Opening Night GDT 9/5: Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs

Chiefer

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Looks that way. Of course, Andrews is also coming back from injury but Likely is that guy right now. Definitely TE1.

Likely - another guy that I wanted in the draft and he just fell to the Ravens and of course, they took him.  It happens almost every year.  You guys are incredible that way!  :D

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Lamar is fine.

So, not “very good”, right? 

Lamar ran the ball “very good”. He didn’t have a “very good” night throwing the ball. That’s not all on him because the OL was bad, but he was under and overthrowing receivers all night, a bunch were open. You won’t get more open than Zay in the end zone, but he under threw Zay down the sideline earlier in the game, sailed it on Likely, couldn’t hit guys in the flat. He wasn’t the reason they lost, but miss me with the “very good” game stuff.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Blackstar12 said:

The most shocking thing about the ending was Bateman caught a long pass for once lol.

This. It feels like 9/10 times, Bateman would have dropped that. They badly need him to make deep plays like that this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ravens did this protection on the last 2 plays and both times I thought Chris Jones was going to pick up lil Justice Hill and just carry him into Lamar.

Hill held his own both times somehow

Jones was exhausted, Ravens knew it. Knew he couldn’t catch Lamar if you put a body on him, anybody 

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Derrick Henry is a product of the OL. When he's getting hit in the backfield while getting the ball, not much he's gonna do.

We saw on the first drive what kind of impact he can have, but the Ravens went away from that immediately, probably beacuse week 1 and they don't have a ton installed yet at this point.

I expect more as the season goes along but I mean yeah he was largely ineffective outside of those short yardage situations

Yeah I should have rephrased. Henry essentially had nothing to work with. The Ravens OL was getting almost zero push most of the night on creating holes for the run game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Lamar ran the ball “very good”. He didn’t have a “very good” night throwing the ball. That’s not all on him because the OL was bad, but he was under and overthrowing receivers all night, a bunch were open. You won’t get more open than Zay in the end zone, but he under threw Zay down the sideline earlier in the game, sailed it on Likely, couldn’t hit guys in the flat. He wasn’t the reason they lost, but miss me with the “very good” game stuff.  

To be fair, it is Week 1.  We are probably going to see that from a lot of QB's this weekend.

1 minute ago, Soko said:

He wasn't very good, but I don't think he was making it harder out there for the Ravens really. But yes some passes were nasty. 

2 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

To be fair, it is Week 1.  We are probably going to see that from a lot of QB's this weekend.

100%. I think this is going to be the trend  with the usage rates down in preseason/camp.

I’m not saying Lamar’s shot for 2024, but I’m gonna call people out for trying to paint this like a valiant performance from a quarterback. 

Just now, Soko said:

I mean who cares? There's nothing new Lamar needs to show or nothing insightful to pundit on 7 years in. Lamar is good enough to keep an offense in a game against the leagues best even with major issues elsewhere on his side. If Lamar stays healthy it's a near lock the Ravens will be back in the playoffs. His highend game is elite. Some inconsistencies are there for almost everyone. I don't need anything more to be happy at QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah I should have rephrased. Henry essentially had nothing to work with. The Ravens OL was getting almost zero push most of the night on creating holes for the run game. 

3 new starters is a huge factor in that, and they've been pretty bad all offseason as well by all reports. I hope it gets cleaned up but if not we're gonna have to make magic happen this season with how we scheme things because just hat-for-hat against teams isn't gonna work.

Just now, wackywabbit said:

I mean who cares? There's nothing new Lamar needs to show or nothing insightful to pundit on 7 years in. Lamar is good enough to keep an offense in a game against the leagues best even with major issues elsewhere on his side. If Lamar stays healthy it's a near lock the Ravens will be back in the playoffs. His highend game is elite. Some inconsistencies are there for almost everyone. I don't need anything more to be happy at QB.

Feels like Lamar is the only QB where when he's not literally perfect, people just say he's meh.