BDL 2024 Week 4: Cancun Kaiju @ Rome Eternals

RedGold

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/2024 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2024 Week  4

Match:  Cancun Kaiju @ Rome Eternals

Away Owner:    @Blue @MWil23

Home Owner:    @bcb1213

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Cancun

QB Patrick Mahomes
RB Jonathan Taylor
X WR DK Metcalf
Z WR Chris Olave
TE Hunter Henry
TE Foster Moreau
LT Laremy Tunsil
LG Robert Hunt
C Andre James
RG Zion Johnson
RT Rasheed Walker

RB Aaron Jones
RB Rhamondre Stevenson
WR Dontayvion Wicks
WR Andrei Iosivas
WR Tutu Atwell
TE Josh Whyle
QB Malik Willis
OL Broderick Jones

Edge Kayvon Thibodeaux
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Travis Jones
Edge Gregory Rousseau
LB Ernest Jones
LB Pete Werner
LB SirVocea Dennis
CB Zyon McCollum
CB Jaylen Watson
S Marcus Williams
S Jalen Pitre

Edge Dorance Armstrong
DT Foley Fatukasi
DT Maason Smith
LB KJ Britt
LB Isaiah McDuffie
CB Jack Jones
S Evan Williams
S Geno Stone

Rome

QB Justin Herbert 
RB JK Dobbins
WR Amari Cooper 
WR Jaylen Waddle 
WR Khalil Shakir 
WR Demarcus Robinson 
LT Bernhard Raimann
LG Cam Jurgens 
C Ethan Pocic 
RG Chris Lindstrom 
RT Liam Eichenburg

RB Najee Harris 
RB DeAndre Swiift
WR Keenan Allen 
FB Alec Ingold
TE Cade Otton 
TE Dalton Kincaid 
QB Sam Darnold
OOL. Ted Karras

DE Jaelan Phillips 
UT Dalvin Tomlinson 
NT T’vomdre Sweat 
DE Matt Judon 
LB Eric Kendricks 
LB Nick Bolton 
Star Kyle Hamilton 
CB Jamel Dean
CB Marlon Humphrey
S Tony Adams 
S  Andre Cisco 

Edge Chase Young 
Edge  Chop Robinson 
INT Calais Campbell 
INT Andrew Billings 
LB Alex Anzalone 
CB DJ Reed 
CB Ja’Quan McMillan 
CB Max Melton

Edited by RedGold

Offense:

Y’all didn’t respect Patrick Mahomes last week, so this time we’re going with a run-focused, play action oriented scheme to attack Rome. We’re aiming for a 60-40 run-pass ratio here, holding on to the ball as long as possible to keep our defense fresh and wear down the Rome front.

Rome has some chunky bois up the middle of their defense, so most of our runs will be aimed towards the edges, where Jaelen Phillips and a hobbled Matt Judon are easier to run on. With their lack of pass rush up the middle and facing two excellent pass blockers on the edges, we anticipate Rome attempting to blitz us to disrupt the pass game. To combat that, we will run a lot of draw plays out of the shotgun, stretch plays, and screens off play-action from the I-formation on first and second downs. This should wear out the thin linebacker group for Rome and attack the less effective run defenders at Edge. Jonathan Taylor will pick up 50% of snaps this week (aiming for 20-25 carries), with Aaron Jones playing passing downs and Rhamondre Stevenson spelling both. We will also give Mahomes a couple run-pass option plays where the run option is simply a designed QB run with a back as the lead blocker.

We will run a few two back sets, subbing out Olave for Stevenson next to either Taylor or Jones. In these sets, we’ll run a variety of misdirection plays, including faking the hand-off to the first back and then giving the ball to the second back on a draw; sending both backs out into the flats or angle/sneak routes against Rome’s outmatched linebacker group; and running at least one Statue of Liberty play to Metcalf. We’re hoping Stevenson and Jones get around 10-12 touches each, split roughly equal between carries and catches.

We have a heavy dose of two tight end sets this week, with both Henry and Moreau being strong run blockers. We will alternate between lining each of them up on opposite sides of the formation, side-by-side on the same side of the formation, and motioning one into the backfield as a lead blocker. Josh Whyle has earned some playing time as well and will rotate with Moreau, primarily on passing downs. On said passing downs, one of the tight ends will stay in to block and the other will look to chip a defender before going out on a route over the middle of the field, taking advantage of how Rome’s expected blitz packages leave a hole in coverage.

In the passing game, we anticipate using play-action on nearly every single play that isn’t third and 10+, primarily coming out in I-formation with Mahomes under center. Olave will work intermediate routes with Metcalf going deeper, the two of them often lining up on the same short side of the field. We want to emphasize post and slant routes with both, forcing the safety to commit to helping with one or the other in Cover-1 and giving Olave an opportunity to find the empty middle against Cover-2. Metcalf will also get some fade routes along the sideline, with Mahomes especially looking to go to him against Jamel Dean who has struggled a little bit in the early stages of the season as Tampa’s No. 2 corner following a very rough 2023. On third and long, we’ll operate out of the shotgun to give Mahomes a better look at the defense and utilize pre-snap motion to try to identify the coverage, putting either one of the receivers or a tight end into motion to the opposite side of the formation.

Receivers will once again rotate behind our starters, with Wicks rotating regularly with both starters between the 20s and running the same routes they would be. Andrei Iosivas will get some play in the redzone in some three WR sets where we sub out the back for an empty backfield look. New pickup Tutu Atwell will come in for a few plays between the 20s as well, subbing in for Chris Olave and running deep routes with pre-snap motion to keep the corner from jamming him at the line.

Lastly, we’re giving Malik Willis a handful of snaps this week on second and 3-5 yards to go with a very simple set of plays. He’ll have a draw play handoff to the running back, a designed QB run stretch play to the strongside, and a play-action sideline shot to Atwell/Metcalf (all called in the huddle, using dummy audibles at the line). We mainly want to give Rome a look they haven’t seen before and see if we can get a big play or two out of our athletic backup for future opponents to have to think about.

Defense:

This week, we get a very hungry Rome team, who has battled injuries to start off the season thus far. We are anticipating getting Sam Darnold in a bit of a resurgence year, as opposed to a very dinged up Justin Herbert. JK Dobbins is their only capable running back on the roster, with Swift and Harris both being extreme liabilities, averaging under 2 YPC for Swift and Najee doing classic Najee things averaging 3.8 YPC with zero TD and adding almost nothing in the receiving game. We hope Rome does the unthinkable and actually gives them touches.

Should they decide to play a gimpy Justin Herbert, they will likely be relegated to using a more shotgun approach, and he will be very unlikely to get to wide handoffs or any type of rollout passing, and we will use a much heavier Cover 2 blitz scheme to deny screens and quick passes, making him a sitting duck in the pocket.

When looking at Rome's identity and areas we can exploit, we like our ability to exploit Ethan Pocic, who has had a pretty miserable year and a clear weakness on this team as a very subpar starter. We are forcing both OG to have to help Pocic on the front and back sides, disallowing interior OL to climb to the second level, and forcing a double team on the strong side EDGE with a 1 on 1 opportunity on the back side. If they want to double the EDGE, the WLB and MLB will both be unblocked defenders. If they want to add a FB in the mix, the SAM will violently fit inside on the FB with a Mike being unblocked on the running back.

We are anticipating a heavier personnel group this week, and will go with a base 4-3 Defense (Pitre moves to SS, Williams FS, Stone Off) with our base nickel in reserve should they go 3x1 (Pitre goes to Star, Stone on).

This week, we are going to line up in a double 1 Technique odd front, with the DE (Rousseau) lined up in a JAM technique and a linebacker down on the other TE if they overload with multiple TE looks, to help our EDGEs in run support, setting an EDGE to the playside, with the backside DE setting the edge that way, and a plug backer on the weak side and strong side, while maintaining a 2 high S look. Rousseau will also get time at DT on passing downs in relief of Jones.

gus-idl-double-1-t.png

We anticipate Rome being arrogant out of the gates, trying to dominate and play bully ball with outside run concepts and power/pulling guard concepts, which our alignment on the interior will disallow, forcing double teams on the outside, and if they want to try to get the backside LT to climb on zone blocks, that will leave KT, Rousseau, and Armstrong (Armstrong will go 50/50 with KT) unblocked on the QB booting to his weakside. They will then try to get the quarterback on the move and utilize flood routes and crossing routes, with deeper post concepts to get Waddle the ball vertically. Ernest Jones will also get some snaps as an outside backer in 3-3 looks, playing Allen/Jones/Rousseau as the down linemen and Jones/Thibs as the outside backers and Werner as the mid backer. In these 3-3-5 lineups, we'll alternate between having one of Jones or Thibs drop into coverage or send both on the blitz to keep the QB guessing where pressure is coming from and disrupt protection schemes.

In order to deny cheap flood routes and to eliminate the outside run game, as well as completely take the screen game out of the equation by using Corners in the flats off of the LOS jam, we are going to go with a heavier dose of Cover 2 this week, staying in our 2 high S look (unless they go with a 3 TE or 2 TE and a FB look), forcing Rome to beat us with short anticipatory throws, which we don't believe they can do based off of rhythm and timing.

3SuE4FZJSHkEgLn8HDdA-W-ZA6Tr9R9FNYp5Jzk_

We will be staying on Top of Waddle and baiting Rome's QB on the first and second level throws, believing with his likelihood of flood concepts, that we can force an interception or two, or else force the ball to the flat.

On third downs or long yardage second downs, we like the ability to get a personnel NASCAR group on the field and drop the backside EDGE into the flat coverage, rolling a safety over the top Waddle, and turning Pitre loose in the alley as a run fitter/QB blitzer. He will also have eyes on Dobbins in case they try to utilize him in the screen or passing game.

179b16a0-bba5-452d-806e-56fdb7dc436e_397

If Rome decides to try to get Amari involved in the passing game, we like Cover 2 as a way of getting some hands on him early, as separation is a definitive issue with him in this point in his career, and we don't believe we need to respect him in playing any type of off coverage.

What we have is simple: Stop Dobbins, Stop Waddle, exploit Ethan Pocic, and make the QB run for his life this week, using their philosophy against them on the outside run, boot, flood, and play-action passing concepts.

Rome

\

Offense

This week we are bringing in the vaunted dink and dunk long drive offense no matter if Herbert or Darnold is starting We anticipate Cancun wanting to bring some exotic pressures so by opening up the field it will takes away some of that masking ability 

Now just because we list four wide does not mean we will run it all game.  We will still use isome 11 personnel and occasional two TE looks as well as traditional I formation late in the game

Cancun is another solid defensive line with in what we believe is a marketable drops off to the reserves so we are going to keep the uptempo offense going and tire out the starters on the line for Cancun which should open up running lanes for us later in the game. 

Generally speaking Waddle and Robinson will be be lined up outside with Cooper and Shakir in the slot.  We will also ease Keenan Allen back with some slot snaps moving Cooper out and replacing Robinson.  

To attack the zones we want to run levels, floods z seams, land other zone buster plays.  Every call outside of very long will have easy underneath drag option tp get a quick 4-5 yards easily.  Once they start creeping up to stop it, we'll hit patterns dirrctly behind it while running off the deeper coverage with a speedy WR. Expect the slot wr to get a combined 20-25 or so targets assuming Cancun maintains aa it'snormal zone based defense.  Two TE will involve them running seams and 11 personnel except Kincaid to hit corner routes after the boundary wr runs the deep saferty off 

At RB we'll continue to rotate our backs fairly evenly.  Mostly they are in for blitz pickup and to help out on the right side before leaking out for a safety option

.  As mentioned, later in t halfs and game we'll add more power runs against a tired front. The screen game is also going to be a much bigger part of the plan this week as it works well against a zone based defense. Not only will it be RB screens but bubble screens as well to a WR. We'llalso be incorporatee some jet sweeps with waddles to keep them guessing 

Presnap expect motion on just about every play.  This ililllp the qb quiuukly diagnnoosethe defense as they will have to adjust 

If forr sme foolish reason Cancun decides to go with a man based scheme, the strategy doesn't change much.  We'll take it the top off with our boundary receivers and just let Cooper and Shakir eat and underneath against subpar corners 

Tl/Dr.   Quick strike passing game with occasional deep shots.  Screen passes as extension of run game. Uptempo offense to tire out defense for late in half/game running 

Defense

So this week we get the Patrick Mahomes show. Mahomes has a big time outside threat in DK Metcalf and a banged up Chris Olave in the passing game and Jonathan Taylor in the back field. 

Our main goal this week is to eliminate Metcalf and Taylor and make someone else beat us

We line up Jamel Dean with Metcalf as we want size and speed with him. Dean will be playing inside leverage as he has help over the top on every play with Andre Cisco.  In two TE Humphrey will line up with Olave, in three wide, Reed will get Olave with Humphrey taking whoever is the third WR this week(Kendricks comes off) . McMillan gets the fourth WR.  In two TE Bolton gets Henry and Kendricks gets Moreau.  Hamilton plays up in the box and gets Taylor out of the backfiekd. 

We feel our corner talent matches up very well with the secondary weapons in Cancun.  Scott plays a centerfield role and occasionally underneath robber 

Up front we line up with the meat wall with sweat (or billings when needed) lining up between the center and hunt leaving us one on one with the other guard.  We like our edge rotation matched up against walker while our lb on the tunsil side will fake blitzes presnap to get him to jump early like he did multiple times last week.  Our line will rotate as needed and Campbell will replace Sweat on pass rushing downs. 

Hamilton in the box should help neutralize the run game but we think just about every team would struggle running against our front 

We'll mix in some occasional zones and zone blitzes but it won't be as heavily used as we've done the past couple weeks 

Tl/Dr 

Double and eliminate Metcalf from the game.  Hamilton on Taylor. Make someone else beat us 

Edited by RedGold

So, this one is challenging for me to judge.

First, I will assume that (insert Mwil’s least favorite player) will have a big game in the red zone. Definitely will make a few big plays down the stretch.

Second, I know we allowed to factor in game injuries into our vote, but how much weight should I give a player hurting their teammate. What is the percentage Mahomes takes out Olave after he throws a pick? Please, give advice 

Edited by BodyBurner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BodyBurner said:

First, I will assume that (insert Mwil’s least favorite player) will have a big game in the red zone. Definitely will make a few big plays down the stretch.

I didn’t see Najee Harris having a big day today. I guess that one’s on me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BodyBurner said:

So, this one is challenging for me to judge.

Second, I know we allowed to factor in game injuries into our vote, but how much weight should I give a player hurting their teammate. What is the percentage Mahomes takes out Olave after he throws a pick? Please, give advice 

It would also depend on how early the injury occurs, I'm not sure the other WRs are as capable of stepping in and performing at a similar level of production.

39 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Jonathan Taylor also got hurt the first drive of the fourth and never returned for the @TedLavie

Bold move to draw attention to a guy with 108 total yards of offense in three quarters this week is giving way to a guy with 139 total yards offense this week in the 4th quarter

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Bold move to draw attention to a guy with 108 total yards of offense in three quarters this week is giving way to a guy with 139 total yards offense this week in the 4th quarter

You're not in discord but ted told me too Alert him for these type of scenarios.  Unfortunately with the Verizon outage, discord is not an option today.  Both somehow less than  DeAndre Swift though    Crazy week

Edited by bcb1213
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

You're not in discord but ted told me too Alert him for these type of scenarios

I think y'all take what I say way too seriously.

With that being said, a 4th quarter injury to a RB (even though I love JT) with Aaron Jones and Rhamandre Stevenson on the bench isn't what concerns me the most about Cancun O this week

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I think y'all take what I say way too seriously.

With that being said, a 4th quarter injury to a RB (even though I love JT) with Aaron Jones and Rhamandre Stevenson on the bench isn't what concerns me the most about Cancun O this week

Yeah, giving Josh Whyle snaps as TE3 was a bit of a risky bet but he seems to have taken the starting job from Chig Okonkwo, so I'm optimistic it'll work out

27 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yeah, giving Josh Whyle snaps as TE3 was a bit of a risky bet but he seems to have taken the starting job from Chig Okonkwo, so I'm optimistic it'll work out

Can't be less than productive than Moreau this week so it may be a win there by default