Opening Night GDT 9/5: Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs

Chiefer

20 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Tbh I thought a lot of the post-game press conference quotes from the Ravens weren't the best of looks. Lamar said he still thought Likely's catch was a TD, Likely said "good luck in the postseason" to the back to back superbowl champs, and Roquan Smith accused Mahomes of flopping and tried to threaten....Peyton Hendershot? Maybe I'm just spoiled by how well trained our main guys are at this, but like....just say the generic "We made some mistakes and we need to play better but we'll get it fixed" and move on.

It was definitely full of bad looks. Which again, kinda surprising, given that my perception was that Lamar took the high road for most of the offseason. Reminds me a lot of the sour grapes from the 49ers after the loss to Philly, but at least they had a legit excuse (losing Purdy).

52 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Tbh I thought a lot of the post-game press conference quotes from the Ravens weren't the best of looks. Lamar said he still thought Likely's catch was a TD, Likely said "good luck in the postseason" to the back to back superbowl champs, and Roquan Smith accused Mahomes of flopping and tried to threaten....Peyton Hendershot? Maybe I'm just spoiled by how well trained our main guys are at this, but like....just say the generic "We made some mistakes and we need to play better but we'll get it fixed" and move on.

Felt very uncharacteristic of this iteration of the Ravens. Back in the Ray/Ed/Suggs days they'd talk smack win or lose after every big game against the Patriots. Typically the Lamar Ravens have been in line with your last quote. Although that started to change a bit when Roquan came in, that guy is a trash talking fiend. I love it but obviously after a loss and a game like that it's off putting. Games like last year after sweeping the Bengals and Roquan saying "enjoy the offseason Cincinnati" it feels much more apropos

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah even looking at this footage of behind Lamar, he still missed Bateman by...like 3 yards. He had to have been expecting Bateman to cut his route and zig back inside but I have a hard time believing that he would've hit Bateman even if Bateman managed to do that based on where the ball ended up going.

Just an awful play from Lamar, tbh. I get rushing the throw because you know Chris Jones is behind you against Justice Hill, but damn...

I mean, 3 yards is well within the margins of an expected catch if Bateman tops the route in the opposite direction.  If Lamar throws it directly at Bateman, you are giving the defender an opportunity to undercut the pass for an interception. The ball needs to be thrown into the open area of the zone where the WR works to it.

Here's a clip where Purdy anticipated Aiyuk running a short post to attack the soft spot in Seattle's zone but Aiyuk ran a curl instead. Aiyuk's vertical reach is a little under 3 yards and the ball is off his finger tips with a full stretch. And we know this was Aiyuk running the wrong route because he was chewed out on the sideline by Shanahan right after. Anticipatory throws simply have the potential of looking really bad when the QB and WR aren't on the same page.

Edited by typecast

24 minutes ago, Soko said:

Has anything come out yet about the refs letting Spags call that TO?

Broadcast didn't show it but the ref that awarded the timeout was reacting to Reid. Even if Spags had been awarded the timeout, the rulebook doesn't penalize it. It simply states that refs shouldn't award a timeout called by anyone that isn't the head coach or a player on the field (non-substitute). If they inadvertently do, the timeout call stands.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, typecast said:

Broadcast didn't show it but the ref that awarded the timeout was reacting to Reid. Even if Spags had been awarded the timeout, the rulebook doesn't penalize it. It simply states that refs shouldn't award a timeout called by anyone that isn't the head coach or a player on the field (non-substitute). If they inadvertently do, the timeout call stands.

Thanks, didn’t realize Reid called it already. Wasn’t expecting a penalty, but the league addressing it or something (which is unnecessary with context).

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Peyton Hendershot?

Hendershot is not an active player and shoving Roquan on the sideline.

Its similar to the Eagles Big Dom situation. Has to be ejected and 15 yard penalty or else you can have other non-active players doing the same or worse with no consequences.

In fact there should be even more severe consequences such as potential draft pick forfeiture if it happens more than once.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Who said anything about type of play? The reasons both Team are hated or were hated by the masses is there complete and utter dominance. The perceived notion, they get/got every call, every game goes / went  Pat/Tom's way. Right wrong or indifferent the refs are always on their side, aiding in the win.

When you dominate a Division, dominant a Conference and win 3 SB in 5 years, people will start to hate. Like they did the 90's Cowboys,  80's 49ers, 70's Steelers. 

Comes with the territory of excellence. When you are classified in the rare territory of the word Dynasty. Not really rocket science? Chief Fans should be glad, just smile, smirk and laugh. Like Patriots fans did for 20 years.

Well from that aspect sure. But I just feel like our version of it is at least more entertaining. That game last night was literally a toe away from a different ending.

It’s like this every week man. It’s downright exhausting as a fan, which is a spoiled mindset I know. Just doesn’t help the blood pressure is all I’m saying. like I’m conditioned from years of Chiefs failure that I never think we’re gonna put anybody away. It never feels inevitable in the moment. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah that's wild

Spin zone: i'd rather the team have the "we feel like we got gypped/beat ourselves" weird unearned confidence they seem to have after this loss rather than the potential alternative where they are just completely resigned to the fact that they can't beat the Chiefs and morose about everything

I think you can accomplish that by saying something like:

”We came up short today. This loss stings but there’s a long season ahead, and we hope to have the opportunity to see them again down the road.”

Stating it that way makes it downgrade who the chiefs are as though they aren’t that good and “we didn’t play our best but they did” type of way.

18 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Lose by a TD and still not getting over the hump vs KC and talking trash. Interesting.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

The Ravens can say this is worst they'll play all they want - but Lamar won't be carrying the ball 16 times a game or their season will be over in a few weeks. And him running was a huge element Thursday night

10 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

The Ravens can say this is worst they'll play all they want - but Lamar won't be carrying the ball 16 times a game or their season will be over in a few weeks. And him running was a huge element Thursday night

I was really surprised by the lack of Derik Henry in the game. Only 13 carries. I think they will need to bump that number up a bit to get him going if they can.

Just now, DadbodMahomes said:

I was really surprised by the lack of Derik Henry in the game. Only 13 carries. I think they will need to bump that number up a bit to get him going if they can.

Yep. And we also know with the Chiefs that this is not going to be the best they'll play this year