All things OL

warfelg

I feel like we're going to be talking about this a lot this season, and wouldn't mind a place to track only OL stuff.

First up:

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1825855094082212195

Dan Moore Jr. Ranked One Of Preseason’s Best Pass Protectors, Broderick Jones Among Worst

For sure not something I would have expected to see before the start of the season.

Carrying over a thought from the Training Camp thread on training of the OL - If need be, instead of asking Manchuck to come back full time, I would ask him to come back as a consultant through the first few weeks to work with the OT's only. To me it's got 3 upsides:

1) It helps the OT's develop some. I mentioned that Meyer has always been better at developing IOL than OT, so I don't think it's bad.

2) Bringing him in as a consultant to only work with basically 3 guys on the side doesn't really step on Meyer all that much IMO because it's about the 1-on-1 battle, not asking him to design blocking schemes and things like that.

3) Worst case, this gets Manchuck into the building again and T's up the possibility to come back full time. He hasn't coached in 3 years so maybe just short term consulting makes him realize that he wants to be back and this young OL is something he wants to coach.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mwalker said:

The Jones thing is weird. He's too good to perform like he has.

I'm starting a little dive into his stuff from last year, because I started to wonder if he was actually good last year or were we just happy the 1st round OT got on the field. My early take is that the run blocking is similar, the pass blocking is very much the same.

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like we're going to be talking about this a lot this season, and wouldn't mind a place to track only OL stuff.

First up:

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1825855094082212195

For sure not something I would have expected to see before the start of the season._______________________________________________

I think we take this with a grain of salt. Last year this time, I was defending Kenny Pickett's ascention into a franchise QB for the Steelers. He certainly looked the part until Week One of the real season.  I will quote one of the best NFL coaches meltdown's, Dennis Green. "Dan Moore is who we thought he was. If you wanna crown his @$$ you crown it! But he is who we think he is!

d8971e4fcfc9518b94ad6d4de4e76013.jpg

Dan-Moore-Jr.-Myles-Garrett-Kevin-Dotson

Carrying over a thought from the Training Camp thread on training of the OL - If need be, instead of asking Manchuck to come back full time, I would ask him to come back as a consultant through the first few weeks to work with the OT's only. To me it's got 3 upsides:

I think we all love what Munchack has and brings to any OL. He is an underrated position-coaching legend. As critical as I have been of Pat Meyer, he has not done a terrible job.  We have asked him to make chicken salad ...........

maxresdefault.jpg

first-round they now have two first round OT's,  a second-round C, and a fourth-round OG.  For as much as the young OT's have struggled, no one is talking about the development of Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook. Don't get me wrong, I just think Munchack is a next-level teacher and motivator, but I don't put injuries,  youth, and development on Pat Meyer.

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

1) It helps the OT's develop some. I mentioned that Meyer has always been better at developing IOL than OT, so I don't think it's bad.

2) Bringing him in as a consultant to only work with basically 3 guys on the side doesn't really step on Meyer all that much IMO because it's about the 1-on-1 battle, not asking him to design blocking schemes and things like that.

3) Worst case, this gets Manchuck into the building again and T's up the possibility to come back full time. He hasn't coached in 3 years so maybe just short term consulting makes him realize that he wants to be back and this young OL is something he wants to coach.

I am sure that OC Arthur Smith inquired or talked to Munchack as well as Coach Tomlin.  Everyone loves this guy. There is no downside to him coming on board. At the bare minimum, he boosts morale in that position group.  I'm all for it, but honestly, don't blame Meyer either. By that I mean, he is not doing his job. 

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

I'd take Munchak back in any role he would accept. 
Also quite surprised to read that about Moore.
The Jones thing is weird. He's too good to perform like he has.

how about offensive assistant and if Meyer doesn't get the results, Munchak just takes over the OL and is already familiar with smiths offence anyways. Happy for Moore, if he is playing good, then why not keep him in and put Troy at RT if jones continues his bad play? Thats what a real coach would do, make the change before it's too late.  But, look at what this regime tolerated at OT and QB last year 

57 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think we all love what Munchack has and brings to any OL. He is an underrated position-coaching legend. As critical as I have been of Pat Meyer, he has not done a terrible job.  We have asked him to make chicken salad ...........

agree, but when do you accept slow starts, players playing at wrong positions (dotson ), players playing that shouldn't be playing (cole)  and now the regression or underachieving that we see. I know it's early and all that but wait until mid season and see what this unit is doing if healthy. If they don't equal or improve on the last half of last seasons performance with this much more talent, then it's time to move on at OL coach.

Is there a chance they bring Munchak back mid season if Meyer really can't get this unit going? I think that was BB's hint in that mcafee segment :ph34r:

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think you’re missing the point on the Jones stuff. The issue myself and almost everyone else has isn’t whether he’s on the right or the left side…it’s trying to make a raw player who was a 1st round investment unnecessarily learn two positions at once. 

I haven’t seen literally anyone say that he’s struggling because he’s playing RT and his issues would be fixed if he was playing LT.

37 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think you’re missing the point on the Jones stuff. The issue myself and almost everyone else has isn’t whether he’s on the right or the left side…it’s trying to make a raw player who was a 1st round investment unnecessarily learn two positions at once. 

I haven’t seen literally anyone say that he’s struggling because he’s playing RT and his issues would be fixed if he was playing LT.

Huh? Why does me posting a link to an tweeted article generate a response that doesn’t have to do a lot with the article?

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Huh? Why does me posting a link to a tweeted article generate a response that doesn’t have to do a lot with the article?

You have you have been defending the idea of letting Jones practice at both sides for a while now. My argument has been that if he was allowed to stick to one side (whether that be right or left), his technique could be farther along. 

Again - I don’t really see anyone claiming his issues would be fixed moving him over to the left side. He was fine, but not perfect, at RT last year. His development is being hindered from trying to learn both sides at once instead of just sticking to one side. 

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

You have you have been defending the idea of letting Jones practice at both sides for a while now. My argument has been that if he was allowed to stick to one side (whether that be right or left), his technique could be farther along. 

Again - I don’t really see anyone claiming his issues would be fixed moving him over to the left side. He was fine, but not perfect, at RT last year. His development is being hindered from trying to learn both sides at once instead of just sticking to one side. 

The article is Essex saying because he can’t punch he shouldn’t be protecting the blindside. It’s more hindered by the injury than anything. I posted it because it’s an experience NFL OL talking about the impact of the injury. 

• Like 1

On a different OL player, Alex Korza pointed out that it's interesting that Mason McCormick has been allowed to keep doing his skip shuffle to pull rather than turn his hips then flip them to get into the hole.

Sounds like the injury was right elbow. 

I agree with Trai ( who I played some golf with once) that Jones is having issues landing his punch or it has no power.  Could be injury or could be that Jones is not learning his technique right or both.  I do remember there were camp reports of the oline making the punch a point of emphasis.  Tunch was a big proponent of getting the first strong punch in.  i remember when he was brought into the camp as a special consultant ( early in his radio days) to teach the olinemen.

Getting a player that relies on athletics over technique is always a boom bust draft pick.  Oline is doubly so.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Sounds like the injury was right elbow. 

I agree with Trai ( who I played some golf with once) that Jones is having issues landing his punch or it has no power.  Could be injury or could be that Jones is not learning his technique right or both.  I do remember there were camp reports of the oline making the punch a point of emphasis.  Tunch was a big proponent of getting the first strong punch in.  i remember when he was brought into the camp as a special consultant ( early in his radio days) to teach the olinemen.

Getting a player that relies on athletics over technique is always a boom bust draft pick.  Oline is doubly so.    

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1825990240932139229

And looks like he's not going to get much better through the year unless they decide to rest him a bit.

And here's what to like about him:

#Steelers OT Broderick Jones says he’s as “healthy as I’m gonna get.” “I play o-line. It’s a physical brand of football in Pittsburgh, Pa. Everyone’s gonna have nicks and bruises.” Brushed aside concerns about his elbow brace and said he needs to be better.

He seems like a guy you are going to have to protect from himself to some degree because if not he would play at 50%.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

He seems like a guy you are going to have to protect from himself to some degree because if not he would play at 50%.

if his injury/play doesn't improve enough, there will/should be a time that the coaches decide to play someone else. For now though, it appears Jones will play until they take him out regardless of pain and injury.  Tough for sure, but needs to be careful