53 Man Roster & Practice Squad Discussion Thread

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because a lot of them were still on very good cheap rookie contracts and they still had development upside. We just replaced them with a bunch of journeyman middle aged free agents on 1 year contracts. 

Yeah, the guys they brought in… aka their guys! This happens every regime change. Can't forget about the Comanthers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

This is stupid. He was a highly regarded prospect and we have no other young talent on the interior 

It is almost to the point of vindictive.

It will be interesting to see how many of these guys clear waivers and get on practice squad.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Same, but they always say if a guy is playing most of the 2nd half in week 3 that they're likey going to br a cut. I was surprised as well and surprised that MacNichol made it over CRod too. Hopefully CRod & Wylie are practice squaders.

Wiley can do everything Ekeler does. Only thing I’m not sure of is Pass Pro. 

• Like 1

There are only 12 players left, from Rivera's 4 years of drafting.

The dirty dozen:

- BRobinson RB

- JBates TE

- DBrown WR

- CPaul G/T

- SCosmi - G

- BSt-Juste - CB

- EForbes CB

- PMathis - DT

- JDavis Edge/LB

- QMartin  S

- DForrest S

- PButler S

And I could easily see a couple more from this list, on their way out as well.

Got to get rid of Mathis. He's just not very good.

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

There are only 12 players left, from Rivera's 4 years of drafting.

The dirty dozen:

- BRobinson RB

- JBates TE

- DBrown WR

- CPaul G/T

- SCosmi - G

- BSt-Juste - CB

- EForbes CB

- PMathis - DT

- JDavis Edge/LB

- QMartin  S

- DForrest S

- PButler S

And I could easily see a couple more from this list, on their way out as well.

Got to get rid of Mathis. He's just not very good.

Out of 33 players RR drafted that’s what’s left 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because a lot of them were still on very good cheap rookie contracts and they still had development upside. We just replaced them with a bunch of journeyman middle aged free agents on 1 year contracts. 

This whole roster is getting turned over. Some of those players may go on to be successful elsewhere, but lets not act like everyone player can be successful in every scheme. 

None of the players released were household names. 

• Like 1

I am shocked that McNichols made it over CRod & Wylie but maybe that's a special teams thing. I am not shocked at the group of WRs they kept. I kept forgetting about Pringle when I’d mention Kaz Allen & Tremayne. 

I am shocked by the Stromberg cut. Like @lavar703 I really thought he'd be a future starting center for us when we drstres him. Maybe he's a PS guy?

Also shocked that Walker made it over Pittman but maybe that's just semantics. I thought Pittman was more of a MLB while Walkeer isn't & then Jamin can play outside like Walker can. Former Falcons MLB Deion Jones was cut by Car, so maybe Quinn wants to bring him in. 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I keep hearing that WR Noah Brown has had a 150 yard receiving game & a 170 yard receiving game.

Is that true?

Hell, I'm not sure Scary Terry has done that. Lol

Yes, 172 against Bengals and 153 against Tampa 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

For those of you who need, or want this info.

Waiver wire

The Washington Commanders had the No. 2 overall pick in this year’s draft, which led to them drafting Jayden Daniels. Another benefit of that bad last season is they also have the No. 2 spot on the NFL’s waiver priority list. There has been some misconceptions about what that means for the team, how it works, and how long it lasts, so we’re going to lay it all of here before the season starts.

• The waiver order goes by original draft order not counting trades. The Carolina Panthers maintain the top spot for waivers, not the Chicago Bears who had the No. 1 pick via trade.
  • Teams maintain their places on the waiver priority list through Week 3 of the regular season.
  • After Week 3 the waiver priority order is determined by reverse order of wins.
  • Teams don’t lose their spot on the priority list like in fantasy football.
  • Teams can put in as many waiver claims as they want, and will be awarded the player(s) if they are the highest claiming team. Any players added through waivers will need a corresponding roster move to make room for them on the roster.
  • The claiming team picks up the player’s contract, not including any signing bonuses the their original team already paid.
  • Vested veterans aren’t subject to waivers until after the trade deadline which will be after Week 9 this season.
  • Players who are waived/injured, and not claimed, revert to that team’s injured reserve unless an injury settlement is agreed to

Probably worth noting that a lot of the determination of who gets kept on the initial roster and who gets cut comes down to an educated guess as to which guys have the best chance of coming back on the PS. 

Probably a little easier to bring back UDFA rookies like Michael Wiley and Sam Hartman on the PS than it would be to keep more proven veteran commodities like Jeremy Reaves and John Ridgeway there.