Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

Just thought of something else:

-Kendrick Bourne is coming off an ACL tear from week 8 of the 2023 season. 
-If the Browns trade Cooper they invite a $31 mil dead cap hit due to his contract rework. 

And I actually think that the OL angle, maybe even CB angle could be what they are looking for.

Their OL with PFF grades at the starting level (overall/pass blocking/run blocking):

LT - Trent Williams (Holding out) 89.9.79.8/90.1

LG - Aaron Banks 54.9/54.9/55.2

C - Jake Brendel 63.9/42.3/70.5

RG - Jon Feliciano 81.2/66.5/87.0

RT - Colton McKivitz 65.1/56.4/68.1

I could easily see James Daniels and/or Nick Herbig being someone they want.

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And I actually think that the OL angle, maybe even CB angle could be what they are looking for.

Their OL with PFF grades at the starting level (overall/pass blocking/run blocking):

LT - Trent Williams (Holding out) 89.9.79.8/90.1

LG - Aaron Banks 54.9/54.9/55.2

C - Jake Brendel 63.9/42.3/70.5

RG - Jon Feliciano 81.2/66.5/87.0

RT - Colton McKivitz 65.1/56.4/68.1

I could easily see James Daniels and/or Nick Herbig being someone they want.

If PFF grades are the factor, James Daniels was 62/60/60 last year. The 49ers return all 5 guys that went to the Super Bowl last year. 

I am someone who thinks that JD is far better than the PFF grade, but I’d have to provide that potential to their group as well. If the browns package is true: the 49ers want impact right now. Is James Daniels that big of a needle mover over what they have at a higher cost? I’m not sure I can answer that for a playcaller who has been pretty OLine proof through his tenure. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If PFF grades are the factor, James Daniels was 62/60/60 last year. The 49ers return all 5 guys that went to the Super Bowl last year. 

I am someone who thinks that JD is far better than the PFF grade, but I’d have to provide that potential to their group as well. If the browns package is true: the 49ers want impact right now. Is James Daniels that big of a needle mover over what they have at a higher cost? I’m not sure I can answer that for a playcaller who has been pretty OLine proof through his tenure. 

The issue is Bourne is still on the PUP list so if he's the player there there's the issue of his health and taking that shot.

I don't understand Cooper's rumored involvement. Trading Cooper comes with it's own huge set if issues from a cap perspective because of all the reworking of his contract. Trading him saved $1.2Mil and technically makes Aiyuk affordable, but that would mean $22Mil in dead cap for next year. And their already potentially $84mil over next years projected cap.

There's also other rumors out there that the Browns offer might be Cooper, Conklin, and a 3rd. So if that's the case it might hold that SF is interested in some OL help with this deal. Then again like Bourne he's coming off a torn ACL, but his additional wrinkle is that he's rumored to be a potential cut since Dawand Jones played so well and is likely to take over at RT.

I dunno. It's all interesting and the reporting all along has been all over the place so I don't know what to make out of it other than what the local radio guys are talking about of they heard from Commanders people saying that Lynch kept on trying to change the trade parameters.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

2) If those packages are true, the 49ers seem to NEED compensation that helps this year and I am not sure where that comes from the Steelers. Moore and Daniels don't make a lot of sense. Neither does Hightower/Herbig. We are deep at ILB, but so are they. Najee and Warren, but CMC. 

If the Steelers won't meet a trade package and the Browns are talking their receivers...Seems like we said no to Pickens and I would guess that's not gonna change. 

Again -- just thinking out loud. I have no idea what's happening. 

^This^ x 1000

Just playing with OTC's cap calculator for 2025 and the Browns:

You trade Cooper now, Cut Conklin, you are still $25M over the cap. You can cut a bunch of the bottom of the roster to create the room.

But you basically have to create $50MIL of room to afford Aiyuk. So you are in position to have to extend and restructure Watson, which can get you to $20M in space. But you need even more than that to afford picks and FA's, and that took extending Watson until his age 36 year.

And that's still with Moore as a FA, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah as a FA, their entire RB room as FA's, and with one less high pick to help with any of that.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

If it happens, it happens.   Kinda hoping it doesn't, though.

If the speculation is true and Omar and Aiyuk to an extent are strong arming the 49ers into giving him up for less than a 1st you should absolutely be hoping it happens.

If it’s for a 1st, I am less thrilled but he is still an awesome player who will be fun to watch, raises our ceiling tremendously, and helps us figure out what we have in Fields. I don’t think giving up a 1st is on the table for Omar though (deal would already be done if that was the case).

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If the speculation is true and Omar and Aiyuk to an extent are strong arming the 49ers into giving him up for less than a 1st you should absolutely be hoping it happens.

I feel like something odd is going on here. The Browns need to be working on ways to help their cap next year, not add to it, so unless they are trying to take the risk of trade "less" for him or say screw it and just go all in on a one year window for this year. But if your Aiyuk, why not just say you want to stay in SF for that outcome, you have better SB chances. So if you do this rumored Cooper and Conklin deal the Browns create more cap maneuver issues with Cooper and the Niners take a likely cut player off injury in this deal?

The rumor that it's Kendrick Bourne and a 2nd. Bourne is on the PUP, coming off the ACL tear, may not be ready until week 4-6. And at that who knows what he will be like in the ramp up and integration to the offense. So your saying the Niners have a window but they would take a guy with a 1 year out coming off a knee injury?

Dan Orlovsky made good comments on X of if you are Cleveland this is a total luxury move that if it costs you Cooper is really kinda lateral and you hope that Watson recaptures that 2020 form. And if you are NE you believe in this team being closer and Drake Maye being much better than people outside the building believe. He didn't go into who's rumored to go back. And I know you could say the same about us as you would NE, but man with that rumored returns I just feel like somethings off in these rumors.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like something odd is going on here. The Browns need to be working on ways to help their cap next year, not add to it, so unless they are trying to take the risk of trade "less" for him or say screw it and just go all in on a one year window for this year. But if your Aiyuk, why not just say you want to stay in SF for that outcome, you have better SB chances. So if you do this rumored Cooper and Conklin deal the Browns create more cap maneuver issues with Cooper and the Niners take a likely cut player off injury in this deal?

The rumor that it's Kendrick Bourne and a 2nd. Bourne is on the PUP, coming off the ACL tear, may not be ready until week 4-6. And at that who knows what he will be like in the ramp up and integration to the offense. So your saying the Niners have a window but they would take a guy with a 1 year out coming off a knee injury?

Dan Orlovsky made good comments on X of if you are Cleveland this is a total luxury move that if it costs you Cooper is really kinda lateral and you hope that Watson recaptures that 2020 form. And if you are NE you believe in this team being closer and Drake Maye being much better than people outside the building believe. He didn't go into who's rumored to go back. And I know you could say the same about us as you would NE, but man with that rumored returns I just feel like somethings off in these rumors.

I agree this is all very odd…when have we ever seen a potential trade for a player of Aiyuk’s caliber play out in public like this with so many leaks?

I do think some of it is true. I think we are Aiyuk’s preferred destination and that their is an offer on the table that is below market value.

But I’ve come back around to thinking the two most likely scenarios are the 49ers matching one of the Steelers/Browns/Patriots contract offers or that this drags out and he is not moved until the trade deadline. 

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I agree this is all very odd…when have we ever seen a potential trade for a player of Aiyuk’s caliber play out in public like this with so many leaks?

I do think some of it is true. I think we are Aiyuk’s preferred destination and that their is an offer on the table that is below market value.

But I’ve come back around to thinking the two most likely scenarios are the 49ers matching one of the Steelers/Browns/Patriots contract offers or that this drags out and he is not moved until the trade deadline. 

I'm listening to Locked On and Matt Williamson is saying the same thing I am. The Browns are already stacked at WR and they paid those guys so it's hard to move one, and the Pats might be in place for the 1st overall pick so why does it make sense to go after him.

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It's interesting in there is it says barring a change, we're out. But then it doesn't say that Aiyuk is going to negotiate with only the Browns and Pats.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Pats might be in place for the 1st overall pick so why does it make sense to go after him.

Drake Maye. 

Tie your franchise QB to a top receiver through his first contract. It’s been the modern day QB development playbook. 

The Patriots make a ton of sense. I’m not sure what makes sense other than draft capital to make it worthwhile for the 49ers in 24, though. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It's interesting in there is it says barring a change, we're out. But then it doesn't say that Aiyuk is going to negotiate with only the Browns and Pats.

Exactly, the “barring a change” language is key and feeds into this report being a leverage play theory. Seems like a game of chicken is being played. 

And Aiyuk may not need to negotiate with us because we already have a contract in place with him.