Around the League 2024

dll2000

EDGE Haason Reddick is requesting a trade from the Jets after just being acquired by them earlier in the offseason. I guess they're hesitant to extend him. I doubt we'd be players, but we could certainly use another talent at the position.

4 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

EDGE Haason Reddick is requesting a trade from the Jets after just being acquired by them earlier in the offseason. I guess they're hesitant to extend him. I doubt we'd be players, but we could certainly use another talent at the position.

If they'd take a 2026 4th- they dealt a 2026 3rd for him iirc- Poles should be all over it. He has 3 good years left in him, and this is the time to pay (and sometimes overpay) guys when you have a QB on a rookie deal

Edited by beardown3231

Poles got the Sweat deal done, but it wasn’t done before the trade.  

He took a bit of same gamble that Jets did.  He didn’t low ball him though like Jets purportedly did with Reddick.  

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Poles got the Sweat deal done, but it wasn’t done before the trade.  

He took a bit of same gamble that Jets did.  He didn’t low ball him though like Jets purportedly did with Reddick.  

He did, but he also paid a premium to Sweat on that contract IMO based on what he had shown his first 4.5 seasons (35.5 sacks in 67 games in WSH without any big jumps is good-not-great IMO). I think at the time he signed he was the 4th highest paid edge rusher (behind only Bosa, Watt and Garrett). He’s shown thus far to be fully worth it, but had a deal been worked out before the trade I suspect they might’ve gotten it for a few million less. Poles understood though (unlike Douglas) that once he traded for him without the deal in place that he had very little if any negotiating leverage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

He did, but he also paid a premium to Sweat on that contract IMO based on what he had shown his first 4.5 seasons (35.5 sacks in 67 games in WSH without any big jumps is good-not-great IMO). I think at the time he signed he was the 4th highest paid edge rusher (behind only Bosa, Watt and Garrett). He’s shown thus far to be fully worth it, but had a deal been worked out before the trade I suspect they might’ve gotten it for a few million less. Poles understood though (unlike Douglas) that once he traded for him without the deal in place that he had very little if any negotiating leverage. 

Are they not allowed to come to a deal before the trade?

You are giving the player a lot of leverage making the trade and then negotiating the deal.  The Jets scenario is the nightmare.

Seeing Connor Williams get only 1 year $6 mil deal shows his knee was WAY worse than we were hoping. I'd have happily pulled the trigger on 1 year/$10 mil just for the chance to lock him up if he was healthy and improving later but with Jenkins and Davis already injury prone I definitely see why Poles was not pursuing too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Seeing Connor Williams get only 1 year $6 mil deal shows his knee was WAY worse than we were hoping. I'd have happily pulled the trigger on 1 year/$10 mil just for the chance to lock him up if he was healthy and improving later but with Jenkins and Davis already injury prone I definitely see why Poles was not pursuing too. 

I could see the argument for picking him up, but can you imagine if all those guys, plus Connor WIlliams,  were hurt at the same time? At some point, everyone has to consider "will I look really stupid if this doesn't work?" Ideally we'd love  our team's front office to be analytical and calculating, but the preponderance of ***-covering, job protecting moves that we see all year every year is a good reminder that there are failable humans running these shows. 

• Like 1

Well he ain't going to be starter now.  That really sucks.  Don't wish that on anyone.  Only bright side is it happened in a year they wanted to sit him anyway.  

First preseason game.  Sheesh.

5 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I could see the argument for picking him up, but can you imagine if all those guys, plus Connor WIlliams,  were hurt at the same time? At some point, everyone has to consider "will I look really stupid if this doesn't work?" Ideally we'd love  our team's front office to be analytical and calculating, but the preponderance of ***-covering, job protecting moves that we see all year every year is a good reminder that there are failable humans running these shows. 

We would be first ones complaining if he couldn't play. 

It makes no sense to sign a guy to a 1 year deal who isn't going to be 100%.  You are basically paying for his rehab year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Are they not allowed to come to a deal before the trade?

You are giving the player a lot of leverage making the trade and then negotiating the deal.  The Jets scenario is the nightmare.

The team trading away the player would have to allow for it (like SF has done with Aiyuk) otherwise it’s not permitted. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Yep, thats why I could understand why Poles didn't pull the trigger. Maybe between the three they could put together some combination of 34 starts though? lol 

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well he ain't going to be starter now.  That really sucks.  Don't wish that on anyone.  Only bright side is it happened in a year they wanted to sit him anyway.  

First preseason game.  Sheesh.

Sucks for the kid but at least he was smart enough to get it looked at immediately and not just put the surgery off until the offseason. Get it cleaned up, heal, and learn the system. He can come in just like any redshirt or will be ready by mid to late season depending on what it is. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

=  You are basically paying for his rehab year.

That's a really really good point.   I think my most meatball trait is that I think we should pay every available OL whatever they want.

Sucks about JJ.  I like him and am really curious about how he's going to be as a pro. We'll never know it wouldn't surprise me if in the long run this improved his career vs rushing out there when Sam Darnold gets run over by slimer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

That's a really really good point.   I think my most meatball trait is that I think we should pay every available OL whatever they want.

Sucks about JJ.  I like him and am really curious about how he's going to be as a pro. We'll never know it wouldn't surprise me if in the long run this improved his career vs rushing out there when Sam Darnold gets run over by slimer. 

It's dependent on where he is in the recovery process. I have zero doubts (with obviously very limited watching compared to many others but still) Williams' ceiling is higher than Bates, Davis or Shelton. I'd be much happier having the inside track on a healthy Willims for 2025, even if Bates is good you have C and G set up then.

Still there's a million ways to go about things and I suspect Poles wants to pay OTs and draft IOL for cost concerns. And honestly that's a plan I 100% can get behind.

Dipping back a few posts I have to ask why are we even discussing Haason Reddick whose not a 4-3 DE and is looking for a deal that will pay him far more than Poles would ever be willing to pay a 30 year old rotational edge rusher?  We have two much younger guys with decent upside who put on quite a show this past weekend.  I think we'd be far better off developing one or both of them.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Dipping back a few posts I have to ask why are we even discussing Haason Reddick whose not a 4-3 DE and is looking for a deal that will pay him far more than Poles would ever be willing to pay a 30 year old rotational edge rusher?  We have two much younger guys with decent upside who put on quite a show this past weekend.  I think we'd be far better off developing one or both of them.

It's not happening.  If it did I would be absolutely shocked. 

Honestly I would think only a few teams at most leaguewide would be interested at all.   Let Jets solve their own problems.

They screwed the pooch on that one.

• Like 2