TE Jelani Woods to undergo Toe Surgery

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/20/colts-te-jelani-woods-will-reportedly-undergo-surgery-on-injured-toe/?taid=66c508ba37120500013ad998&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

This isn’t good. He was borderline making the 53 and now they might have to hold him on the 53 to put him on IR meaning risking someone else’s chance to make the team. At least that way they can designate him to return in case he is needed later in the season. 

Loved him in the draft.

I am like 90% sure that you can IR players before cut down and have them return now.  So, I think you can IR him rather than cut someone else and expose them to waivers, and he has to sit out 4 or 6 weeks (I don't remember the length) like a normal IRed player.

21 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Loved him in the draft.

I am like 90% sure that you can IR players before cut down and have them return now.  So, I think you can IR him rather than cut someone else and expose them to waivers, and he has to sit out 4 or 6 weeks (I don't remember the length) like a normal IRed player.

I just heard about this on a podcast, up to two players can be designated to return. They can be placed on IR as part of the cutdown to 53 (not before) and not having to wait to make the 53.