Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think Max Starks was a dominate LT but that is just me.  Villi was alright for the price.

He wasn't the nimblest of guys but he got the job done. Today's speed rushers may have been a problem tho. 

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

He wasn't the nimblest of guys but he got the job done. Today's speed rushers may have been a problem tho. 

I disagree.  He was one of the most technically sound tackles the Steelers had seen and in a  370lb body.  He was a crap RT but a wall at LT

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I disagree.  He was one of the most technically sound tackles the Steelers had seen and in a  370lb body.  He was a crap RT but a wall at LT

Meh, 370lbs is hard to kickslide against guys like Parsons. Again, don't get me wrong, he was a great player for us. 

Great for us, in the grand scheme of things he was average.

EDIT - My comment was to wanting a top of the league near All-Pro LT for once and for all. I don't think we've ever had an All-Pro on any of the teams at LT. John Kolb is likely the best and closest ever and he never got any personal accolades.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I am in agreement with your sentiment. He had the body and physical traits to be a dominant RT.  Unlike Dan Moore, he was able to move to the right side. However, he was much better at LT in my humble opinion as well.

He did have some problems with the speed guys, but he had an underrated nasty streak! 

th?id=OIP.8o7YGqnLnBjbD5_r-xoc0gHaCa&pid

John Jackson turned out to be pretty good as well. For a tenth-round draft pick that almost got dumped, after Pat Swilling feasted on him in a pre-season game, he developed into a pretty solid LT.  I loved Villy, but I think Jackson was a more well-rounded LT (run and pass blocking) than even Big Al was.   He wasn't the second coming of Anthony Munoz, but then again, not many can be mentioned in that class.  

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Fields has not looked like a world beater in practice.  I would still give the edge to Wilson but YMMV

Russell is more experienced and should have the edge.  I have said for a few years and still say that the value of letting a young QB sit and learn behind a veteran is invaluable. Pre-season is still a different speed than game speed. Last year, even I drank the Kool-Aid on the development of the offense and OL based on those first-team reps versus other #1 and #2' without the game planning, etc. That being said, I like how Fields has met the challenge thus far and hope Russ stays healthy all year.  

I think the 2025 version of Fields may be something to look forward to if he is allowed to develop and not put in the microwave of games so to speak. That was part of Kenny's problem.  

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am in agreement with your sentiment. He had the body and physical traits to be a dominant RT.  Unlike Dan Moore, he was able to move to the right side. However, he was much better at LT in my humble opinion as well.

He did have some problems with the speed guys, but he had an underrated nasty streak! 

th?id=OIP.8o7YGqnLnBjbD5_r-xoc0gHaCa&pid

John Jackson turned out to be pretty good as well. For a tenth-round draft pick that almost got dumped, after Pat Swilling feasted on him in a pre-season game, he developed into a pretty solid LT.  I loved Villy, but I think Jackson was a more well-rounded LT (run and pass blocking) than even Big Al was.   He wasn't the second coming of Anthony Munoz, but then again, not many can be mentioned in that class.  

give props to colbert for signing Starx on the tag in 2008,  it saved ther season IMO, and look how it ended. Maybe OL is important?

6 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That was part of Kenny's problem.  

some other parts of KP's problem were

arm

staying healthy

garbage OL

garbage OC

scrambling to soon

not scanning the field

what a rough start to a career, but maybe he makes it as a QB3 for the eagles  

Edited by 3rivers