53 Man Roster & Practice Squad Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't see anyone defending Rivera's draft class.  I think we are questioning the moves that are questionable.  For instance keeping Jeremy McNichols, a RB who is turning 29 that never was and then getting rid of a young guy like KJ Henry who has showed out every chance he has got.  

Obviously, more cuts are coming.  Both the WR room and cornerbacks are stunningly unimpressive.  

By the way, one piece of real positive news is neither Coleman or Newton were put on IR.  

Special teams. A lot of people forget that the last what? 10-11 guys to make a roster are the special teams guys. If guys are kept over others even if the others showed more in preseason games, the decision probably came down to who the ST coordinator wanted on his unit.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What does releasing KJ Henry tell us about the desire to build for the long-term?

Hey gang, we’re going to move on from this 25-year-old kid who has shown some flashes — and the reason we’re doing it is because we’re building for the long-term, not just for Week 1.

Unrelatedly, we’ll also be giving all the primary snaps at DE to Dorance Armstrong, Clelin Ferrell, and Dante Fowler.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What does releasing KJ Henry tell us about the desire to build for the long-term?

Hey gang, we’re going to move on from this 25-year-old kid who has shown some flashes — and the reason we’re doing it is because we’re building for the long-term, not just for Week 1.

Unrelatedly, we’ll also be giving all the primary snaps at DE to Dorance Armstrong, Clelin Ferrell, and Dante Fowler.

They kept the DE they drafted - Jean Baptiste - over keeping Henry. Neither of them are anything more than a 4th DE currently. That happens a lot when a new regime comes in.

37 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't see anyone defending Rivera's draft class.  I think we are questioning the moves that are questionable.  For instance keeping Jeremy McNichols, a RB who is turning 29 that never was and then getting rid of a young guy like KJ Henry who has showed out every chance he has got.  

Obviously, more cuts are coming.  Both the WR room and cornerbacks are stunningly unimpressive.  

By the way, one piece of real positive news is neither Coleman or Newton were put on IR.  

As Turtle said, McNichols could be ST player. Also, it's a numbers game at the specific positions. We keep more at one than another. I liked Henry and was surprised we cut him. But I also am a realist that the most he has shown is flashes. A few sacks where he was unblocked but I can't really remember ever being wowed by the guy (even in preseason). I probably would've kept him over someone else, but I'm not seeing him day after day or the other guys at his position. 

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They kept the DE they drafted - Jean Baptiste - over keeping Henry. Neither of them are anything more than a 4th DE currently. That happens a lot when a new regime comes in.

I’m not really attacking the notion of not keeping Henry.

I’m mostly just taking issue with JP trying too hard to make everything fit this narrative of “it’s about the future, not just day one.” If what you’re worried about is the future of the team, then why would you keep Dante Fowler on the roster over Henry?

Some of these cuts, got me a little nervous. I'm not gonna lie.

I sure hope we plan on some waiver wire pick-ups.

I thought Rodriguez & Wiley looked better than Mnichols. And they were younger.

If I was level headed & not so much a homer, I'd rethink my 11-6 prediction.

The WR room kinda scares me a bit.

But there's 2 reasons, I will not remove my homer glasses.

1) I think our Defense will be much better. How much? I don't know. But Dan Quinn teams play to the whistle. They hit & cause turnovers. Which I believe is the most important stat in football....period! Turnovers decide more games than any other statistic, imo. I just hope we got the players, that can do it.

And 

2) this guy!

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If this was truly ‘The Process 2.0’ then I think you’d see a lot of the remaining talent on the defense kicked out the door like Jon Allen and Payne, and you wouldn’t have seen the pair of LBers brought in either.    

I can’t believe there are a lot of folks on here defending Rivera’s draft classes.  They were truly awful, even going back to Carolina where he had some semblance of control.  The only one I don’t understand is Stromberg, but even then, he appeared to have an injury designation release.  

Uh I was killing his draft picks in real time and got crushed for being negative on here because of it. The only player I'm disappointed about them cutting is Henry and maybe Stromberg. Outside of that, the rest can go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And look guys, I get that something similar to The Process, or a rebuilding year, or whatever you want to call it, is gonna suck.  Especially after what we’ve been through with Daniel Snyder during his entire tenure.  

But I can speak to this as a long-suffering Orioles fan…….the day we hired Mike Elias, I put a lot of faith in him.  He rewarded it immediately with some decisions and hires, but a lot of it was made clear a year later when he cleared house of a lot of scouts and people in the development system who never got with the new program.  

All of these things take time to do, and to do them right.  It’s an evaluation year not just on the field, but off it for those people in the front office.  Peters has to evaluate who is getting with the program, and who is not, and weed those people out.  

It sucked to watch five years of losing…….but to have the team we are poised to have for the next 5-10 years was worth the wait, including some long-term changes that aren’t even bearing fruit immediately like the investment in the Caribbean talent pipeline.  

It’s going to suck to watch a year of losing in 2024, but this is setting us up for a great future starting in 2026 when it all comes together.  

I don't want to hear about the Orioles tank job. Your team is the reason my team doesn't have Paul Skenes lol

Stay positive guys, if you can.

There's some pretty good talent on the waiver wire, we could nab today.

I've been reading a little on WR Noah Brown.

He's apparently a really good blocker as well. I mean, wouldn't that be the kind of guy that would fit here?

He's had injury issues, but he's got to better than Pringle, right?

I believe Noah also plays special teams, or has before.

I like Jamison Crowder. I'm cool with keeping him. Good returner, too.

But Pringle is just another guy to me.

Let's sign Noah Brown & cut Pringle.

40 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't want to hear about the Orioles tank job. Your team is the reason my team doesn't have Paul Skenes lol

It’s more than a tank job, it was a total change in the way that business was done that the previous ‘owner’ didn’t let them do.  But your point still stands…….and Dylan Crews is a monster, and yall killed it in the Juan Soto trade in the way that 99% of those deals wouldn’t. 

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Uh I was killing his draft picks in real time and got crushed for being negative on here because of it. The only player I'm disappointed about them cutting is Henry and maybe Stromberg. Outside of that, the rest can go. 

I was overly positive the 1st and 2nd drafts, but it was clear it was bad.  Henry and Stromberg are definite question-marks, but this is what happens in regime changes.  At least from what I am seeing, the players being kept over these guys don’t have immediate ‘Panther-Skin’ like ties to the coaching staff. 

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s more than a tank job, it was a total change in the way that business was done that the previous ‘owner’ didn’t let them do.  But your point still stands…….and Dylan Crews is a monster, and yall killed it in the Juan Soto trade in the way that 99% of those deals wouldn’t. 

Crews was an awesome consolation prize but I still am just baffled by MLBs draft lottery. But that is a conversation for another time