Week 7 GDT: Texans @ Packers

lumberjackchris

image?id=14b3uis8s37fj1dk5opbu6solr_imag

Date: Sunday October 20, 2024

Time: 12PM CST/1PM EST

TV: CBS

Line: Texans +2.5

o/u: 47

Weather: Mostly sunny with a high of 70 (As best as you can ask for traveling to GB.)

Texans Overview

The Texans had their get right game vs the Pats last week. CJ Stroud, and Joe Mixon propelled the offense, and WAJ led the defense with 3 sacks. The big question is, how will the injury ravaged defense hold up. Christian Harris is still MIA, Azeez went out with a knee injury late, and To'o To'o is in concussion protocol. Neville Hewitt and Jake Hansen are next men up. The loss of stud rookie Lassiter was felt last Sunday, and facing off against a loaded Packers offense is not going to make things easier. The defense does get a little jolt with Autry returning from his 6 game suspension, and if the Texans want to win this game, it'll be because the DL is wreaking havoc. 

Packers Overview

The Pack come in 4-2 with only 7 points separating them from 6-0. They are well balanced led on the ground by Josh Jacobs and Jordan Love slinging it to 5 more than  capable receiving options. On defense the Pack are more vulnerable which should give an avenue for the Texans to exploit. 

LBJ Prediction:

Texans will need to control the TOP and keep Jordan Love and his offense on the sidelines as much as possible. Or this could turn into a shootout. 

Texans 30 Packers 34

• Like 1

Should be a good matchup this weekend.  TBH, I don't know a ton about the Texans beyond the general idea that they are a good team.  I expect HOU will be running early and often vs the GB defense, then look for explosive plays in the passing game.  If you have a decent threat at TE, GB can't seem to cover them.  Diggs is an old nemesis for the GB secondary, and I expect he'll have plenty to say to Packers CB Alexander during the game (and vice-versa)

• Like 3

I just started writing a little explanation to try and convince myself that we can win this game, but I can't do it. It's mostly about how many starters (and backups) we're missing in the back 7, 100 % agree PD. If we're missing Lassiter, Ward, Al Shaair, Harris, and To'o To'o, somebody is going to get isolated and embarrassed out there by this GB offense. Hell, even though Pitre's a starter, I wouldn't be surprised if he's their #1 target.

I think the gameplan is to try and not get embarrassed by playing keep away on offense, and trying to come up with a swing play or two on defense or special teams. Even if we end up stuck in like Cover 4 or something just to contain the explosives, it is hard to block our DL all day. At some point, somebody's going to get loose and hit Love, and if in that moment, that player can knock the ball out, maybe even scoop and score, MAYBE we can keep it close..? I will say, if we can keep it close, we've got a shot. We find ways to win those games thus far.

It will be interesting to see how the defense responds after the first 40+ yard Jayden Reed TD..  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Should be a good matchup this weekend.  TBH, I don't know a ton about the Texans beyond the general idea that they are a good team.  I expect HOU will be running early and often vs the GB defense, then look for explosive plays in the passing game.  If you have a decent threat at TE, GB can't seem to cover them.  Diggs is an old nemesis for the GB secondary, and I expect he'll have plenty to say to Packers CB Alexander during the game (and vice-versa)

You won’t get to play the Houston Texans this week. We are down about 6 starters right now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I just started writing a little explanation to try and convince myself that we can win this game, but I can't do it. It's mostly about how many starters (and backups) we're missing in the back 7, 100 % agree PD. If we're missing Lassiter, Ward, Al Shaair, Harris, and To'o To'o, somebody is going to get isolated and embarrassed out there by this GB offense. Hell, even though Pitre's a starter, I wouldn't be surprised if he's their #1 target.

I think the gameplan is to try and not get embarrassed by playing keep away on offense, and trying to come up with a swing play or two on defense or special teams. Even if we end up stuck in like Cover 4 or something just to contain the explosives, it is hard to block our DL all day. At some point, somebody's going to get loose and hit Love, and if in that moment, that player can knock the ball out, maybe even scoop and score, MAYBE we can keep it close..? I will say, if we can keep it close, we've got a shot. We find ways to win those games thus far.

It will be interesting to see how the defense responds after the first 40+ yard Jayden Reed TD..  

I think Pats showed how to target Pitre, my hope is Calen figures a couple of those out for a pick 6 or two.

I dont have a good feeling about this one.  Injuries to our defense is worrisome, and our pass D hasn't been that great this season.  Add to the fact we are in Green Bay,  I think Love shreds the defense.  This is one of the games I predicted a loss to. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I dont have a good feeling about this one.  Injuries to our defense is worrisome, and our pass D hasn't been that great this season.  Add to the fact we are in Green Bay,  I think Love shreds the defense.  This is one of the games I predicted a loss to. 

Man, I actually have this weird feeling were going to find a way to pull this out. I think the DL dominates. Autry comes out pissed off, WAJ rides his big performance from last week, and Hunt joins the party. CJ and Co can score with anyone, and I think Meco will play some soft zone to keep everything infront of them and let the DL create havoc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Man, I actually have this weird feeling were going to find a way to pull this out. I think the DL dominates. Autry comes out pissed off, WAJ rides his big performance from last week, and Hunt joins the party. CJ and Co can score with anyone, and I think Meco will play some soft zone to keep everything infront of them and let the DL create havoc. 

Yeah, I agree. I think this is going to be a really good/close game, but I feel like the Texans can pull this out. I'm a big fan of Jordan Love, but he definitely has some moments that defenses can take advantage of. Also, the matchup between two former Shanahan disciples on opposite ends of the ball should be interesting. DeMeco vs LaFleaur, Stroud vs Love, it should be a lot of fun regardless.

4 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Yeah, I agree. I think this is going to be a really good/close game, but I feel like the Texans can pull this out. I'm a big fan of Jordan Love, but he definitely has some moments that defenses can take advantage of. Also, the matchup between two former Shanahan disciples on opposite ends of the ball should be interesting. DeMeco vs LaFleur, Stroud vs Love, it should be a lot of fun regardless.

Love can make some risky plays. There were a couple against the Cards last week that worked out fine for the Packers. If they happen against the Texans and go wrong, it might be enough to trigger a momentum shift. The Packers O line is pretty good, which should blunt the Texans pass rush to some degree, but that is a very good unit to defend against. If Love gets time to throw, watch out, but if he doesn't, therein lies your best shot of a 'W'.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Going 5-1 was big for us. It makes this game just meh. We can lose and we are fine. A win would just be that much better, but we need to get some guys healthy because the game agains the colts next week is 10x more important than this week. 

I don’t know how long Lassiter will miss but the fact that he didn’t land on IR means we think it could be fewer than 4 weeks. Funny thing is that he’s not been that good, he’s just better than anything else we’ve got. Need Ward and our linebackers as well. 

if we had ward, we could play lots of time since we are missing all 3 linebackers. We probably have to do that anyways. I’d much rather play Pitre as basically a linebacker than having him play nickel.