Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Needs 10-15 lbs of muscle to move inside. He has two positions, and none. 

He was a tweener that they could not decide.  Thequestion now is does he have the lateral movement to be a decent OLB

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He was a tweener that they could not decide.  Thequestion now is does he have the lateral movement to be a decent OLB

I think he’s gonna do better as an OLB since we play more 4 man fronts than anything else. 

His combine results give me zero hope to be an effective OLB.  Situational pass rusher.  Maybe.  he just does have the explosiveness or the lateral movement ( from his combine numbers) to be even an average OLB.

He is not explosive.  27.5 VJ (Highsmith 33, Watt 37). 8'10" BJ (Highsmith 10'5", Watt 10'7")  Realizing that is with more than 30 lbs on both current starters.

I feel like your doing a lot of “put this label in a box” when it comes to our front 7 guys.

And honestly who care is he’s situational labeled OLB? Put him on the end of our common 4 man front and make him drop into coverage very minimally. See what happens. Based on all the camp stuff that’s where he’s been winning and likely why the label change. 

Hes an EDGE/OLB/DE/whatever. Making sure he is put in those situations is what matters more than the label. 

If they can find a role that Leal can be effective in, great.    However, its looking more and more like a dud.    This is a make or break season for him, and Im leaning towards the latter.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

If they can find a role that Leal can be effective in, great.    However, its looking more and more like a dud.    This is a make or break season for him, and Im leaning towards the latter.

This 100% seems like a last ditch effort to find him a role.

It seems like he may be better off on a team running 4-3 and this could also be them essentially allowing him to audition in a pass rusher type role.

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

This 100% seems like a last ditch effort to find him a role.

It seems like he may be better off on a team running 4-3 and this could also be them essentially allowing him to audition in a pass rusher type role.

Kind of like when they worked Green at FB? LOL...Seems pumping him up in camp may have been done in hopes of dealing him. Maybe they think showcasing his versatility gives that idea more value. It looks clear to me that Leal will be cut, and Loudermilk and Lee will both be kept, at least until Lowry is ready to go. But, who really knows...I was never buying the hype about Leal. He can come in hungrier, in better shape and using his hands better,  but he isn't fast or strong enough to excel at either position. He will go down as a very good college player...

You guy's see this absolute banger by Dulac? No reason to take Moore out of the lineup? This is a clip to a 25 minute interview Dulac had on a podcast. It doesn't say when the quote is, and I didn't watch it so I'll be of no help. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/08/dulac-theres-no-reason-to-take-ot-dan-moore-jr-out-of-starting-lineup/

This OT thing is strange. The depth chart released(I know it serves little purpose) has guys listed in positions they haven't been practicing at. Fau is listed as the backup LT. Dulac said in the interview that Fau's best chance at starting is at Guard? What? What kind of messages is the FO feeding that poor old man? 

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You guy's see this absolute banger by Dulac? No reason to take Moore out of the lineup? This is a clip to a 25 minute interview Dulac had on a podcast. It doesn't say when the quote is, and I didn't watch it so I'll be of no help. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/08/dulac-theres-no-reason-to-take-ot-dan-moore-jr-out-of-starting-lineup/

This OT thing is strange. The depth chart released(I know it serves little purpose) has guys listed in positions they haven't been practicing at. Fau is listed as the backup LT. Dulac said in the interview that Fau's best chance at starting is at Guard? What? What kind of messages is the FO feeding that poor old man? 

I think Dulac at this point is 75% made up info, 20% used as a smoke screen because he's respected, and 5% real.

If he got fed something it's a smoke screen IMO. Because the bit about Fautanu's best position to play this year is a spot with two good players at a position he's never played? What? I don't think that's a message from the team, I think that's him throwing random crap out there to try to make people feel better about a pick who's currently not slated to help.

IMO - step one of the whole OT situation is working out is Fautanu being ready to start.

Step two is now Jones showing he need to start over Moore.

I think step 3 is either Moore being traded or someone else showing they can be the swing tackle.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

LOL just posted the same thing in the offtopic thread. But year I'd take him back easily. Only downside is he's not in position to play special teams. Pickens, Jefferson, Juju not playing ST's would mean those last two WR spots would need at least 1 to do it, the other able to do it.

The SD guys all seem set against it saying Juju and Jefferson are the same player. I would see Juju as a big slot with us so I don't get their point, especially if Juju does a 1 year VM with us.

• Like 1

I think JuJu is pretty much washed, he's had a really bad string of injuries lately. But I would still give him a shot as a run blocker/utility player. Would be a no brainer if he played special teams and could be our new Miles Boykin. 

• Like 1