#2 WR Before trade deadline?

rlon

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Another player that should not be very expensive.  i would give them a 3rd and then try like hell to sign him before the end of the season.  I doubt they would trade him to the Steelers.

Russ -> Miami 3rd

Miami 3rd -> Cincy

Higgins -> Pitt

Problems solved all the way around.

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

Russ -> Miami 3rd

Miami 3rd -> Cincy

Higgins -> Pitt

Problems solved all the way around.

Except for that being laughably unrealistic....I love it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Except for that being laughably unrealistic....I love it.  

I was being a little sarcastic there. I think if they move Higgins it’s for a 2nd. If we move Russ it’s for a 6th. 

I would actually (imo) put NO near the top of the list of trading for Higgins. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I was being a little sarcastic there. I think if they move Higgins it’s for a 2nd. If we move Russ it’s for a 6th. 

I would actually (imo) put NO near the top of the list of trading for Higgins. 

The Commanders would make a lot of sense

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

They do, but I was looking more at teams that would approach him as a rental since he could still walk at the end of the year. 

When is the deadline for extensions? I can't see any team trading a high draft pick for a half season rental on Higgins. You can only make that deal if you either immediately work out a new deal or if you're confident he's going to resign/you're willing to tag him.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When is the deadline for extensions? I can't see any team trading a high draft pick for a half season rental on Higgins. You can only make that deal if you either immediately work out a new deal or if you're confident he's going to resign/you're willing to tag him.

IIRC, at this point the only way to extend him is to do it between the Super Bowl and the start of the new league year. That’s why I can’t see any team not in some level of contention doing anything. I can easily see a team doing a conditional trade similar to Calvin Ridley where it could be a high pick based on resigning/playoff depth/playing time. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

IIRC, at this point the only way to extend him is to do it between the Super Bowl and the start of the new league year. That’s why I can’t see any team not in some level of contention doing anything. I can easily see a team doing a conditional trade similar to Calvin Ridley where it could be a high pick based on resigning/playoff depth/playing time. 

That makes sense. I think the Commanders still make sense though, they desperately need more weapons and have the space to pay/tag Higgins. But ultimately I have a hard time seeing the Bengals punting the season like that and trading him away. Plus I could see teams being hesitant to give up a lot because they know the Bengals probably aren't paying him or tagging him again.

53 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That makes sense. I think the Commanders still make sense though, they desperately need more weapons and have the space to pay/tag Higgins. But ultimately I have a hard time seeing the Bengals punting the season like that and trading him away. Plus I could see teams being hesitant to give up a lot because they know the Bengals probably aren't paying him or tagging him again.

I don’t think you give up on a season when Joe Burrow is your QB, Home Alone looking jagoff that he is. If the Steelers make a trade for a stellar WR to pair with Pickens, I think the extension needs to be established before the deal is finalized. I also think they need to get a very polished route runner.

I am still very weary of trading anything of significant value at the deadline. Maybe it's just me believing my own BS, but this team isn't anywhere I didn't think they would be  at this stage with Wilson, Fields, or Pickett. I was very pro the first half of our schedule since it came out. I think it's pretty easy to see 6-2 or even 8-0. 

The early portion of this year has been very "we are playing with a backup QB". I didn't get to see any of week 3, but it did look like they finally started to treat Fields like a starter. 

We were the 26th ranked offense by EPA through 2 weeks and got to the middle of the pack (17th) through 3. If we continue to point the arrow up and take the training wheels off Fields to open up the offense, I might change my tune on asset hoarding... but these types of games haven't been the issue. If we continue to play rock fights and win by just not losing I am not moving pieces before the 6th round (which we can't trade right now anyway). 

Kinda blending this post with posts from the other thread about Fields and Wilson...but Wilson was this team's choice in the off-season. They didn't land Fields until AFTER Kenny said he wanted out and the price was too good to be true. I very much would like to see Fields at full capacity as I see that as our best path forward. They could just very well have wanted to bring him on slow behind Wilson and that's why we see simple football so far. But if he keeps checking the box and they unlock more and more of the offense built around him I would be more excited about the opportunity to add to the team. 

...but as of now, these are games we have won in the past with Zombie Ben, Pickett, and Mason Rudolph. IMO, that's not worth the loss of asset to be in the same category of those guys behind center. 

• Like 1