AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The bowers thread is gonna get funnier by the week 

Funny how?  I don't recall anyone saying Bowers is a bad player/prospect rather he needs to consistently produce to provide value as a top 15 pick.  Bowers had a good game today and let's hope he can consistently produce at a high level for many years which will ultimately help us win games.  

So much for all the two TE nonsense talk on here.  Mayer is a backup and producing like one.  If this team wants to improve long term we can not keep having players taken within the 1st three rounds bring back terrible value. 

5 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Bowers is going to be the number 1 target once Adams declines or heads out. Bowers is the TRUTH.

I hope once we move on from Adams we can draft a true #1 WR.  Adams still is one but his elite years are very limited considering he will be 32 at the end of this season.  

I was pounding the table in 2020 for Lamb had we gone WR at 12 and we ended up with Ruggs....  Drafting terribly and not getting value in FA has led us to where we are now. 

42 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Funny how?  I don't recall anyone saying Bowers is a bad player/prospect rather he needs to consistently produce to provide value as a top 15 pick.  Bowers had a good game today and let's hope he can consistently produce at a high level for many years which will ultimately help us win games.  

So much for all the two TE nonsense talk on here.  Mayer is a backup and producing like one.  If this team wants to improve long term we can not keep having players taken within the 1st three rounds bring back terrible value. 

Ironic that this was the discourse, and since he's producing, people are getting froggy as if anyone said he sucked, isn't it? 

The inverse would be him not producing, at which point the biggest supporters of the pick would probably be as quiet as church mice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ironic that this was the discourse, and since he's producing, people are getting froggy as if anyone said he sucked, isn't it? 

The inverse would be him not producing, at which point the biggest supporters of the pick would probably be as quiet as church mice. 

Totally, he was a very good prospect coming out and I don't recall anyone on here saying that he wasn't.  He still needs to do something that no top 15 TE has done since 1997 and that is consistently produce at a high level.  

I also don't hear much from the two TE narrative people that were claiming Bowers and Mayer are going to be used like Gronk and Hernandez.  Mayer is clearly a backup which is a shame because we have another 1st/2nd round pick returning terrible value.  If we want to turn the corner as a franchise we can not keep making those types of blunders. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He is a generational prospect at his position and is off to an all time NFL start at tight end as a rookie with a mediocre qb. To the bold, not implying anyone said this.

Mayer wasn't taken by Telesco. Telesco should draft players who will help us win. He seems to be doing well so far though we'll see.

• Like 4

Totally, he was a very good prospect coming out and I don't recall anyone on here saying that he wasn't.  He still needs to do something that no top 15 TE has done since 1997 and that is consistently produce at a high level.  

I also don't hear much from the two TE narrative people that were claiming Bowers and Mayer are going to be used like Gronk and Hernandez.  Mayer is clearly a backup which is a shame because we have another 1st/2nd round pick returning terrible value.  If we want to turn the corner as a franchise we can not keep making those types of blunders. 

Why does he need to do anything? If he produces well and with high efficiency, we will win more games. That is the point of draft picks isn't it?

Odunze was taken well before him and Bowers has played better. If we took Odunze, no one would be complaining.

16 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Why does he need to do anything? If he produces well and with high efficiency, we will win more games. That is the point of draft picks isn't it?

Odunze was taken well before him and Bowers has played better. If we took Odunze, no one would be complaining.

Why does he have to produce?  Is that what you're asking?   He has to produce because he is a top 15 pick being paid millions of dollars to do so.  I'm sure you're not advocating for below average production as I know you're a better poster than that so I am not sure what you're really saying.   

Who cares about Odunze?  Odunze is playing with an MCL injury tonight and is typically 4th in the pecking order (Moore, Allen, Swift) on an anemic Bears O.  He has nothing to do with Bowers and the fact we have two 1st/2nd round TE's on a roster with many holes to fill.  

Are you still in the 2 TE being used like Gronk/ Hernandez camp because after two games it appears that "baby Gronk" is now just a backup.  Mayer appears to be another wasted 1st/2nd rounder on a roster with a ton of holes to fill.  

22 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Why does he have to produce?  Is that what you're asking?   He has to produce because he is a top 15 pick being paid millions of dollars to do so.  I'm sure you're not advocating for below average production as I know you're a better poster than that so I am not sure what you're really saying.   

Who cares about Odunze?  Odunze is playing with an MCL injury tonight and is typically 4th in the pecking order (Moore, Allen, Swift) on an anemic Bears O.  He has nothing to do with Bowers and the fact we have two 1st/2nd round TE's on a roster with many holes to fill.  

Are you still in the 2 TE being used like Gronk/ Hernandez camp because after two games it appears that "baby Gronk" is now just a backup.  Mayer appears to be another wasted 1st/2nd rounder on a roster with a ton of holes to fill.  

The point I'm making is teams take 1st round WR all the time in the top 15 and they often don't produce but no one says anything. Bowers does play the same position as Mayer, but Mayer's snaps has more to do with Getsy and Minshew than it does with Bowers being drafted.  I agree they want to play Tucker over Mayer clearly to stretch the field but you don't pass on a top prospect just because you have invested at a position. Especially if you think the guy you're passing on is an elite talent. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The point I'm making is teams take 1st round WR all the time in the top 15 and they often don't produce but no one says anything. Bowers does play the same position as Mayer, but Mayer's snaps has more to do with Getsy and Minshew than it does with Bowers being drafted.  I agree they want to play Tucker over Mayer clearly to stretch the field but you don't pass on a top prospect just because you have invested at a position. Especially if you think the guy you're passing on is an elite talent. 

Teams take players at every position in the 1st round that bust so what? 

Bowers is a top talent at a position that historically does not produce at a high level on a team that didn't have a hole at TE (baby Gronk) according to most fans but had massive holes in other key positions (QB, OT, CB, Edge). When the Falcons took Pitts, another "generational" TE talent, they had a glaring hole at the position.  The problem is the Falcons QB's have never been able to get him the ball and there are many QB's in the NFL who think it's too risky to continuously throw over the middle, in all of that traffic, risking a turnover, hence the historical lack of production from TE's even the "generational" talents like Pitts and V. Davis.

Hopefully our next QB is a young stud like Mahomes who likes to use the TE.  I am not sure where that leaves Mayer because if he continues to produce at this clip he will join a long list of 1st/2nd round busts for this franchise.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

44 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Somebody compared Mayer to Gronk ? No way lol 

15 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Somebody compared Mayer to Gronk ? No way lol 

The narrative of "baby Gronk" was all over here last year around this time.  Many draft pundits had him as the top TE in last years draft and going in the mid 1st. 

I guess if "baby Gronks" production continues down this same path we can all chalk him up to a bust. Another 1st/2nd rounder wasted...  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

31 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The narrative of "baby Gronk" was all over here last year around this time.  Many draft pundits had him as the top TE in last years draft and going in the mid 1st. 

I guess if "baby Gronks" production continues down this same path we can all chalk him up to a bust. Another 1st/2nd rounder wasted...  

Even if we had a better qb Mayer is probably capped out a Foster Moreau type numbers when he was Waller’s number 2. 

Teams take players at every position in the 1st round that bust so what? 

Bowers is a top talent at a position that historically does not produce at a high level on a team that didn't have a hole at TE (baby Gronk) according to most fans but had massive holes in other key positions (QB, OT, CB, Edge). When the Falcons took Pitts, another "generational" TE talent, they had a glaring hole at the position.  The problem is the Falcons QB's have never been able to get him the ball and there are many QB's in the NFL who think it's too risky to continuously throw over the middle, in all of that traffic, risking a turnover, hence the historical lack of production from TE's even the "generational" talents like Pitts and V. Davis.

Hopefully our next QB is a young stud like Mahomes who likes to use the TE.  I am not sure where that leaves Mayer because if he continues to produce at this clip he will join a long list of 1st/2nd round busts for this franchise.  

Let's look at QB, OT, CB, Edge shall we?

QB: No arguing that there was a hole, but I don't blame the FO for not trading up for Nix/Penix. I liked JJ but the Vikings/teams in that area wouldn't budge on the pick.

OT: Miller is struggling off of injury, but Munford has been decent against 2 very good sets of edge. Additionally, the IOL has been the biggest issue, namely James/Whitehair.

CB: Bennett has played very well on the outside across from Jack Jones.

Edge: One of the strongest positions on the team. Koonce was outstanding last year. You can't expect that him AND wilson would get hurt week 1. No team is 4-5 deep at edge.

I agree that OT/CB would have been better value in the offseason but looking back the only clear huge hole was QB. And that's a hole we can fill this upcoming year given that we have loaded the offense up with weapons to help a young QB succeed.