Potential Aiyuk Trade Talk

8 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

The only one of those players options that make any sense is Muth because his deal is up and we have Tight ends to utilize. Despite what all is being suggested about Muth in this offense the reality is the TEs will likely split up those "extra" TE targets one way or another and I doubt Muth ultimately sees much of a net increase.  Not to mention that good TE receiver options are becoming more prevalent and Colston Loveland for one is going to be an extremely intersting option for the entire league in next years draft. 

Kick rocks on Herbig or Minkah. 

the 25' 2nd and 26' 3rd is alright mostly because we'd probably have to use a 2nd next year on some receiver type to get a good one. The third, um dont love it, but its a premium to get the deal done. I would not by any means give up both next year, not to mention our tough schedule and even with getting Aiyuk its still extremely possible that the team barely gets over the .500 hump and in that case would be picking top 15.

I know it's likely under what SF wants and over what you are ok with it. But at the same time I think if Omar were to add in a 2026 5th this deal would be able to get done.

I think it's interesting because they've put themselves in a double no win position. Either he's coming to us on a deal less than they want or they are going to pay him more than they want to.

And now this latest wrinkle is an added issue where they want a WR to replace him.

This is all because they basically waited all summer to really do something about it. And from reports they miscalculated the WR market and thought that deals done would show he's worth $26MM AAV, and all that happened was $30MM deals. On top of that they saw other WR's get their deals re-done effectively taking them off the market. So this thing where there's rumors that they want to make it somehow a 3 team trade, they are effectively trying to make their problem our emergency. 

There's a lot of rumors out there that other GM's are really confused by the Niners. They keep retrying these different angles knowing there's no other options out there. There's a rumor that one team that should want a WR was called by the Niners in regards to Aiyuk and that GM hung up on them knowing they were being used. It even sounds like other GM's are just kinda urging them to either just pay Aiyuk or move him.

I would bet if they just do the Aiyuk deal with us, they would be able to flip for another deal to get the player they want really quickly. Because then teams would know what they have and what they are dealing with. Given all their back and forth on how close or far off they are with this deal, I really don't blame other teams for not getting involved right now too. How do you know you wouldn't engage as a team like - say the Giants - sending Sheppard, getting a 3rd, Niners get Sheppard and our 2nd, and we get Aiyuk. Given all the back and forth of the Niners, if your the Giants how do you trust getting in this deal and feeling confident that they won't last minute come back and say "oh we also need a 5th from the Giants" or something like that? But if your the Giants and there's already a deal in place where they know the Niners hold our 2025 2nd and 2026 3rd, now dealing for Shepard is from a place of ease because you know what they hold and negotiations can be much smoother.

------------------------------

Sorry for the train of thought typing there. But man - this whole mess is such a making of their own fault. To go from a 1st being offered at the draft that Omar thought was a done deal, to thinking on day two they had a Deebo Samuel deal done, to not raising their offer when they knew they weren't close, to not doing anything all summer, to all of this now. It's like they want us to pay their stupid tax.

Heck even on top of all of that, based on the fact that they tried to move Aiyuk OR Deebo means means they know that can't afford both long term and there will need to be something done with the cap. So it's not like they are completely stupid here. And their cap guy is just as good as Khan so they know what their constraints are. So if they aren't budging off their line that tells me that in order to keep the team together they know they can't spend over that.

What I'm curious on with that is are they struggling to pivot to know what to do with that space if they moved Aiyuk? Like are they not planning for that? Like if it's a short SB window you are going for are you telling me that without Aiyuk you are confident in getting Keenan Allen, Chris Godwin of Brandin Cooks under that number? What about improving your line with a James Daniels? 

Like, I get that it puts a hole in this year for them, but being able to divide up that $26MM AAV into say a $10MM AAV vet and two young $8MM AAV guys, or a $20MM AAV guy and a $6MM AAV guy would pay off more in the long run. Like I'm just picturing by going for someone like Jedrick Wills for a RT, maybe off a one year you can bring in Jeremy Chinn to add to the secondary, get Teven Jenkins cheap due to injuries for OG. I dunno, just spitballing there on some names. 

• Like 2

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1823344285426815079

Russini: Brandon Aiyuk ‘Hasn’t Been Easy To Work With’ In Contract Negotiations

Sounds like A+ projecting from the Niners FO right here.

Sifting through this stuff of reports sounds like Russini and Pallesario are getting a lot of information from the Niners, Schefter and Garfalio from Aiyuk himself, and Rapapport somehow from us. Just based on how their words are constructed Russini and Pallesario keep talking about how the Niners are trying but it's Aiyuk, Shefty and Garifalio are saying how the Niners need to come up, and Rapapport keeps saying how we think we're right there on a deal but SF keeps changing the ask.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1823344285426815079

Sounds like A+ projecting from the Niners FO right here.

Sifting through this stuff of reports sounds like Russini and Pallesario are getting a lot of information from the Niners, Schefter and Garfalio from Aiyuk himself, and Rapapport somehow from us. Just based on how their words are constructed Russini and Pallesario keep talking about how the Niners are trying but it's Aiyuk, Shefty and Garifalio are saying how the Niners need to come up, and Rapapport keeps saying how we think we're right there on a deal but SF keeps changing the ask.

Yea, from most of what I have seen it seems the 49ers are the difficult ones in both negotiations.

Side note: apparently if you replace the x in x.com to twitter before pasting the link, it will embed in the message.

• Like 2

I wonder if Pearsall were not injured, this deal would be done.

Just to piggyback on @warfelg, they now need a WR.  They drafted a WR because they knew they could not keep both Aiyuk and Deebo but he has been a no show in camp so far and will likely not be a factor until at least 1/2 way through the season.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, August4th said:

SF wanting a WR, when we traded a top 30ish one a few months ago lol

You know I’ve been thinking about that and wonder if at that time we went to them with that or felt that Aiyuk wouldn’t be available so didn’t bother. 

Also how funny is this with all the drama going on:

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1823044471375737307?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Does the longer this goes on increases our chances of getting him? Their is a number/type of contract Aiyuk wants and SF knows this..so why haven't they gotten a deal by now? the report of SF wanting to talk contract again is now a few days old, yet no new deal.

Edited by August4th

if I am wrong , then all the better :D

I don't see the trade happening, and if it does, Khan won't appear the winner.  I think SF are just playing games and in the process hoping Aiyuk will sign for their current/best offer.  

If Khan makes it happen, what are the people here expecting Khan to trade for the WR? Reports/rumours vary on this, I have no idea .

Will this be a daily discussion well into the season?

59 minutes ago, August4th said:

Does the longer this goes on increases our chances of getting him? Their is a number/type of contract Aiyuk wants and SF knows this..so why haven't they gotten a deal by now? the report of SF wanting to talk contract again is now a few days old, yet no new deal.

Aiyuk wants the same money in his pocket which is not the same as the same contract.  The Steelers offering $28M AAV.  Because of taxes, SF needs to offer $31MAAV.  That is what he is telling them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Aiyuk wants the same money in his pocket which is not the same as the same contract.  The Steelers offering $28M AAV.  Because of taxes, SF needs to offer $31MAAV.  That is what he is telling them.

This is the first I have heard a player making this kind of adjustment on contract requirements and it's very smart by Aiyuk/agent. A big contract is great, but the take-home value is where it's at.

• Like 2

I remember a SF player posting his check online showing how much taxes were taking away(still tone deaf tho his take home pay was still a ton of money...) maybe it's something players have been discussing in that locker room...Cali is not cheap