Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did not expect this but he does have a strong leg. Others had more kicking experience in the NFL. 

When I saw Moody go down, my first thought was that they NEED a kicker with a strong leg. We simply cannot allow a returner to touch the ball or bad things will 100% happen. 

I really don't understand how our ST is so bad with different coaches and different players over the past couple of years.

23 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

This is probably an Aaron Rodgers decision. I’m not sure why Rodgers dislikes the guy so much cuz it seemed like Saleh was bending over backwards for him. 

This 1 decision doesn’t really mean anything since Saleh is a better DC than HC, but what an organizational mess to give control to a now mediocre 40 year old QB. 

I hope Saleh returns to give us our Spags impersonator - having a failed and unpleasant head coaching tenure to return to doing what they love with little desire to try and do it again for a while. We also miss his juice and energy, I think. Those 2019 and 2020 teams were so much more on defense than the sum of their parts. Super young linebackers and Kwon being a touch of a bust. Janky secondary personnel. The defensive line in 2019 was amazing, but they were helped all the time by clever well executed stunts and nickel blitzes. Even with that line sort of fallen apart physically, Saleh had a game plan that did the job to win that Super Bowl from the defensive point of view. That was a game that the offense lost. The running game lost. The receivers lost. Jimmy G lost. The defense won that football game.

And the 2020 defense was just amazingly mentally tough in spite of lack of talent to put on the field. Even in losses where they were cut to ribbons, it didn't feel like any of the players were missing responsibilities or not knowing what to do. I thought they played a hell of a game and just got gutted by Josh Allen that one time. They survived and thrived without Nick Bosa, which we would never, ever, ever, (more evers) do now. Maybe it's just nostalgia or small samples, but I miss having Saleh on the sidelines. I trusted him to do his job.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I hope Saleh returns to give us our Spags impersonator - having a failed and unpleasant head coaching tenure to return to doing what they love with little desire to try and do it again for a while. We also miss his juice and energy, I think. Those 2019 and 2020 teams were so much more on defense than the sum of their parts. Super young linebackers and Kwon being a touch of a bust. Janky secondary personnel. The defensive line in 2019 was amazing, but they were helped all the time by clever well executed stunts and nickel blitzes. Even with that line sort of fallen apart physically, Saleh had a game plan that did the job to win that Super Bowl from the defensive point of view. That was a game that the offense lost. The running game lost. The receivers lost. Jimmy G lost. The defense won that football game.

And the 2020 defense was just amazingly mentally tough in spite of lack of talent to put on the field. Even in losses where they were cut to ribbons, it didn't feel like any of the players were missing responsibilities or not knowing what to do. I thought they played a hell of a game and just got gutted by Josh Allen that one time. They survived and thrived without Nick Bosa, which we would never, ever, ever, (more evers) do now. Maybe it's just nostalgia or small samples, but I miss having Saleh on the sidelines. I trusted him to do his job.

I can't imagine a Saleh defense blaming complementary football for this recent loss, for one. They would have been super pissed at themselves that they didn't close that game even though the offense crapped itself all day in the red zone.

Perhaps that is also that the pain and frustration of losing and having come so close but not quite has eroded some of our connectivity as a team as we kind of all fall into getting into preemptively pointing the finger.

This is why I've been so impressed with Brock. And Fred. I think those two have the right stuff. Even if it is just on vibes or whatever.

12 minutes ago, JIllg said:

We also had Verrett healthy for once playing at an near All Pro level and obviously had Fred take off. 

What Saleh did with that DL was unreal. Kerry freaking Hyder was our best pass rusher lol. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I can't imagine a Saleh defense blaming complementary football for this recent loss, for one. They would have been super pissed at themselves that they didn't close that game even though the offense crapped itself all day in the red zone.

Perhaps that is also that the pain and frustration of losing and having come so close but not quite has eroded some of our connectivity as a team as we kind of all fall into getting into preemptively pointing the finger.

This is why I've been so impressed with Brock. And Fred. I think those two have the right stuff. Even if it is just on vibes or whatever.

And I don't like that these bad juju vibes seem to follow Brandon Staley wherever he goes lately.

The Jets should change their name to the busses, and their logo can be a bunch of QB's and coaches under the bus!

Seriously, this is a very Jets thing to do.  Salah can coach a defense, I would love to have him back in the building.  

This combo of Staley and Sorenson has been pretty underwhelming.  Young guys are not getting better, we miss a lot of gaps, our zones are not tight and crips, and the only guy that ever seems to improve is Warner.

• Like 1

I will say, it’s hilarious reading social media and people clamouring for Saleh to come back…and I bet a lot of these same people wanted him fired in 2017/2018. Seriously, Saleh was enemy number 1 those 2 seasons on all the socials 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I will say, it’s hilarious reading social media and people clamouring for Saleh to come back…and I bet a lot of these same people wanted him fired in 2017/2018. Seriously, Saleh was enemy number 1 those 2 seasons on all the socials 

I did not want Saleh fired.  I was happy he got a HC job, and was rooting for him to do well with the Jets.  Unfortunately nobody does well with the Jets, now here we are. 

Imma person, not a Twitter!

I also don't remember Saleh hate, but I don't take in a ton of content, and what I do see on Facebook I don't take seriously.

10 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

The Jets should change their name to the busses, and their logo can be a bunch of QB's and coaches under the bus!

Seriously, this is a very Jets thing to do.  Salah can coach a defense, I would love to have him back in the building.  

This combo of Staley and Sorenson has been pretty underwhelming.  Young guys are not getting better, we miss a lot of gaps, our zones are not tight and crips, and the only guy that ever seems to improve is Warner.

As it turns out Warner is better as a zone and hole defender reading patterns and QBs than as a man defender or a blitzer! Who knew? This was probably the thing that annoyed me most about some of the stuff we were running last year. 

Edited by JIllg

13 minutes ago, JIllg said:

As it turns out Warner is better as a zone and hole defender reading patterns and QBs than as a man defender or a blitzer! Who knew? This was probably the thing that annoyed me most about some of the stuff we were running last year. 

I know right!?

It's like the team's complete lack of man coverage skills and development made it tough to play man.  

This season, moreso than any other under Shannahan, I  feel like the team's ability to play man on the back end imoproved with Green as the third corner .  D-Mo and Green can both play inside and outside, so the switches and motions would be smooth.   Unfortunately Yiadom is the 3rd corner, and we still have a gap in the man coverage.  I don't really trust brown to cover a back or 2nd tight end in man, Mustapha might end up being a little sticky, but it's too soon to tell.

Using Warner wrong is just inexcusable.  Let him play zone, the middle one. 

D-mo is also getting better.  I think/hope Brown is developing back there.   Everyone else is just kinda staying the same, only older and slightly less healthy.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

43 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Works for me! 

I floated this as a possibility after week 3. But instead of Saleh, it would be Staley at DC. Although idk if Shanny is happy with the defensive results and wants to promote Staley anymore

13 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I haven't watched the 22 this year for the games, so I am not sure how many things he is missing, but this may be his ability to be quick, shifty, and make a guy miss working against him in this statistical capacity.  

I think it also shows a lack of designed short passes and Brock taking fewer check downs.  

I am not sure exactly how much of each without really diving deep into some not very fun 22 man film, but my eye ball says Brock is processing and working through the offense pretty well, he's not locking onto his first read, or throwing into the teeth of coverage much.  It doesn't look like Fields, or Alex when he would hold onto the ball, or everyone's favorite, JTO'Sullivan.  Brock's Int's were both forced by tipping the pass or hitting his arm during the throw.  He is still playing well, even though that wasn't his best game.  

I think this is more Kyle being Kyle and overthinking the wheel rather than working the short game.  Teams have been pressing a lot more, which is probably why everything is muddier.  I don't think Kyle has come up with an answer for teams pressing our guys.  I am not sure how well equipped our horses are to deal with press, but Kyle will think of something.

This thing is going to go one way or another in Seattle this week.  

The important thing to remember is that Purdy isn't playing bad. He's playing pretty well, in fact. Is he missing some people open underneath? No doubt. Guys do that all the time. I'd like to see him hit those passes a little bit more.   But when the timing isn't there and he starts running, I get how he is missing some of these guys. Its just kind of chaos. He does need to throw the ball away more - that 11 second scramble / sack from him is one of the worst plays of his career imo,  given the situation. There's some hero ball going on, maybe some pressing. 

Now, when he's hesitant on the release from his drop, I'm assuming that likely more a receiver / defense issue. I've seen Purdy double click some, but not nearly enough that I'm overly concerned about that. There's just some warts in the offense right now that need to be ironed out. Purdy is definitely some of that, but there are many underlying reasons for it, I think. There's multiple reasons for how hard things seem to be for the offense. If the receivers aren't winning their battles off the line and that's mucking up the works, maybe it's time to try something different. Maybe give Aiyuk a lot more run in the slot, for example. Dallas did that last year and that's how Lamb really, really blew up. At some point, we have to start incorporating play action back into the offense. The lack of PA is baffling right now. In the red zone, maybe get more creative. .Throw in those boots. Maybe some shovel screens, etc. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

The important thing to remember is that Purdy isn't playing bad. He's playing pretty well, in fact. Is he missing some people open underneath? No doubt. Guys do that all the time. I'd like to see him hit those passes a little bit more.   But when the timing isn't there and he starts running, I get how he is missing some of these guys. Its just kind of chaos. He does need to throw the ball away more - that 11 second scramble / sack from him is one of the worst plays of his career imo,  given the situation. There's some hero ball going on, maybe some pressing. 

Now, when he's hesitant on the release from his drop, I'm assuming that likely more a receiver / defense issue. I've seen Purdy double click some, but not nearly enough that I'm overly concerned about that. There's just some warts in the offense right now that need to be ironed out. Purdy is definitely some of that, but there are many underlying reasons for it, I think. There's multiple reasons for how hard things seem to be for the offense. If the receivers aren't winning their battles off the line and that's mucking up the works, maybe it's time to try something different. Maybe give Aiyuk a lot more run in the slot, for example. Dallas did that last year and that's how Lamb really, really blew up. At some point, we have to start incorporating play action back into the offense. The lack of PA is baffling right now. In the red zone, maybe get more creative. .Throw in those boots. Maybe some shovel screens, etc. 

All of these option routes get QBs staring at dudes because you and the receiver have to see things the same way, feel the same beat. CMC ran a ton of our option routes as the first or second reads once you'd gotten your coverage tells. And he and Brock saw the same things, even if CMC sometimes chopped the top of the break and was a touch slow for me at times. Brock and Deebo (mostly) and Mason just don't have that vibe. LIke you said, jams have thrown timing off. Deebo chops it up way more than even CMC at the top, slowing things down, Mason ain't a receiver.

I saw a lot of those option route issues with Caleb Williams and the Bears the first two weeks. And it looks like your QB is locking on, but it's an option that's supposed to be the winner that you're supposed to wait on.

And then it makes the plays where your QB does actually screw up look all the worse because of the earlier jank up. I don't think that Brock was as good as PFF thinks this past game, but I don't think he was as bad as some of the subset of the media here has been suggesting.

• Like 1