EVERYTHING ELSE!

ET80

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

*shrug* 

I liked Pancakes. I didn't take too much of his news at face value, but he was entertaining overall.

I used to not care for him, but after seeing him speak in this Sports Reporting class at UH when I was a student i had a new found respect for him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I used to not care for him, but after seeing him speak in this Sports Reporting class at UH when I was a student i had a new found respect for him. 

Bingo - he's part of the old guard, but he didn't go to the lowest common denominator like Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd. For all of his inaccuracies, he never went the shock jock route (like former 610 host Nick Wright did) and he had plenty of ammo to turn into that national guy we hate (heck, he could have become the greatest troll on Twitter as the unofficial authority on the Astros). 

He could have absolutely played to the cheap seats and developed a persona that said outlandish stuff, but he stuck to his guns and reported with some sort of integrity - he wasn't dropping bombs for clicks like his counterparts did. 

He was great, then Joel Bushbaum died, followed by the Oilers moving so he lost his contacts around the NFL. So when the Texans came in he had Dan Riley as his inside source on the Texans. After Casserly was gone RS/Kubiak used him as a useful tool. BOB had no use for him and he then got lazy wanting to be a movie critic/actor instead of forging new relationships. As a sports reporter he fell back on his clout as a HOF nominator and a storyteller. I guess there's value in that if that's your thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

He was great, then Joel Bushbaum died, followed by the Oilers moving so he lost his contacts around the NFL. So when the Texans came in he had Dan Riley as his inside source on the Texans. After Casserly was gone RS/Kubiak used him as a useful tool. BOB had no use for him and he then got lazy wanting to be a movie critic/actor instead of forging new relationships. As a sports reporter he fell back on his clout as a HOF nominator and a storyteller. I guess there's value in that if that's your thing.

I think Jamey Rootes was also very close to McClain - during the BoB era, McClain was still on top of non-football news and was the first one to break Rootes leaving the organization after Jack Easterby seized power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think Jamey Rootes was also very close to McClain - during the BoB era, McClain was still on top of non-football news and was the first one to break Rootes leaving the organization after Jack Easterby seized power.

Ya and he held a grudge vs the org after that 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya and he held a grudge vs the org after that 

He didn't try to hide how much he disliked Easterby - then again, nobody tried to hide how much they disliked Easterby.

• Like 2