QB Situation

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Looks like Russ is at least getting some consideration to start this week. 

This is just 100% my own speculation from the ways everything has gone, but I fully believe Tomlin wants Wilson. 

If they are gonna do it, at least do it now. We are through 6 games with a guy who costs us a 4th at the 51% snap mark. Don’t wait 1-2 more games and pay a two round price for a guy you planned on changing to anyway. 

14 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I think.

After losing out on Adams, there's pretty much confirms.We will not be trading for a WR

I hope that is not the case.  I mean, Khan had to realize that we were never the favorites to be the trade partner, so the fact that they were interested in Davante, and by extension, another #1 or #2-type WR, that they had some other "irons in the fire", so to speak, and were in communication with teams like the Jags, or the Titans...maybe even the Patriots, Giants, or Cards, to see if they might 'sell' at there WR position.

Just because we lost the Adams lottery, doesn't change the fact that we really need an upgrade at the position. Which brings me to the Fields vs Wilson topic...the fact that we are 4-2, with only one truly capable WR who (and BTW, is turning into a head case) dropped the 1st two passes thrown to him yesterday, in the beginning of the game, then a TD opportunity later, makes me feel less and less confident that we even have a #1 WR on the roster.  So I surely hope they are considering picking another up, but don't expect Wilson to do any better than Fields.  Fields may not be the most accurate QB, but he's accurate enough, and a decent number of his throws are catchable balls.

Also, IMO, if he's benched, then say goodbye to any chance of Fields being our QBOTF.  He gets benched after taking his team to 4-2, and scores two TDs in a 32-13 win??  Yeah, he'll get a nice prove it deal with another team after the season is over--why would he stay here, after being benched for a 35YO QB.  Fields did everything he could to win the Dallas game, at the end, only to have our Defense to lose the game, as well as flashing some serious chops in the Indy game.

Ah well...here's to us signing Russell Wilson to a $50M per contract for the next 3-4 years...I mean, it's not like we just didn't go through a 2-3 year span, paying an old QB who started showing his age at right about the same age that Wilson will be...

Sometimes, maybe look beyond just the next few games into the future, and realize, that Fields is pretty easily our best opportunity for the next several years at QB...

...Oh, and I can't wait to see Russ running for his life against the #2 yards per game Defense, and the #3 ranked in Sacks Defense--this is NOT the week to switch to the old and slow QB...

• Like 1

I'm not sure Fields will lose a ton of confidence with this(if it happens). He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. He probably didn't go into the season imagining that he was going to be the starter. He's still listed as the backup QB. It might actually allow him to save face a little bit. He didn't play bad enough to lose the job, but I don't think momentum is on his side. He seems to be regressing. So maybe it's good we're getting him out of there before it all blows up in his face. 

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

.Oh, and I can't wait to see Russ running for his life against the #2 yards per game Defense, and the #3 ranked in Sacks Defense--this is NOT the week to switch to the old and slow QB...

this is what had me leaning towards fields. Jets defence is not the team to get first start against IMO.

• Like 1

While I get the whole ‘Russ will get killed behind this oline’ argument,  one cannot tell me that Fields has looked ‘above the line’ these past two weeks. He is going backwards as a passer since his very good second half effort against the Colts. He failed to recognize some wide open receivers last week, and, when he saw them, he missed a few glaring times. Love his athleticism, but his processing is slow and now his throws are sailing. If the pressure of Russ being ready is getting to him, I’d rather have Russ in there.

Fields has a 93 passer rating. he's accounted for 10 TDs (5 pass 5 rush) in 6 games and only 2 turnovers. he's avg 4 yards a carry. 

Steelers staff must really have a hard-on for Russell Wilson to make this change. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

13 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Looks like Russ is at least getting some consideration to start this week. 

I feel sick to my stomach seeing Osama BinTomlin benching my fantasy GOAT. 

I genuinely can't figure out why Tomlin really thinks trotting Russ out there coming off of an injury against an elite defense is the best route to go.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I feel sick to my stomach seeing Osama BinTomlin benching my fantasy GOAT. 

I genuinely can't figure out why Tomlin really thinks trotting Russ out there coming off of an injury against an elite defense is the best route to go.

he might be just saying this to make the jets prepare for both  and make it more of a challenge for the jets. Soon the league will have a tomlin rule, where the teams must officially name the QB1