QB is a bust. It’s easy to say from a couch but as a GM with millions on the line that JJ trade is the only move I would have made if I was GM. 

We’re all gonna be wrong a lot, but I’ve been more right than the Raider Organization at least 85% of the time without hindsight. Which is just sad. I’m a fan, I have no business making better decisions than the Raiders. The Raiders have been the most dysfunctional professional sports organization since 2003 and it’s not close. 

I would have given a 1 and 2 for McCarthy. I think Minnesota would have matched our 1 and 3 offer pretty fast, they loved him. 

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

We’re all gonna be wrong a lot, but I’ve been more right than the Raider Organization at least 85% of the time without hindsight. Which is just sad. I’m a fan, I have no business making better decisions than the Raiders. The Raiders have been the most dysfunctional professional sports organization since 2003 and it’s not close. 

I would have given a 1 and 2 for McCarthy. I think Minnesota would have matched our 1 and 3 offer pretty fast, they loved him. 

I agree and have been one of the most critical posters on here since in joined in 2008. I have not agreed with 95+ of the moves this organization has made over the last 25 years. They have been a complete dumpster fire and the worst ran organization in professional sports during that span. Zero consistency with coaches, terrible draft picks and horrendous value in free agency leads us to 20 plus years of embarrassment. 

I haven’t been perfect with my predictions either but have been more right than wrong over the last 20 years and I assure you if I was running the show we would have fielded a roster that would have been way more competitive than the pathetic talent we’ve had on the field during that time. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Sucks that Murford couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity but good to see AP really allow this to be a competition and allow Glaze to get some run with the 1st team 

I believe it is more DJ Glaze being the more talented player than Munford being bad 

14 hours ago, Dessie said:

https://x.com/Sanjit__T/status/1819589354333130786

This is encouraging, I’d read elsewhere that he had stepped in looked good in replacement for Jenkins. Be huge for us if Young can be a solid contributor. 

That is encouraging as he literally showed nothing at all last year, was really disappointing for a third round pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

https://www.raiders.com/news/training-camp-notebook-8-3-top-standouts-from-raiders-saturday-scrimmage

Minshew, Pola-Mao impressed in the live scrimmage, did also read Tyree got a sack. Jones, Pola-Mao & Devonshire got picks. Jones also looked good on returns. 

Was wondering how Tyree was doing as it’s been pretty silent on that front, was starting to get a little concerned.

Nice breakdown by the reporter thanks!

Edited by Darbsk

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Minnesota gave up a 4th/5th round pick to move up, Telesco couldn't have outbid that? 

The team isn't serious about competing and as we're seeing in real time, Telesco's first round strategy is sus, QJ in LA looks like he might not even make the roster, lol.

Could he outbid that, sure. Could Minnesota counter and outbid them anyway, absolutely. They had a higher draft position and 2 first round picks. Nobody was going to outbid Minnesota for McCarthy. They were so  they moved up a spot.

How is the team not serious about competing? Because 6 QBs went in the first 12 picks and they were on the outside looking in? They landed a guy with all pro potential to help what QBs they have. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I disagree and don't see the point of starting a 21 year old on a team that has no chance of contention unless you're certain he is ready to handle the complexity and speed of the NFL. 

When you have a 21 year old QB who is raw you are thinking about the next 15 years and should treat the player accordingly.  The worst thing a HC can do is throw him to the wolves too early and ruin him.  I've seen it too many times before.  No doubt Darnold is a compete bum but that is not the point.  I see zero harm in having Darnold start the year while JJ sits and learns. 

He's not raw was my point. He's ready and will play well when his number is called. Let Darnold give it a go for a month and he'll be ready to take over. 

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is pure speculation.  Did we even make an offer for him?

If JJ turns out to be a good NFL QB our front office will have to explain themselves as to why they didnt make a play for him.  

I believe we could have traded our 1st and 3rd to move up to grab him.

Of course it's speculation, but rooted in fact. Minnesota was all in McCarthy, had 2 first round picks and higher picks in each round. 

So yes, you easy to look at it and say the only Raiders could have outbid Minnesota is to make silly offer. Minnesota wasn't going to let McCarthy past them. If you listen to their GM post draft, it was clear they were going to make sure he was a Viking no matter what.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Do you only speak in hyperbole? 

The Raiders, as dysfunctional as they are not even top 10 in all of sports. Washington hasn't won 11 games in over 30 years, their owner was forced to sell the franchise for his behavior as just one example in the same league. The Browns also exist. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

That is encouraging as he literally showed nothing at all last year, was really disappointing for a third round pick.

If we get 2nd year improvements from Wilson and Young on the DL, our defensive line will be incredible. Encouraging signs so far in camp. Hopefully it continues in games 

• Like 1