Week Two 9/15/24 game thread: vs Houston

beardown3231

14 hours ago, Epyon said:

Thoughts for the week (hot takes and overreactions).

1. Odunze can and should be inactive'd or outright IR'd (to return later)....  We aren't a superbowl team with our current Center, preserve the kid for the future. I don't want him to RG3 himself because the coaches couldn't protect him from himself.  It'll also give us a bit of time to really put Scott through the ringer to see if the kid is worth keeping around going forward.

I don't think he is that hurt.  But he if is sore he should sit out. 

2. IDGAF if Allen plays or not with his heel injury.... As far as I'm concerned, he's washed until he proves otherwise. Last week didn't help his case (though Waldron ran him deep a number of times for some reason vs Tennessee.... man is slower than our TEs at this point) . I will say this though.. They forced the ball to Allen too much last week. I don't want to see that continue. He CAN still get open, and did a number of times. He will get his. It doesn't need to be forced, and last week felt forced.

By many accounts he looked good in camp.  I guess we will see.  That foot seemed to be bugging him a lot on Sunday. 

3. I'd also lean towards Roschon getting in the mix. When we had a goal line run, I distinctly remember thinking that was a play for Roschon and we got stuffed hard because he was inactive.

Roschon hasn't practiced much.  I think he has talent and needs some reps.  Tough with his limited offseason.  

4. I REALLY don't like having Velus and Khalil Herbert both in the running back room right now.  It feels a bit redundant having two outside zone running backs who couldn't catch a cold.  Should have traded one or both before the season tbh.  Either is a better pure runner than Roschon, but Roschon can actually block, catch, and pound a short yardage run more effectively (and is also going to be around longer).

Seems we really only have one guy the current OC trusts do everything at moment.

5. I'm not really sure I've seen a reason that Homer or Blasingame are still here.  Special Teams.

6. The OL interior was bad enough last week to where jobs should be in jeopardy. Our biggest asset right now is Caleb, and the interior was bad enough last week to be wasting Caleb's development time and/or risking his future. Zach Frazier looks like a damn stud right now, and we could have easily traded down and grabbed still grabbed him with the Odunze pick.  We keep avoiding actually adressing the Center position, and it keeps being a gargantuan black hole of faliure for years now.

Their two DTs dominated the game.   It is same story inside.  Everyone is hurt, some just aren't good, some have bad attitude.  You have to play 3 guys and can't figure out which 3 because who is what changes week to week.   You haven't invested in the positions and it shows.  Plus the one dude is a 400 lb monster and fresh as a daisy in his first game and the other is an all pro.  And then you didn't really have a plan on how to deal with that schematically.  You should have.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

I will add, now that everyone else and their brother has said it.  Kmet didn't get enough reps.

I think the two biggest problems offensively were obvious and we shouldn't over think it.

1) We just couldn't block their DTs.  If you can't block the A gaps nothing works.  It is shortest distance to everything that happens.  You needed to think outside the box and they just played conventionally and lost the rep time and again.  

2) The early pressure plus the first game adrenaline made Caleb play like garbage.  Pressure in your face screws up HOFers in their prime. And he never could get anything going that he could build off and when he did he was so amped up that he over threw it.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think the two biggest problems offensively were obvious and we shouldn't over think it.

2) The early pressure plus the first game adrenaline made Caleb play like garbage.  Pressure in your face screws up HOFers in their prime. And he never could get anything going that he could build off and when he did he was so amped up that he over threw it.

It was his first game in the league, ever, and he was making uncharacteristic mistakes. He's not normally inaccurate or with wonky feet, he did both and hopefully it's just nerves.  I did like that he protected the ball, and generally seemed to know what was going on and who to throw to.  

I feel like we're all having a straw man argument about him, pre-emptively pointing out reasons he'll improve. I think most people on here at least assume that ****ty is not his forever home.  RIght?

Really excited to watch this game. I know the Texans IDL is not as good as the Titans but I expect them to lean heavy into stunts that put Anderson and Hunter in 1v1 situations with our interior. Need to see far better tempo on offense. Caleb wanted to GO but Waldron was holding everything back. Davis or Bates. Pick one and stick to it. Also want to see more Kmet and Herbert. Maybe most pumped to see how our 3 stud CBs handle their 3 stud WRs. That’s going to be one of the funnest matchups to watch league wide this year. Don’t expect a win but expect them to show they’re a good team. I’ll say Texans 30 Bears 23.

1 hour ago, Docknstein11 said:

I know the Texans IDL is not as good as the Titans but I expect them to lean heavy into stunts that put Anderson and Hunter in 1v1 situations with our interior.

That may be their plan of attack, but the thing is that they dont have the power that Simmons/Sweat have to go with the quickness. When watching back, it was rarely that the interior guys got beat by running straight by them, it was more often that they got bowled over, if they didnt mess up their assignment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Odunze was limited today. Allen didn't practice. Both are questionable. Blasingame and Bates are out

Id hope we keep Rome safe from himself

By the reactions, Allen's situation seems like treating a vet with rest on a nagging injury

I hope we have the offense opened up alittle more without Blasingame to muck it all up

Let Bates heal, and just give Shelton and Davis the entire game, its time to sink or swim this week

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That may be their plan of attack, but the thing is that they dont have the power that Simmons/Sweat have to go with the quickness. When watching back, it was rarely that the interior guys got beat by running straight by them, it was more often that they got bowled over, if they didnt mess up their assignment.

Sweat made me think of a bigger stronger faster quicker Vince Wilfork😳 

Simmons is a superstar, if he didn't play in TEN, he would have so much more notoriety

...#91 Keondre Coburn is also a LoAD! 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Wasn't Rome ruled out one time for like a month in college but ended up not missing a single game? 

If it is his choice, I think he will play. May have to step in and save him from himself, esp if Keenan is playing. Dress Scott, activate Johnson from PS, get Rome back for Colts next week 

...all that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Rome out there on Sunday ha ha

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I hope we have the offense opened up alittle more without Blasingame to muck it all up

KB totally wiffed a blocking assignment where Keenan was running free and caleb got hit mid throw. Wouldn't have gone for a TD, but would've gone for 20-30. kA could've had 3TDs, Caleb's overthrow, another pass deflect inside the 15, and then the one Caleb put in his hands but didn't catch

Edited by SLCbear

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Wasn't Rome ruled out one time for like a month in college but ended up not missing a single game? 

He apparently had a fractured rib and punctured lung and only missed a bye week last season.  Kid is tough as nails, though likely also the kind of player that needs to be protected from himself.

• Like 1