How to improve the Redskins Fan Experience at FedEx Field

turtle28

Sometimes love blinds you, and my devotion to the team did just that for years. It seems ridiculous, I know, but I actually used to defend the Redskins’ game-day experience at FedEx Field. Despite a lousy stadium and all the losing performances for most of the past quarter-century, I still managed to have a good enough time with friends and family at games that I didn’t bother to notice or care how the Redskins treat their fans.

Then I started going to road games.

Seeing how other teams do things, my perception has changed dramatically. It’s not just that the service and amenities are better at other venues. Everything is better. I can assure Bruce Allen that the Redskins are not “winning off the field.” Not by a long shot. Get to a game in the Superdome in New Orleans, and you’ll understand the difference. (You can even blow a 15-point lead in the final minutes there and still have a good time).

By now, you know the complaints about convenient-to-nothing FedEx Field: overpriced parking, hot dogs that taste like last week’s 7-Eleven batch, beer from the World Cup, f-bombs thrown from the stands, pockmarked concrete, traffic jams.

The best way to improve the experience for fans, of course, is to win more games. Winning cures all. But regardless of who the quarterback, coach or GM is in 2018, the organization needs to rethink the entire game day operation if it wants to avoid losing even more of its shrinking fan base. So here is one devoted supporter’s Christmas wishlist to make Redskins games more fan-friendly:

Address opposing fans

One of the biggest complaints about FedEx Field is the number of fans who show up to root for the opposing team. In 2008, when Steelers fans overtook the stadium during “Monday Night Football,” it was shocking. Nowadays, it’s a regular occurrence. But absent drastic measures, minimizing the number of road fans in Landover is virtually impossible at this point. So why not have a little fun with it? If we’re not going to rid ourselves of all those Cowboys jerseys, the least we can do is poke some fun at those wearing them.

At a future Redskins stadium, we might be able to throw Cowboys and Eagles fans into a moat, but in the meantime, why not ridicule them for our amusement? Other teams do it — even the Los Angeles Chargers at the lowly StubHub Center. So let’s have a popular Redskins great like Santana Moss go around asking Cowboys fans to identify Dallas on a map of Texas, or asking Seattle fans to name a quarterback before Russell Wilson. Put video of the interviews on the video board during timeouts. Hey, at least it will be entertaining. If we can’t get rid of them, let’s make them feel less welcome. Which leads me to my next suggestion.

Discounts for Skins fans

Knock a dollar off certain food and beverage prices — but only for fans sporting the burgundy and gold. If this means raising prices stadium-wide by a dollar for Eagles fans and others, so be it. We are the home team; shouldn’t we feel like it? It would still be nothing compared to how Philly treats road fans.

A family section

Another complaint often levied at Redskins games is the number of highly intoxicated fans. There needs to be a family section, where alcohol isn’t served and parents with young kids can enjoy the game without worrying about drunks, bad language, the threat of a fight or worse.

Better giveaways

Somehow the Nationals, Wizards and Capitals give out great freebies each season. The last meaningful collectible I got at a Skins game was a No. 21 towel honoring Sean Taylor in the wake of his death. That was a decade ago. Where are the bobbleheads? Or the free T-shirts? Somehow I don’t think the Redskins commemorative mini-flag the team gave out on Thanksgiving is destined for many fans’ display cases. A Ryan Kerrigan bobblehead, though? That might be something worth keeping.

Pregame/postgame/halftime entertainment

The musical acts, fireworks and light shows alone at other venues are worth the price of admission. If other teams can bring in quality live entertainment before, during and after the game, why can’t the Redskins? And maybe if the team spent some money on a postgame concert, it could ease postgame traffic congestion while giving fans the feeling they got something for their money that day.

Improve parking/tailgating

Jumbo video boards in the lots to watch other games before and after Skins games should be a staple for every game, not a special occasion. And it’s time to rethink the recent change in policy on parking permits. New rules in 2015 forced some fans to park in separate lots from their friends, despite having the same color of permit. Sometimes new doesn’t mean improved; the old system was more convenient for fans.

Faster service

If you’ve ever waited in line at a FedEx Field Johnny Rockets because water was sold out from other concessionaires — only to be told 30 minutes later that they’re out of water, too — chances are you’ll agree: The service at Redskins games is not always fan-friendly. That water shortage happened during the second quarter of a hot and humid September game last season. In Week 2. That can’t happen.

More food options

The team has tried addressing its food and beverage issues in recent years, but the variety and quality still don’t come close to matching other NFL venues I’ve visited. Maybe the Redskins can get José Andrés on the phone. If he can get quality food to thousands of folks in hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico, why can’t a multibillion dollar organization provide some decent menu options for paying customers after two decades of complaints?

12 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

If youre Dumb enough to go to a redskins home game at this point, you deserve what you get

The girlfriend bought me opening day tickets this year to the eagles game and spent a grip because the seats were phenomenal. I felt horrible because I really didn't want to go. I hate FedEx field with a passion. It's a complete dump. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The girlfriend bought me opening day tickets this year to the eagles game and spent a grip because the seats were phenomenal. I felt horrible because I really didn't want to go. I hate FedEx field with a passion. It's a complete dump. 

“Come for the expired bud light, stay for the 2 hour traffic jam leaving”

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We parked like 2 miles away lol. The whole experience is awful. 

IF you EVER go back again, I'll tell you which lot to park in and how to get out so you're not in a traffic jam.

When we leave the stadium, I'm home about 1.5-2 hours later. And that's all the way to Leesburg.

BTW - I HATE going to Fed Ex. The ONLY reason I'm still going sometimes is to tailgate and hang out with friends. I went to the 49ers game this year and the Vikings game. The only thing that made the Vikings game bearable was that we were in a corporate suite drinking Titos and MaCallan and eating tenderloin

46 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

IF you EVER go back again, I'll tell you which lot to park in and how to get out so you're not in a traffic jam.

When we leave the stadium, I'm home about 1.5-2 hours later. And that's all the way to Leesburg.

BTW - I HATE going to Fed Ex. The ONLY reason I'm still going sometimes is to tailgate and hang out with friends. I went to the 49ers game this year and the Vikings game. The only thing that made the Vikings game bearable was that we were in a corporate suite drinking Titos and MaCallan and eating tenderloin

I live in old town Alexandria and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to the stadium. It still sucks because the stadium experience blows. I felt bad because it was my girlfriends first redskins game and they lost, of course but the parking was horrible and then people started fighting right near us. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I live in old town Alexandria and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to the stadium. It still sucks because the stadium experience blows. I felt bad because it was my girlfriends first redskins game and they lost, of course but the parking was horrible and then people started fighting right near us. 

The worst thing about it is that there isn’t a metro stop that’s close. A decade ago they used to offer a service where you could take the metro to the New Carolton metro station and then you’d pay $10 to take a metro bus to the stadium. My ex-gf and I used to take that from the Chevy Chase metro station to the game. It was great.

I thought I read that Dan Snyder didn’t want to pay Metro for the service anymore so it ended.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The worst thing about it is that there isn’t a metro stop that’s close. A decade ago they used to offer a service where you could take the metro to the New Carolton metro station and then you’d pay $10 to take a metro bus to the stadium. My ex-gf and I used to take that from the Chevy Chase metro station to the game. It was great.

I thought I read that Dan Snyder didn’t want to pay Metro for the service anymore so it ended.

Wait...the current one (Morgan Blvd Station) is less than 1/2 mile away. That whole New Carrollton thing is not needed anymore.

Fed Ex Parking and Metro

Also, the lot I park in is the tiny little green one (looks like a triangle) just north of that station. It gets its own exit lane (the other lots have to share the other 3 lanes and it backs up, the lot I park in has a straight shot out of the stadium area). Also, if you decide to take Central Ave from there back to 95, you're a fool. Keep going south on Morgan Blvd about 1/4 mile and you can then get onto 95 with little to no traffic.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Yup. If I lived closer I may have gone to more games over the years. Being out in LoCo, its hard to justify the trip in and out with the game day experience what it is and the team sucking.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. If I lived closer I may have gone to more games over the years. Being out in LoCo, its hard to justify the trip in and out with the game day experience what it is and the team sucking.

I’m in FaCo and I wont go. My seat at home in my PJ’s is the best way to stick it to Dan. 

My brother and me went I was excited. 2011 it was very cold it was redskins vs Vikings and we where in an area where the wind swerved around I kid you not it felt like -3 below and the worst part is there was a huge pole In front of us .

it was the worst experince ever and I don't plan on going back

its time for a new stadium the only time it's worth it is when there's tons of redskins fans . Now that badly happens any longer .

Archived