Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

As I stated in the GDT yesterday, the Rams and Cardinals losses were some of Shanny's worst as a HC over the past 7 years. Just inexcusable and downright awful. Unfortunately, that is exactly what this team is at the present moment.

There really is no need for a breakdown of any of these games. Our defense is not good and offensively we can move the ball with the best of them, but until we start executing in the RZ, it is all for nothing. 

The Seahawks are going through bit of a rough patch themselves as they are battling with a lot of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Walker is going to destroy us on the ground and I'm not sure if we can generate much of a pass rush to deter Smith.

There really isn't much reason to pick this team to win on a short week on the road....BUT, maybe because I am a homer, but this is a must win game and I think the team pulls it together just enough to win a tight one that comes down to the wire.

SF 24

SEA 20 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As I stated in the GDT yesterday, the Rams and Cardinals losses were some of Shanny's worst as a HC over the past 7 years. Just inexcusable and downright awful. Unfortunately, that is exactly what this team is at the present moment.

There really is no need for a breakdown of any of these games. Our defense is not good and offensively we can move the ball with the best of them, but until we start executing in the RZ, it is all for nothing. 

The Seahawks are going through bit of a rough patch themselves as they are battling with a lot of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Walker is going to destroy us on the ground and I'm not sure if we can generate much of a pass rush to deter Smith.

There really isn't much reason to pick this team to win on a short week on the road....BUT, maybe because I am a homer, but this is a must win game and I think the team pulls it together just enough to win a tight one that comes down to the wire.

SF 24

SEA 20 

Already mentioned the big tests or concerns on both offense/defense. I have to believe that both coaches notice that the way to play us is man 2 man. We have to scheme against and get easy check downs. Purdy is still going for the big play and some times it’s working and others he begins scrambling left to right and doing too much. We just need to execute and finish in the red zone. 

Defensively, stopping the run game is going to be our Achilles and this game isn’t going to change that. I initially thought our DTs were playing better until the second half, but I would like to see if Sorensen can make adjustments. We have to bracket DK and stop the big play from happening. Yiadom had a better game, but I still feel like he’s going to get picked on this upcoming game. I would like to see some of our rookies (Green/Malik) get more playing time and get necessary snaps. With Hufs injury, I would like to think Malik is going to start unless Kyle puts Odum out there. 

34 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Already mentioned the big tests or concerns on both offense/defense. I have to believe that both coaches notice that the way to play us is man 2 man. We have to scheme against and get easy check downs. Purdy is still going for the big play and some times it’s working and others he begins scrambling left to right and doing too much. We just need to execute and finish in the red zone. 

Defensively, stopping the run game is going to be our Achilles and this game isn’t going to change that. I initially thought our DTs were playing better until the second half, but I would like to see if Sorensen can make adjustments. We have to bracket DK and stop the big play from happening. Yiadom had a better game, but I still feel like he’s going to get picked on this upcoming game. I would like to see some of our rookies (Green/Malik) get more playing time and get necessary snaps. With Hufs injury, I would like to think Malik is going to start unless Kyle puts Odum out there. 

Playing man coverage against our receivers is fine. Aiyuk is going to win his match up more times than none, even against top corners and Jennings is really good at winning his on money downs. Then you have Kittle who will be working against a safety or LB so that should not be an issue. The passing offense is generating plenty of big plays but need to mix in a bit more check downs and just execute in the RZ. Purdy admitted he's not aggressive enough in the RZ when he has good match ups with his top receivers...I've been saying mentioning this all season. You have Aiyuk one on one, just give him a shot to make a play...Same with Kittle. Nothing will be open in the RZ, you have to give your guys a chance to make plays and throw them open. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Things definitely look weird. I hate to speculate on vibes and we could definitely just be in a weird blip of the season where coin flips are aligning against us, but it just doesn't feel like this team is together or on the same page or has the sense of camaraderie and brotherhood that I'm used to feeling from them. Even when we lost in the past, things felt damn hard and like other teams had to claw at us with their fingernails until they bled in order to finish the job because we might be lackadaisical when it comes to being aggressive in making management level decisions, but we were anything but when it came to every detail of blocking and coverage assignments and gaps. We did things relatively simply - a few standard plays on both offense and defense out of a variety of different looks. But we knew every aspect of those few plays and had the personnel to execute assignments such that it was damn hard to beat us. You'd just have to make a bunch of crazy plays to win often. That isn't the case right now. Simple plays are getting it done too often.

On defense, I feel like the issue is just talent drain. We just don't have the dudes and that is going to limit our ceiling as a team. Period. We can try and blitz more and be more flexible and fluid and simulate which guys come and which don't. But we don't really have the personnel for a last year's Ravens style defense. We have a bunch of straight up defensive linemen and straight up linebackers and not a lot of versatile hybrid dudes. We're built rosterwise for a scheme that we won't have the personnel to execute efficiently without a talent infusion.

On offense, I think that it's trying to lean into the part of the playbook that Kyle is worse at coaching - the dropback game. Not only is our offensive line not as great at pass blocking as run blocking, I've never seen a former NFL QB that likes the way we handle it. Too many 7 step drops from under center. Hots where you have to look away from the free man. Some weird splits and alignments that work when you are using them to feign runs but don't do anything to help your route-runners win. And in my opinion, Brock's bailed Kyle out of some of that nonsense by being Brock and making things work that shouldn't early in the season. But that's come crashing down over the last 5 quarters a bit. And our inability to handle blitzes at critical points is just damn painful. It's the sort of thing that if you as a team can't fix, you won't win. Teams are putting their thumb on our pressure points.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

The team just seems burnt out and worn down already at this point in the season. CMC coming back or whatever doesn't feel like it would make enough of a difference.

This reminds me of Harbaugh's last season. SB hangover, all the injuries. Not good 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

The team just seems burnt out and worn down already at this point in the season. CMC coming back or whatever doesn't feel like it would make enough of a difference.

This reminds me of Harbaugh's last season. SB hangover, all the injuries. Not good 

I've been saying the same. Absolutely what it feels like

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

SF 24

SEA 20 

Are you gonna pick the Niners to win every game on you're game day threads b/c you feel obligated to do so? I smell losses to the Chiefs, Cowboys, Bills & Packers down the road regardless of what happens in Seattle! Just a complete waste of a season as the the team was not constructed properly and now the QB is failing. Still can't understand why Bet365 still has the Niners as favs to come out of the entire NFC when I'd put the Packers, Lions, Cowboys, Vikings, Eagles all ahead of them.

13 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Are you gonna pick the Niners to win every game on you're game day threads b/c you feel obligated to do so? I smell losses to the Chiefs, Cowboys, Bills & Packers down the road regardless of what happens in Seattle! Just a complete waste of a season as the the team was not constructed properly and now the QB is failing. Still can't understand why Bet365 still has the Niners as favs to come out of the entire NFC when I'd put the Packers, Lions, Cowboys, Vikings, Eagles all ahead of them.

Definitely not picking them to beat the Chiefs. I mean the Niners have been favorites in every game this year and were the pick for damn near everyone on them...So that's not saying much. I don't care if we win 40-0 on Thursday night, I am not picking this team to beat the Chiefs. 

The Packers/Cowboys/Eagles have hardly looked like juggernauts themselves. The Niners are favorites because they are proven and history has shown that if they do not have a QB injury, they will at least make the conference championship. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely not picking them to beat the Chiefs. I mean the Niners have been favorites in every game this year and were the pick for damn near everyone on them...So that's not saying much. I don't care if we win 40-0 on Thursday night, I am not picking this team to beat the Chiefs. 

The Packers/Cowboys/Eagles have hardly looked like juggernauts themselves. The Niners are favorites because they are proven and history has shown that if they do not have a QB injury, they will at least make the conference championship. 

The reason why I put the Packers & Cowboys ahead of the Niners is b/c of the QB position as for the Eagles even though Jalen Hurts sucks he'd still be able to do to the Niners defense what Kyler Murray did to them yesterday. God only knows what Mahomes & Allen will do to the Niners defense and I don't even know if the Niners can handle a Jared Goff right now when they face the Lions lol! As far as NFC championship game goes well what's the point of getting that far when you just manage to come up short as the furthest they can go is being SB runner up and I've had enough of that. Right now I would let Brocks contract run out after 2025 and then decide if he's worthy of the big pay day b/c right now he's not!

3 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The reason why I put the Packers & Cowboys ahead of the Niners is b/c of the QB position as for the Eagles even though Jalen Hurts sucks he'd still be able to do to the Niners defense what Kyler Murray did to them yesterday. God only knows what Mahomes & Allen will do to the Niners defense and I don't even know if the Niners can handle a Jared Goff right now when they face the Lions lol! As far as NFC championship game goes well what's the point of getting that far when you just manage to come up short as the furthest they can go is being SB runner up and I've had enough of that. Right now I would let Brocks contract run out after 2025 and then decide if he's worthy of the big pay day b/c right now he's not!

Nothing about the Packers QB play has shown they should be ahead of the Niners off that reason. Purdy has been than Love. Don't let yesterday's mishaps in the 2nd half fool you to thinking Purdy is playing bad or has not been good. He was leading damn near all the the advanced statistics and was not benefiting from the Shanny scheme. 

Cowboys? Meh.