FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we backloaded deals than those cap hits wouldn't be at their estimates I picked in year 1 they would be less which gives us even more cap than I said.  Those numbers are annually not backloaded cap hits in year 1.  Cousins deal at 35M will likely be frontloaded some at that number actually.  We could backload but even making Cousins from 35M to 30M than we have another 5M in cap leaving us about 13M before the draft which is easily enough to sign mid year guys and the draft.

Our roster would be nearly full actually after signing what 9 players?  

I'm not pay Davis top 5 money.  

Not really.  They can only be so low, especially because of guaranteed money.  And our roster would be nowhere near full. We have 24 free agents prior to the minimum of 5 or 6 cuts we're going to make; over 25 of them were on the 53 man roster my man.  In terms of Davis, you might not pay it, but someone will with the rising cap and the year he just had.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Listen I'm not saying it will happen because other teams have money too and will pay these guys just as much.  Teams never get every FA they want, just saying those are the guys I would target at those positions and try to get as many as I can. 

That's fair

12 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

No it doesn't.  We have 73.  Cutting Mo, Skrine, Forte, and Ijalana gets us to 96 mil.

Cutting those guys actually gets us closer to 100mill (98 I believe) add Carpenter that’s another 5mill. McClendon another 3.5, Add several other small cuts like Petty, etc and it does get us right at 110mill. We Laos have guys like Powell and Kearse who have very cuttable contracts if we upgrade at those positions. Kearse would create over 5mill in cap space and Powell 4mill.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Cutting those guys actually gets us closer to 100mill (98 I believe) add Carpenter that’s another 5mill. McClendon another 3.5, Add several other small cuts like Petty, etc and it does get us right at 110mill. We Laos have guys like Powell and Kearse who have very cuttable contracts if we upgrade at those positions. Kearse would create over 5mill in cap space and Powell 4mill.

Using overthecap's cap calculator.  Cutting Mo, Skrine, Forte, Ijalana, and Carp gets us to 100.1.  If we cut Steve, which I don't think we will, we'd be at 103.5, etc.  I think we end up around 100 mil when all is said and done personally.

No need to cut players that won't affect the team salary cap. Whether he sucks (pff grade).    Jets are interested in bringing Ijalana back for lower price after cutting him. I guess they like his character.

I don't see Jets will cut everyone prior to FA so they could overpay FA players.  Cousins and a bunch of medium level talented players. That plus draft price would eat up about 65-80m cap salary.

13 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Delanie Walker has been a successful TE in this league at 6', 240+.  He's fine.

Burton was 224 at the combine, unless he has put a fair amount of weight on then he is probably giving up over 20 lbs to Walker.  I am not saying I am against signing him, but he probably isn't going to fill the same role as ASJ, he'd be more of a big slot.

3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Burton was 224 at the combine, unless he has put a fair amount of weight on then he is probably giving up over 20 lbs to Walker.  I am not saying I am against signing him, but he probably isn't going to fill the same role as ASJ, he'd be more of a big slot.

Ya the more I think about Burton... the less I think we target him. We have to remember we have Leggett too. Who is a receiving TE. I do think we bring back ASJ bc he can block atleast. We really can’t have our 2 TEs be Burton and Leggett. Neither can block.

10 hours ago, rampantjet said:

He's listed at 235

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya the more I think about Burton... the less I think we target him. We have to remember we have Leggett too. Who is a receiving TE. I do think we bring back ASJ bc he can block atleast. We really can’t have our 2 TEs be Burton and Leggett. Neither can block.

Ignore my post.  Was looking at 2016.

Edited by barnaby8787

Yeah, Burton is not a TE but having him could limit Stewart's playing time.  Bobby will profusely complain about the Stewart pick. lol.

If Jets got Cousins then Burton could be useful since that is Cousins' style of passing offense.  You pay Cousins a gold bullion so you better get his weapons properly. Just getting Cousins won't work.