FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The one thing the Jets are apparently willing to offer that the Vikings are unable is guarantees that are available immediately, whether it be in the form of a signing bonus or 2018 roster bonus which would be paid in a week or so. Minnesota can offer guarantees, but they would prefer guaranteed base salary, which is still paid via weekly paychecks until the player is no longer with the team, in turn the entire balance is due to the player in full. 

Time value of money... 

Tell me this is from your cousin

• Like 3

The one thing the Jets are apparently willing to offer that the Vikings are unable is guarantees that are available immediately, whether it be in the form of a signing bonus or 2018 roster bonus which would be paid in a week or so. Minnesota can offer guarantees, but they would prefer guaranteed base salary, which is still paid via weekly paychecks until the player is no longer with the team, in turn the entire balance is due to the player in full. 

Time value of money... 

Interesting and it’s positive hearing that Minnesota won’t just give Couins what he wants. That they have a breaking point. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Time value of money... 

Doesn't sound like that big a deal to me.  He just gets his money faster basically?  He's not hurting for money so I don't see that a huge advantage in our favor.  Certain players yes that could be important, Cousins probably not so much.  Helps sure but I'm skeptical about how much.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Doesn't sound like that big a deal to me.  He just gets his money faster basically?  He's not hurting for money so I don't see that a huge advantage in our favor.  Certain players yes that could be important, Cousins probably not so much.  Helps sure but I'm skeptical about how much.

Ya but his wife might want money. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Interesting and it’s positive hearing that Minnesota won’t just give Couins what he wants. That they have a breaking point. 

I don't think the wording of that report is entirely accurate... its not about them just giving Cousins what he wants; they're literally not able to front so much cash. The deals are going to be very similar, but from a finance perspective Cousins would be stupid to turn down a huge amount of money that will be wired to him as soon as next week. We'll see what he decides. 

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Its similar to winning the lottery. It's always better to get the lump sum up front and invest it for a better return on interest rather than the one pay check every month for the rest of your life. 

• Like 2

Lol thank god I'm at a seminar today and tomorrow. I literally set up my schedule so I can be on my phone constantly tracking free agency... 

Haha. I work in the evening and will try and stay updated. I’m a travel agent during the day as well and told clients I’m busy the next few days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

It is a big deal when you're talking millions... $40 million tomorrow versus $40 million by seasons end is a pretty sizable difference in finance. Whether Kirk will care or not is an entirely different question, but history shows he's a very shrewd business person. 

It is a big deal when you're talking millions... $40 million tomorrow versus $40 million by seasons end is a pretty sizable difference in finance. Whether Kirk will care or not is an entirely different question, but history shows he's a very shrewd business person. 

Exactly it’s no different for any salary too. If I make 130k a year, I’d much rather be guaranteed that money January 1st every year than get paid in installments.

• Like 1