Are we good?

Raves

See title.  The offense has been lights out and letting our already strong defense pin their ears back rushing the passer.  Taylor put the numbers up week 1, Granderson week 2, but Chase Young seems to be constantly causing pressure when he's in.

Oh and the OL hasn't looked bad at all, even vs an elite pass rusher like Micah Parson they held up.  Heck even Penning is doing good with us going with more of a heavy run/play action offense.

3 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I'm hopeful and it scares me.

This 😂

I definitely didn't have the Saints 2-0 and scoring 40+ in both games on my bingo card. Compared to last year, the team just looks completely different. They have life, they have energy. Just makes me hate Carmichael that much more lol

Pinch me.

We might be better than good, this team could be a legit contender. If this isn't fools gold (I know the offense will see some sort of drop off), I don't think any teams outside of SF and KC have top 10 offenses and defenses.

Watching Kamara being used correctly after all these years is bringing tears to my eyes. Please pay that man a lifetime contract. 

The OL has obviously been the biggest surprise this year (so far). Fuaga has stepped right in and been dominant at LT. Penning looks like he could actually be living up to his draft hype as well as a quality RT for us. Obviously still early, but very encouraging to see. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that we were being held back with Pete Carmichael the past couple years as our OC. Kubiak has brought a much more modern and effective scheme/playcalling to maximize our weapons. In some ways it's kind of sad that Carmichael wasted multiple years of Kamara's prime with his terrible play design. Happy to see him back to playing to his top tier level this season for us. Shaheed continues to be an elite deep threat only 2nd to Tyreek Hill since 2022 on 50+ yards plays. Olave could definitely blossom into a top 10 WR this year with how well our offense is running. Glad the front office didn't listen to all the noise from people saying the Saints should just "blow it up" since they are in "cap hell" lol.  

27 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The OL has obviously been the biggest surprise this year (so far). Fuaga has stepped right in and been dominant at LT. Penning looks like he could actually be living up to his draft hype as well as a quality RT for us. Obviously still early, but very encouraging to see. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that we were being held back with Pete Carmichael the past couple years as our OC. Kubiak has brought a much more modern and effective scheme/playcalling to maximize our weapons. In some ways it's kind of sad that Carmichael wasted multiple years of Kamara's prime with his terrible play design. Happy to see him back to playing to his top tier level this season for us. Shaheed continues to be an elite deep threat only 2nd to Tyreek Hill since 2022 on 50+ yards plays. Olave could definitely blossom into a top 10 WR this year with how well our offense is running. Glad the front office didn't listen to all the noise from people saying the Saints should just "blow it up" since they are in "cap hell" lol.  

I mean I was fine with blowing it all up and getting out of future cap issues if they wanted to because I didn't think they'd be looking like Super Bowl contenders just able to make the playoffs and hope for a miracle.  Getting future cap space, stock piling up on picks to rebuild, etc isn't a bad option if done well like what Houston did.  With how they are looking though I wouldn't trade what we go for 10 years straight of having both the #1 and #2 overall picks.

48 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean I was fine with blowing it all up and getting out of future cap issues if they wanted to because I didn't think they'd be looking like Super Bowl contenders just able to make the playoffs and hope for a miracle.  Getting future cap space, stock piling up on picks to rebuild, etc isn't a bad option if done well like what Houston did.  With how they are looking though I wouldn't trade what we go for 10 years straight of having both the #1 and #2 overall picks.

We’ve been on the cusp of winning the division/making the playoffs the past couple years with arguably the worst OC in the NFL. I just never understood the argument to do so. We still have a top tier defense. Would much rather go the route we are and try to build through the draft rather than destroy and rebuild from scratch. Teams like the Chiefs or Ravens didn’t had to blow it up to get their franchise QB’s. 

Houston also had the worst trade in NFL history with the Browns to aid in their rebuild. We wouldn’t have something like that working in our favor. I would worry much more that we stay as a bottom dweller like the Lions (decades of mostly terrible teams until recently), Panthers, Jets, Cardinals, etc for far longer than we’d like rather than being somewhat competitive maybe stuck in mediocrity for a few years kicking the can down the road.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

We’ve been on the cusp of winning the division/making the playoffs the past couple years with arguably the worst OC in the NFL. I just never understood the argument to do so. We still have a top tier defense. Would much rather go the route we are and try to build through the draft rather than destroy and rebuild from scratch. Teams like the Chiefs or Ravens didn’t had to blow it up to get their franchise QB’s. 

Houston also had the worst trade in NFL history with the Browns to aid in their rebuild. We wouldn’t have something like that working in our favor. I would worry much more that we stay as a bottom dweller like the Lions (decades of mostly terrible teams until recently), Panthers, Jets, Cardinals, etc for far longer than we’d like rather than being somewhat competitive maybe stuck in mediocrity for a few years kicking the can down the road.

Think about those situations some more.  Sure the Saints had the worst OC in the NFL and were on the cusp of winning the division/making the playoffs, but they were going to just be in purgatory with the way things had been going.  Although we had high hopes for Kubiak there was nothing guaranteed and I doubt anyone expected the Saints to look as good as they have even when taking into account what they did in the preseason.  The idea of moving on from aging/expensive players like Kamara, Lattimore, etc isn't exactly a bad idea during the offseason after the past few years.

For the Chiefs, they were middling/bad for awhile before Reid came in and turned them around (amazing what competent coaching can do right?) and getting their QB was more of finding someone they really liked and trading up to get him.  Hell he could've been a Saint instead of Lattimore if they hadn't traded up.  Saints would've still been a bad team with Mahomes if we had DA as the HC instead of someone like Payton etc that could actually do something with the offense.

For the Ravens they had a ready built team in place that was being held back by Flacco and had Lamar Jackson fall into their laps when the Saints should've taken him when they traded up instead of Marcus Davenport.

My point with Houston was more on how they went about turning it around.  Although they had a horrid record that got them the #2 overall pick, they had a lot of the young pieces already in place that needed better coaching and just a little more to tip the scales.  DR has been a great coach for them, their lines are both strong, and they have talented young players at almost every position.

For the Saints they would've focused on keeping guys like Olave, Shaheed, Adebo, Taylor, Werner, etc to build around and then use the picks (predicting respectable returns) from Kamara, Lattimore, and not even sure who else we could've moved for value, to look to get some younger guys to build around.  Not even specifically focusing on QB, but just the team in general so that when the QB is brought in everything is already there for them.

37 minutes ago, Raves said:

Think about those situations some more.  Sure the Saints had the worst OC in the NFL and were on the cusp of winning the division/making the playoffs, but they were going to just be in purgatory with the way things had been going.  Although we had high hopes for Kubiak there was nothing guaranteed and I doubt anyone expected the Saints to look as good as they have even when taking into account what they did in the preseason.  The idea of moving on from aging/expensive players like Kamara, Lattimore, etc isn't exactly a bad idea during the offseason after the past few years.

Sure few people expected the Saints to be this dominant. However I think many that followed this situation closely and looked at our roster knew we still had plenty of talent to be a good team in the NFC with a competent OC. Either way I’d much rather watch a team in middle of the road “purgatory” than watch a yearly bottom dweller hoping someday to be competitive.

For the Chiefs, they were middling/bad for awhile before Reid came in and turned them around (amazing what competent coaching can do right?) and getting their QB was more of finding someone they really liked and trading up to get him.  Hell he could've been a Saint instead of Lattimore if they hadn't traded up.  Saints would've still been a bad team with Mahomes if we had DA as the HC instead of someone like Payton etc that could actually do something with the offense.

For the Ravens they had a ready built team in place that was being held back by Flacco and had Lamar Jackson fall into their laps when the Saints should've taken him when they traded up instead of Marcus Davenport.

This highlights that getting a franchise QB doesn’t require blowing it up and that it’s possible to attempt to stay competitive while looking for the long term guy at QB.

The Chiefs had winning records in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 before actually landing Mahomes. They didn’t have to blow it up. They had a solid QB in Alex Smith to keep them competitive while the continued to build rather than blowing it all up for their franchise QB.

The Ravens also had several seasons above .500 prior to drafting Lamar Jackson with records in the years prior not to different than ours in recent years.

My point with Houston was more on how they went about turning it around.  Although they had a horrid record that got them the #2 overall pick, they had a lot of the young pieces already in place that needed better coaching and just a little more to tip the scales.  DR has been a great coach for them, their lines are both strong, and they have talented young players at almost every position.

Let’s also be real for a second with Houston even if we ignore the trade with the Browns. They got incredibly lucky that the Panthers took Young and not Stroud last year. More than likely the Texans come away with Young as their QB had the Panthers taken Stroud 1st overall. Meaning they would likely be a bit of a disaster right now had the Panthers made the correct QB choice. This really just highlights the risk and uncertainty of blowing it up to me. 

For the Saints they would've focused on keeping guys like Olave, Shaheed, Adebo, Taylor, Werner, etc to build around and then use the picks (predicting respectable returns) from Kamara, Lattimore, and not even sure who else we could've moved for value, to look to get some younger guys to build around.  Not even specifically focusing on QB, but just the team in general so that when the QB is brought in everything is already there for them.

So far it’s looking like they made the correct decision to keep the team together and gradually reshape the roster each year. It’s still an unknown if a guy like Rattler is our QB of the future. Would be the ultimate best case scenario for us as we continue to reshape the team going forward. Allow Carr to play for a year or two and if Rattler develops to his potential things could get really fun.

Edited by tyler735

I honestly don't care about a QBotF, and my thoughts on blowing it up were all based on coaching, culture, and the direction of the team based on available assets.  Klint seems to have made coaching and culture much different on the offense to pair with the coaching/culture that DA had developed on defense.

• Like 1

To each their own I suppose, but I definitely care about a QB of the future. It doesn’t have to be “solved” this year, but it definitely is something that needs to be explored in the coming years if the goal is to continue being competitive. Hopefully that guy is already on the roster in Rattler who had a really nice training camp/preseason. Carr at 33 is certainly on the back end of his career, so I’d love to see a smooth transition between QB’s when the time comes. 

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I won't get too excited after two games, we've been down this road before.  But it's nice to watch an offense score 40 plus every week again.

I mean last time the Saints did this, they won the SB.  Not saying it's going to happen again, but let's dream until it crumbles.

• Like 1