Week 7: VIKINGS (5-0) vs. Lions (4-1)

swede700

With the loss of Hutchinson, their defense takes a huge hit, they become mediocre.

Their offense however is great, anchored by the best OL in the league and led by one of the best playcallers in the game. They scare me and the defense will have their work cut out for them. While they have faced a good running team in the 49ers, the Lions run the ball differently, not relying on misdirection much, but aiming to overpower you.

Will be an interesting game for sure. We have to make Goff uncomfortable and continue bulding big leads in the first half in order to make them one-dimensional. Could see this game going either way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sad People said:

For me this game comes down to if we can stop the run which I’m fairly skeptical about. 

They are #1 in the NFL run defense DVOA.  The 5 below them are KC, Houston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Buffalo.  Their run defense has been nothing short of amazing, considering a year ago they were #13.

Edited by swede700

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They are #1 in the NFL run defense DVOA.  The 5 below them are KC, Houston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Buffalo.  Their run defense has been nothing short of amazing, considering a year ago they were #13.

I’m worried if we the Vikings can stop their run game. 

That’s the biggest X factor for me. 

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We established that. But why are you worried? We the Vikings have the #1 ranked run defense. What makes you skeptical that it won’t hold up this week?

Ahh for some reason I thought you were talking about the Lions run defense not the Vikings. Slight dyslexic moment. 

Im worried because both Montongery and Gibbs is probably the best RB duo in the league that compliment each other exceptionally well add in the fact that the Lions OL is probably the best in the league if not top 3. This is probably the best rushing attack in the NFL outside of maybe Baltimore. Lions are a different beast compared to the other teams imo. 

Edited by Sad People

17 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Ahh for some reason I thought you were talking about the Lions run defense not the Vikings. Slight dyslexic moment. 

Im worried because both Montongery and Gibbs is probably the best RB duo in the league that compliment each other exceptionally well add in the fact that the Lions OL is probably the best in the league if not top 3. This is probably the best rushing attack in the NFL outside of maybe Baltimore. Lions are a different beast compared to the other teams imo. 

That is true.  I do like to use DVOA, and the Lions' rush offense is #2 in the NFL (behind Baltimore), but again, I look at the defenses they've played...and they haven't played good defenses at all.  I need to see them go up against our defense first before I make a judgment.  The rush defenses they've faced are #30 (Rams), #11 (TB), #15 (AZ), #19 (Sea), and #29 (Dallas).

IMO, this will be just like my Jets game prediction...the Lions offense and Vikings defense will be a draw...this game will be decided by the Vikings offense vs. the Lions defense.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

That is true.  I do like to use DVOA, and the Lions' rush offense is #2 in the NFL (behind Baltimore), but again, I look at the defenses they've played...and they haven't played good defenses at all.  I need to see them go up against our defense first before I make a judgment.  The rush defenses they've faced are #30 (Rams), #11 (TB), #15 (AZ), #19 (Sea), and #29 (Dallas).

IMO, this will be just like my Jets game prediction...the Lions offense and Vikings defense will be a draw...this game will be decided by the Vikings offense vs. the Lions defense.   

I’d be interested in seeing what the TB run defense is in DVOA. I’d assume it’d pretty dang good with Vita Vea and I think they lost that game as well? Dunno. 

Regardless it’ll be a good matchup and see who comes out on top. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

People are wondering if we can keep up with Detroit. The question is, can Detroit keep up with us? This is going to be a crazy and challenging game for both teams. I have a feeling Flores will scheme up something diabolical to try and stop the creativity of the Lions' offense. I can't wait for Sunday. 

yeah, baby!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sad People said:

I’d be interested in seeing what the TB run defense is in DVOA. I’d assume it’d pretty dang good with Vita Vea and I think they lost that game as well? Dunno. 

Regardless it’ll be a good matchup and see who comes out on top. 

Tampa Bay is 11th in run defense DVOA.  Detroit is right in front of them at 10th. 

The Vikings are 1st in both pass defense and run defense DVOA...and the average offensive DVOA (that they faced) is 6th in the NFL while Detroit is 8th.  As far as offense, however, the difference is far more stark...the Vikings are 8th in pass offense, but 20th in rush offense.  Detroit is 12th and 2nd, respectively.  However, the average defensive DVOA is where the significant difference is.  The defenses the Vikings offense faced is 3rd in the NFL (only the Jets and Rams have faced harder defenses), while the Lions have faced the second worst defenses (only the Browns have faced weaker defenses).    

• Like 4