FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

We seriously have 7 legit options for outside corner. Obviously, some take priority over others (i'd put Melvin at the bottom of the list for example), but in no particular order...

-Johnson
-Gaines
-Breeland
-Carrie
-Melvin
-Butler
-Fuller (although transition tagged)

Sick list right there

Edited by barnaby8787
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We seriously have 7 legit options for outside corner. Obviously, some take priority over others (i'd put Melvin at the bottom of the list for example), but in no particular order...

-Johnson
-Gaines
-Breeland
-Carrie
-Melvin
-Butler

Sick list right there

Colvin is on the list as well. Macc have to make a move on one of them. 

27 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Saw this coming a mile away... Mayowa meets all the thresholds Maccagnan looks for in EDGE rushers

Watched him some in Dallas. Played with his hand in the ground mostly there. He did play OLB in Oakland though. Don’t think he will ever be a 10+ sack guy consistently. But he has upside at still only 26yrs old. Can’t be worse than Lozo.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Watched him some in Dallas. Played with his hand in the ground mostly there. He did play OLB in Oakland though. Don’t think he will ever be a 10+ sack guy consistently. But he has upside at still only 26yrs old. Can’t be worse than Lozo.

Wouldn't preclude us from drafting edge rushers, but absolutely compete with what we have at the position. I mean really, our top EDGE rushers were Ealy, David Bass, and Josh Martin. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We aren’t a win now team. If we get Cousins that changes the aspect a ton. But assuming we don’t... I don’t see Macc targeting 30yr olds in FA. He made that mistake Year 1, and I imagined he learned from it.

It can never hurt the organization to add a winning player. The team values locker room stability, so adding a veteran or two should help with that (and not hurt the overall, long-range plan). I don't think it hurt us to have Matt Forte around the last few years. One could argue how much it helped us, but hurt? I don't think it did.

Last year, our two big leaders were whom? One could argue they were McCown and Adams...a journeyman QB who may or may not be back (and is more likely to back up than start going forward) and an NFL rookie.

All I am suggesting is we can afford to add a veteran leader or two. Which is why I love the idea of bringing in a guy like Dion Lewis.

20 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Sherman doesn't have a winning personality, he has a personality that is only bearable WHEN the team is winning.  If their is any adversity he is not part of the solution but part of the problem.  Not the type of guy we need right now when winning is certainly not a sure thing.  Oh and he doesn't fit our scheme at all.  He is good but he has been made to look much much better by that system.... how good was Browner when he left there?  exactly

First of all, you can't compare a future HOF corner with a journeyman corner. Secondly, was Sherman really that disruptive? The interview with Erin Andrews aside, what is the problem really? The fact he suggested they should have ran the ball and not thrown the ball against the Pats in the Super Bowl? The entire planet felt the same way, except for Darrell Bevill.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal and the guy chose San Francisco so it's a moot point. But the 49ers are more or less where we are right now, and they felt like he was a fit. Just saying.

Why wouldn't a player like him be a fit in our scheme? I thought we needed press corners who excel in man coverage? That's what Revis was, no? That's what Sherman is.

11 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

-Johnson
-Gaines
-Breeland
-Carrie
-Melvin
-Butler

Sick list right there

Let's not forget Claiborne. Sometimes, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. I see no reason to add 2 CB's via free agency if Claiborne wants to return and is not asking for the moon. 

32 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

It can never hurt the organization to add a winning player. The team values locker room stability, so adding a veteran or two should help with that (and not hurt the overall, long-range plan). I don't think it hurt us to have Matt Forte around the last few years. One could argue how much it helped us, but hurt? I don't think it did.

Last year, our two big leaders were whom? One could argue they were McCown and Adams...a journeyman QB who may or may not be back (and is more likely to back up than start going forward) and an NFL rookie.

All I am suggesting is we can afford to add a veteran leader or two. Which is why I love the idea of bringing in a guy like Dion Lewis.

First of all, you can't compare a future HOF corner with a journeyman corner. Secondly, was Sherman really that disruptive? The interview with Erin Andrews aside, what is the problem really? The fact he suggested they should have ran the ball and not thrown the ball against the Pats in the Super Bowl? The entire planet felt the same way, except for Darrell Bevill.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal and the guy chose San Francisco so it's a moot point. But the 49ers are more or less where we are right now, and they felt like he was a fit. Just saying.

Why wouldn't a player like him be a fit in our scheme? I thought we needed press corners who excel in man coverage? That's what Revis was, no? That's what Sherman is.

Let's not forget Claiborne. Sometimes, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. I see no reason to add 2 CB's via free agency if Claiborne wants to return and is not asking for the moon. 

I disagree big time with that. Absolutely I think Forte had no business on this team last year. I think we didn’t want him on it either, he just had a guaranteed deal. He took away snaps from guys like McGuire who could have had twice the touches if Forte weren’t here, to help us see his skill set more. This goes the same at other spots as well. You think if we kept gilchrist we would have seen Maye play well? No a vet blocks young players. On a competitive team you absolutely get bets. For a rebuilding team, there’s no need for them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree big time with that. Absolutely I think Forte had no business on this team last year. I think we didn’t want him on it either, he just had a guaranteed deal. He took away snaps from guys like McGuire who could have had twice the touches if Forte weren’t here, to help us see his skill set more. This goes the same at other spots as well. You think if we kept gilchrist we would have seen Maye play well? No a vet blocks young players. On a competitive team you absolutely get bets. For a rebuilding team, there’s no need for them. 

But is this a coaching issue, or a veterans-blocking-kids issue? It seems to me if the coach were more flexible in his policies, if he did not start EVERY veteran over EVERY rookie, that if he went more for talent than anything else, we would not have this issue.

If someone like Forte ******* and complains that a raw rookie is playing in front of him, then I agree that becomes an issue. If Bowles feels he does not know how to handle veterans who lose their starting jobs, then maybe the problem is 100% the head coach?

All I am suggesting is that it would be nice to add someone who has actually won SOMETHING to this cast of misfits. That's all.

7 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

But is this a coaching issue, or a veterans-blocking-kids issue? It seems to me if the coach were more flexible in his policies, if he did not start EVERY veteran over EVERY rookie, that if he went more for talent than anything else, we would not have this issue.

If someone like Forte ******* and complains that a raw rookie is playing in front of him, then I agree that becomes an issue. If Bowles feels he does not know how to handle veterans who lose their starting jobs, then maybe the problem is 100% the head coach?

All I am suggesting is that it would be nice to add someone who has actually won SOMETHING to this cast of misfits. That's all.

I agree with that. But Bowles will play vets pretty much every day if the week over a young player. And whether we like it or not he is our HC. So any 30+yr old we bring in will start over a young talent (generally speaking) in a rebuild I don’t see any point in bringing in older players. McCown is the only one that makes sense to bring back if we do nothing in FA at QB and plan on drafting a QB in Round 1. And even then it should be as a mentor, not to start anything more than 4 games or so

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I wasn't implying that Sherman isn't good.  Also I wasn't really even implying that he is a bad guy.  I think he is a really smart dude that makes some points.  I was implying that when the wins aren't flowing he can become a problem.  When Seattle was winning I think he was an asset in the locker room.  But when the chips are down I think he makes the situation worse not better.... But it is a non issue now.  The 49ers are the ones who will deal with whatever ends up happening.