2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

On 1/26/2018 at 1:49 PM, skibrett15 said:

But perhaps that just means that Burnett is getting a fair deal and Harrison Smith is criminally underpaid.

Paying Morgan Burnett $9-$10 million a year is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. At this point I hope some sucker team overpays him just so we are not tempted to bring him back in the $8+ million range, pretty much like Detroit did with Lang last year. 

15 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:
1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

Someone I haven't seen a lot of talk about, Justin McCray. He's a ERFA in 2018... his play was pretty solid and versatile.

I'm half expecting him be starting next season at RG or RT depending on roster availability of Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, and Evans. Wouldn't shock me one bit to see McCray and Murphy starting on the right at G and T respectively and performing well. 

agree with @blankman0021

McCray as a ERFA is an easy re-sign for cheap and has enough versatility to play a few spots.  Could be in competition for RG spot in 2018.

1 minute ago, ArthurPensky said:
4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

agree with @blankman0021

McCray as a ERFA is an easy re-sign for cheap and has enough versatility to play a few spots.  Could be in competition for RG spot in 2018.

How cheap though? I"m sure others are willing to pay for a young player like that.

He was signed and released as an UDFA in 2014 and then played Arena League for 2 years. I am fairly certain we will be able to get him for min, or just above it, with his still limited experience

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Paying Morgan Burnett $9-$10 million a year is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. At this point I hope some sucker team overpays him just so we are not tempted to bring him back in the $8+ million range, pretty much like Detroit did with Lang last year. 

I am totally fine paying him 8 or 9 a year tbh. Pettine likes playing safeties, and Burnett can play in the box, nickel, and dime LB for us. He likes versatile players as he said in his presser, gives you more depth. 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I am totally fine paying him 8 or 9 a year tbh. Pettine likes playing safeties, and Burnett can play in the box, nickel, and dime LB for us. He likes versatile players as he said in his presser, gives you more depth. 

I just don't see it. You pay Burnett that kind of money and you've just forfeited a large chunk of your cap room you could have used to address OLB, CB, TE or WR, the positions we are weakest at. Everyone on here is always talking about "taking snaps away from our young guys" and not playing them enough. Well, why did we draft Jones if we were just going to resign Burnett? Burnett is not a difference maker on this defense. Bringing him back is "status quo" mentality. We need to improve overall as a defense. If we had $60,000,000 in cap, maybe I'd say go ahead and sign Burnett and that kind of money. We don't have those resources and need to use our money wisely. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:
14 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I just don't see it. You pay Burnett that kind of money and you've just forfeited a large chunk of your cap room you could have used to address OLB, CB, TE or WR, the positions we are weakest at. Everyone on here is always talking about "taking snaps away from our young guys" and not playing them enough. Well, why did we draft Jones if we were just going to resign Burnett? Burnett is not a difference maker on this defense. Bringing him back is "status quo" mentality. We need to improve overall as a defense. If we had $60,000,000 in cap, maybe I'd say go ahead and sign Burnett and that kind of money. We don't have those resources and need to use our money wisely. 

The problem is I don't love the idea of losing the only player in the secondary that we have had here for longer than 4 years. If we have a shot at a top FA on defense, or a player that will make more of an impact on the defense than Burnett, than pay him. I would be happy if we kept him though.

20 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:
23 minutes ago, squire12 said:

agree with @blankman0021

How cheap though? I"m sure others are willing to pay for a young player like that.

League minimum type salary.

From Over the cap....it is from 2015, so the $$ is a little more, but well under $1M.  ERFA players also barely count against the top 51 in accounting terms for the salary cap.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents– Players with less than two accrued seasons are the exclusive property of their former team provided the team makes a one year tender offer for the minimum salary. So for a player that was in his first year in 2014 on a $420,000 contract, the team will place a $510,000 tender on the player and own his rights, assuming he earned a credited season (if no credited season was earned the player woud receive a $435,000 tender). Unlike RFA’s the ERFA is not allowed to negotiate a contract with another team once the tender is applied. Essentially they are locked in for another season with their original team. If no tender is made or the tender is rescinded then the player becomes and unrestricted free agent. If that occurs they do not factor into the compensatory equation. Tenders count on the salary cap as soon as applied, provided they count in the Top 51, which they usually do not.

2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

The problem is I don't love the idea of losing the only player in the secondary that we have had here for longer than 4 years. If we have a shot at a top FA on defense, or a player that will make more of an impact on the defense than Burnett, than pay him. I would be happy if we kept him though.

I like Burnett, but the fact is secondary hasn't been good with him there Since Woodson, Collins, ec left. So what struggles do you attribute to Capers and what do you attribute to the defensive personnel?

Just now, ArthurPensky said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I like Burnett, but the fact is secondary hasn't been good with him there Since Woodson, Collins, ec left. So what struggles do you attribute to Capers and what do you attribute to the defensive personnel?

Honestly, I blame Ted.

Dom's system worked when we had the players. Albeit we had to have 2 pro bowl corners and 1 later pro bowl corner, and a very good pass rush. But still, the theory is the same. At that point I blame Ted the most for continuing to provide Dom with lesser quality players and younger, and I blame Dom for not adapting to it. The players I blame the least

4 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I am not a fan of the older guys. But is Tramon Williams a guy to keep an eye on for a cheap 2018 contract? Familiarity with GB and Pettine's Defense.

Wouldn't hate it. Don't think he has a ton left, but depends on what Pettine thinks he has. I would expect House to price us out in this scenario, because I wouldn't want both of them

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

Super cheap. And with ERFA players we are the only team they can play for. Essentially if we extend him the tender (which we will) then he can play for that tender amount, which is likely league minimum, or he can sit out of football. No real middle ground with those players. He'll be a Packer in 2018 unless something crazy happens. *knocks on wood*

Archived