53 Man Roster Cuts & Discussion.

GW21

I am still trying to wrap my head around Thomas over Ya-Sin.  Most of the time these decisions come down to two unknown quantities and the team's projection compared to my projection of the young player.

This one is different in that Thomas and Ya-Sin have played a ton of football.  I feel like Ya-sin has been better at every point in their careers, including this pre-season.  He was drafted higher, and he is more consistent.  I think Ya-Sin woulda been the 9ers 3rd best corner last year.  This one is just a head scratcher for me.  

I don't hate keeping 7WR's, even though that is a lot of dudes.  Juice is counting more toward the TE room, or we are looking at a WR for TE trade.  

DE depth sucks.  OT depth is worse.  We tend to find somebody to fill in at DE, whether it be trade or from the bottom of the roster, but I have my doubts about whether this team can field a half decent O-line.  Relying on Brock to be Walter Peyton in the pocket seems like it's playing with fire.  Brock's throw mechanics look really solid this year.  He has that little fade away against pressure that is just cool to watch, I just hope he can stay healthy and protect himself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is Saubert and a Tackle as we have zero backups right now with Trent holding out. 

I hadn't even really considered Tackle just because I keep thinking about Trent lol. Have to take it seriously that he may miss time. 

I just don't understand why SF didn't put Feliciano or Thomas on IR-DFR yesterday. They were allowed to do so for two players and only did it for Kalia. Would have been able to keep Kingston

11 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I just don't understand why SF didn't put Feliciano or Thomas on IR-DFR yesterday. They were allowed to do so for two players and only did it for Kalia. Would have been able to keep Kingston

If they designate them to return now, it uses up one of the max options they have for the entire season. Given the unknown recovery on Feliciano and likely just wanting to stash Ambry, they probably didn't want to burn an IR designated to return on them. 

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I am still trying to wrap my head around Thomas over Ya-Sin.  Most of the time these decisions come down to two unknown quantities and the team's projection compared to my projection of the young player.

This one is different in that Thomas and Ya-Sin have played a ton of football.  I feel like Ya-sin has been better at every point in their careers, including this pre-season.  He was drafted higher, and he is more consistent.  I think Ya-Sin woulda been the 9ers 3rd best corner last year.  This one is just a head scratcher for me.  

I don't hate keeping 7WR's, even though that is a lot of dudes.  Juice is counting more toward the TE room, or we are looking at a WR for TE trade.  

DE depth sucks.  OT depth is worse.  We tend to find somebody to fill in at DE, whether it be trade or from the bottom of the roster, but I have my doubts about whether this team can field a half decent O-line.  Relying on Brock to be Walter Peyton in the pocket seems like it's playing with fire.  Brock's throw mechanics look really solid this year.  He has that little fade away against pressure that is just cool to watch, I just hope he can stay healthy and protect himself. 

Because it wasn't a straight Thomas vs Ya-Sin choice. Its a choice between having the possibility to have Thomas in 8/9 weeks if you get hit by the injury bug or not. The moment they can Thomas will go on IR and he might return if needed but i can easily see him being on there the whole year. It can easily be one of those handshake type deals with Ya-Sin where he will be back today/tomorrow once Thomas has gone on IR. There is no debate who the better player is but having the flexibility to have Thomas when needed is in my eyes a logical one even though i am not sure i would've made that one myself. In the end its about roster manipulation and overall i would say we are pretty good at that.

7 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Because they didn't want to lock them in as a one of the 8 players to return. Either because they might not want that player to return perse which can be said in Thomas's case or they might no be sure when and if Feliciano is ready to go again. So they want to keep the flexibility. Sucks to lose a guy like Kingston who they might feel would be able to pass waivers or he might not have even been the guy that made the roster if we did the IR-DFR for either.

• Like 1

And as for Womack, not surprised one bit he got claimed. Predicted that yesterday. 

Definitely does suck losing Kingston who had some potential to develop into a starter. Our OL is simply not good enough or young enough to be losing guys like Kingston. Big fail. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they designate them to return now, it uses up one of the max options they have for the entire season. Given the unknown recovery on Feliciano and likely just wanting to stash Ambry, they probably didn't want to burn an IR designated to return on them. 

Yeah, just seems like Feliciano is definitely somebody you would want to designate for return, unless they think his injury is more serious than reported (or the opposite - maybe he will only miss one or two weeks?)

30 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Because they didn't want to lock them in as a one of the 8 players to return. Either because they might not want that player to return perse which can be said in Thomas's case or they might no be sure when and if Feliciano is ready to go again. So they want to keep the flexibility. Sucks to lose a guy like Kingston who they might feel would be able to pass waivers or he might not have even been the guy that made the roster if we did the IR-DFR for either.

Why not just release Thomas with an injury settlement then? That way he could be return when healthy if they wanted him.