The official Watson is WASHED, I told you so thread

MWil23

33 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Hopefully the money can be rolled over to 2025 freedom and beyond. That’s where things start to get tight. I’m not the salary cap expert though so no clue how some of this stuff works.

Best explanation I can think of

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Best explanation I can think of

Until they have dead cap into void years when he’s not here anymore. Eventually we will have to absorb something.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Until they have dead cap into void years when he’s not here anymore. Eventually we will have to absorb something.

Oh for sure, and we’ll have a year or two purging of older talent and collecting assets and fixing the cap and hopefully start things all over again for another long run at winning something substantial.

The Moneyball front office(s) clearly doesn’t value being that purgatory team that’s just stuck on a 7 win treadmill.  Either nuke the thing, collect assets and start building again with a war chest or push your chips to the middle and run it till you can’t any longer.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh for sure, and we’ll have a year or two purging of older talent and collecting assets and fixing the cap and hopefully start things all over again for another long run at winning something substantial.

I guess that’s just my biggest irritant with the apologistic mindset on defending Barry. The “salary cap doesn’t exist” argument isn’t true.

Let’s say we don’t re-sign him. 2027-2028 is going to be dead cap Armageddon, followed by a firesale and letting other talent walk, while praying we can draft well in 2025-2026, because aside from Emerson, Jones, and like 1-2 other dudes, there ain’t much to build on.

So you have no salary cap and no way to build around a rookie quarterback, even if he doesn’t suck, and then no surrounding foundation…and then what? By 2029-2030, about the time you have to pay him half a billion dollars and hopefully some other guys have stuck, you have limited your ability to build around him by not being able to take advantage of the rookie deal.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The Moneyball front office(s) clearly doesn’t value being that purgatory team that’s just stuck on a 7 win treadmill.  Either nuke the thing, collect assets and start building again with a war chest or push your chips to the middle and run it till you can’t any longer.

It’s funny because that latter option is the opposite of Moneyball.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess that’s just my biggest irritant with the apologistic mindset on defending Barry. The “salary cap doesn’t exist” argument isn’t true.

it’s definitely true, but the willingness of an owner to write checks can impact how true it is.

Let’s say we don’t re-sign him. 2027-2028 is going to be dead cap Armageddon, followed by a firesale and letting other talent walk,

older talent specifically.  By then you’re looking at probably moving on/have moved on from Myles, Ward, Chubb, Teller, Bitonio, Pocic, Conklin, Cooper, Jeudy, etc..

while praying we can draft well in 2025-2026, because aside from Emerson, Jones, and like 1-2 other dudes, there ain’t much to build on.

yeah this is pretty much it.  Gotta restock the shelves with enough talent to keep things relatively competitive short term while you rebuild.

So you have no salary cap and no way to build around a rookie quarterback, even if he doesn’t suck, and then no surrounding foundation…and then what? By 2029-2030, about the time you have to pay him half a billion dollars and hopefully some other guys have stuck, you have limited your ability to build around him by not being able to take advantage of the rookie deal.

If you’re Andrew Berry, or any GM really, you’re not worried about 2030 in 2024.  

We had precisely one GM who planned long term and he was canned after like 2 years making the whole thing irrelevant for him.  Berry was here and part of that group and I’m sure he knows his job is to win now, not set up his replacement for success.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

First one looked like it slipped, second was bad, but that last one had me screaming at my television last fall lol.

One of the dumber plays I’ve seen.

Legitimately up there with that Jon Kitna left handed pick 6 as he was being sacked

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Let’s say we don’t re-sign him. 2027-2028 is going to be dead cap Armageddon, followed by a firesale and letting other talent walk, while praying we can draft well in 2025-2026, because aside from Emerson, Jones, and like 1-2 other dudes, there ain’t much to build on.

I feel your pain but the turn around can be cat quick.

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

First one looked like it slipped, second was bad, but that last one had me screaming at my television last fall lol.

One of the dumber plays I’ve seen.

I remember the first one. Defender tipped it. Made it look way worse than it actually was.

Tennessee one was horrible, but let's not forget he actually had a very good game. And of course that was the game when he initially got injured.

• Like 1