2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

27 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Plus he is getting older... he “recently” has shown to have an injury issue. GB needs to understand Burnett may not be what he once was, injuries could become an issue for him as he continues to age.

He might of been an iron man of sorts but that might not be what he is now. It will be interesting how they handle him this offseason.

I'm sure his leadership would be a nice thing to have with a new scheme and all, but you can't pay them all, and this would be contract #3 for him .. most of which would take place after 30 years of age.  A three year bargain deal would be doable, but I wouldn't want to pay him top dollar .. he's really not much of a playmaker.  8 year career .. 9 picks, 8 forced fumbles, and 10 fumble recoveries.  That doesn't scream top dollar contract to me.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm sure his leadership would be a nice thing to have with a new scheme and all, but you can't pay them all, and this would be contract #3 for him .. most of which would take place after 30 years of age.  A three year bargain deal would be doable, but I wouldn't want to pay him top dollar .. he's really not much of a playmaker.  8 year career .. 9 picks, 8 forced fumbles, and 10 fumble recoveries.  That doesn't scream top dollar contract to me.

Amen. Burnett is the kind of comfortable player you can move away from and use his money elsewhere. The guy is steady but he's not a playmaker. He's also an average tackler. Give that money to a FA WR or CB, add a mid-range FA SS to compete with and/or backup Jones. You lose Burnett's leadership no doubt but you're foolish to pay $8-9 million for that.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

House is priority 1.  The rest will either fall into place or don't move the needle.

Curious why you have him as priority #1 as of now?  

I would put him and Burnett as 1a/1b (could be either way as to which player is a/b).

I would prefer to have at least 1 veteran CB on the roster, whether that is House or an outside FA.

7 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

I'd give Burnett's money to LaMarcus Joyner in a heart beat

Joyner is 2 years younger than Burnett with 4 years less experience.  He's missed two more games in the past four years than Burnett.  Joyner is five full inches shorter than Burnett.  Burnett has .5 more sacks and the same amount of interceptions as Joyner over the past 4 years. 

Joyner went three full seasons without an interception.  Then Wade Phillips became his defensive coordinator and he gets 3. 

All of that doesn't even account for the fact that you're not getting Joyner for Burnett's money, so why pay more money to go shorter with less experience and less production? 

Different is not synonymous with better. 

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

Curious why you have him as priority #1 as of now?  

I would put him and Burnett as 1a/1b (could be either way as to which player is a/b).

I would prefer to have at least 1 veteran CB on the roster, whether that is House or an outside FA.

feels like we at least have a few bodies in house to attempt to replace Burnett even if they aren't quite at his level of play.  CB is definitely gonna be a big deal in any scheme, and slightly more valuable than S I think.

House could be easily replaced with any similar CB FA though.  I don't think he's anything special, but I expect he'll come fairly affordably and he can hang as a mid tier No. 2, high end No. 3 corner.

19 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

feels like we at least have a few bodies in house to attempt to replace Burnett even if they aren't quite at his level of play.  CB is definitely gonna be a big deal in any scheme, and slightly more valuable than S I think.

House could be easily replaced with any similar CB FA though.  I don't think he's anything special, but I expect he'll come fairly affordably and he can hang as a mid tier No. 2, high end No. 3 corner.

thanks for elaborating.  Can't really disagree with any of it.

Will be interesting to see how Pettine and Gutekunst value the group of GB UFA players vs UFA from outside the team.    Adds some unknowns to the process vs previous seasons with TT.  Felt it was easier to guess the plans based on previous history

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

"According to Spotrac, Burnett has a calculated market value of $9.8 million per year as he heads into free agency. The site believes Burnett will be able to find a deal worth over $10 million per year on the open market"

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/25/could-packers-s-morgan-burnett-get-10m-per-year-in-free-agency/

Yeah if that’s his rate I’d rather give that to a younger safety like Reid/ Vaccaro/ Joyner.

18 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Yeah if that’s his rate I’d rather give that to a younger safety like Reid/ Vaccaro/ Joyner.

We're going to have to get used to the idea that the League is swimming in unspent cap. $ 600 million just for the top 10 teams alone

The Packers can offer more winning than most of the cap-laden teams, but if $$ is the only Decider, the Packers will get blown out of the water.

There's way more money than talent available in March...

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

41 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

We're going to have to get used to the idea that the League is swimming in unspent cap. $ 600 million just for the top 10 teams alone

The Packers can offer more winning than most of the cap-laden teams, but if $$ is the only Decider, the Packers will get blown out of the water.

There's way more money than talent available in March...

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Wow Dorsey left KC in cap hell lol!!

1 hour ago, Leader said:

"According to Spotrac, Burnett has a calculated market value of $9.8 million per year as he heads into free agency. The site believes Burnett will be able to find a deal worth over $10 million per year on the open market"

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/25/could-packers-s-morgan-burnett-get-10m-per-year-in-free-agency/

Adios! Burnett never blew me away as a playmaker he was solid at best,  very Hawk adjacent career IMO give me Vaccaro.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

No thanks. 

I agree. Time to move on from Morgan Burnett. I want to see what Evans and Brice can do moving into their third years. It took Collins about that long for the light to come on. Brice is almost as fast and has some potential. Then there's the FA market. If we're going $10 million, let's get one of the younger safeties like Vaccaro.

Archived