Where We Go From Here

Just Want A Title

Just now, rob_shadows said:

He's the head coach... Even if he doesn't directly call the plays the gameplan has to be okayed by him so it's still his fault if the play calling is too conservative.

I would argue that over aggressive play calling lost us the Pittsburgh game this year. Once again, people see Caldwell's demeanor and assume he's more passive than he is.

Caldwell is 36-28 in four seasons at the helm, which means he's won more often than any other Lions coach in the Super Bowl era. He's made the playoffs twice, and twice took the division title to the final day of the season. He's owned the division, too, going 5-1 this year and 16-8 overall.

His .667 winning percentage in the division is the best by any Lions coach in any four-year period. And they just swept Green Bay for the first time since 1991.

With their 9-7 record Detroit posted back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 1994-95.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/quick_observations_from_the_li_6.html#incart_river_index

# Name Term Regular season Playoffs Awards
GC W L T Win% GC W L
Portsmouth Spartans
1 Hal Griffin 1930 14 5 6 3 .464  
Portsmouth Spartans / Detroit Lions
2 George "Potsy" Clark[N 1] 19311936 74 48 20 6 .689 1 1 0  
3 Earl "Dutch" Clark* 19371938 22 14 8 0 .636  
4 Gus Henderson 1939 11 6 5 0 .545  
George "Potsy" Clark*[N 1] 1940 11 5 5 1 .500  
5 Bill Edwards 19411942 14 4 9 1 .321  
6 John Karcis 1942 8 0 8 0 .000  
7 Gus Dorais 19431947 53 20 31 2 .396  
8 Bo McMillin 19481950 36 12 24 0 .333  
9 Buddy Parker 19511956 72 47 23 2 .667 4 3 1 UPI NFL Coach of the Year (1956)[6]
10 George Wilson 19571964 104 53 45 6 .538 2 2 0 AP Coach of the Year (1957)[7]
11 Harry Gilmer 19651966 28 10 16 2 .393  
12 Joe Schmidt* 19671972 84 43 34 7 .554 1 0 1  
13 Don McCafferty 1973 14 6 7 1 .464  
14 Rick Forzano 19741976 32 15 17 0 .469  
15 Tommy Hudspeth 19761977 24 11 13 0 .458  
16 Monte Clark 19781984 105 43 61 1 .414 2 0 2  
17 Darryl Rogers 19851988 58 18 40 0 .310  
18 Wayne Fontes 19881996 133 66 67 0 .496 5 1 4 AP Coach of the Year (1991)[8]
Pro Football Weekly Coach of the Year (1991)[9]
UPI NFC Coach of the Year (1991)[10]
19 Bobby Ross 19972000 57 27 30 0 .474 2 0 2  
20 Gary Moeller 2000 7 4 3 0 .571  
21 Marty Mornhinweg 20012002 32 5 27 0 .156  
22 Steve Mariucci 20032005 43 15 28 0 .349  
23 **** Jauron 2005 5 1 4 0 .200  
24 Rod Marinelli 20062008 48 10 38 0 .208  
25 Jim Schwartz 20092013 80 29 51 0 .363 1 0 1  
26 Jim Caldwell 20142017 63 35 28 0 .556 2 0 2

I know the bar in Detroit is set pretty low as far as head coaches go, but Caldwell has the best winning percentage of any Lions HC since the 50s. We've had two playoff births and two seasons where we went into week 17 with a shot at the division title. I can't remember a more successful 4 year period in my life as a Lions fan. All with sub par talent on a team filled out with mainly Martin Mayhew's busts. I really like what Quinn is doing to add talent to the team, and I think once that talent perforates the roster Caldwell can win in the playoffs. 

There appears to be a lot of HCing spots opening up this year, and not many candidates excite me. Seeing as how no coach will have made it past a first contract in Detroit in 20+ years it wouldn't shock me if Detroit wasn't the top coaching candidates top choice. I'd be mortified if we canned Caldwell and ended up with a guy like John Fox or Marvin Lewis because our other choices went else where.

I think we should take a look at Jack Del Rio. He had to deal with a crazy owner & a sub par team & still did well. One fault with Caldwell nobody Is talking about is his lack of developing talent. Players have been leaving here after playing sub par & go to a new team with better coaching and they excell! This staff cannot develop young talent. Time to move to the next level.

2 hours ago, GetDownandDirty said:

I think we should take a look at Jack Del Rio. He had to deal with a crazy owner & a sub par team & still did well. 

Lol, oh boy. He had two losing seasons in his 3 years here.  The 2016 team was an anomaly, it was a team that relied on its QB to pull out games in the 4th Q (Matt Stafford and Carr were both 4th quarter magicians last year) and Khalil Mack's greatness. We very easily should've been an 8-8 ball club that year but the ball bounced our way.

He is a defensive guy yet his defenses have consistently been among the worst in the league these past 3 years. He badly mismanaged his coordinators.

2 hours ago, GetDownandDirty said:

One fault with Caldwell nobody Is talking about is his lack of developing talent. Players have been leaving here after playing sub par & go to a new team with better coaching and they excell! This staff cannot develop young talent. Time to move to the next level.

Yet you want to hire Del Rio? Lol. The guy sucks at developing talent. I honestly can't name a single player in the 3 years he was here I would credit him developing. 

Jack Del Rio is as mediocre as it gets. Only had back to back winning seasons once in his 11 years of coaching, which included a 9-7 season. Jim Caldwell is ten times the coach

Well I see many happy with this move and really not sure it’s wise. Many were hopeful when they fired Fontes many years ago and it took this long to find someone that could actually bring wins again consistently. Be careful what you wish for and hopefully they can find someone as consistent at least as Caldwell and Fontes. 

Spoken like true losers. I'm glad they fired him, he wasn't making the team better imo, the team has talent and the coach doesn't maximize it for his players on this team.

So many content with just being average because we've been bad for forever. Losers man....

Mike Vrabel would be a ridiculously good hire imo, he's going to be a HC somewhere. Dude was smart as a whip as aplayer and it easily translating to the coordinator positon for him, I don't see him having a hard transition to the main gig.

Can Lions also just interview Peyton Manning already? NO I don't know if he's good or bad but it's about the only way we could hire him, giving him his first coaching job, lol.

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5350006

Lol, I read this and was like... Dude seriously If they like him over Marvin Lewis idk if these guys know how to evaluate coaching at all in football. lol. I don't think he's a bad coordinator, or a guy for Cincy/Miami/Giants to bounce themselves off the ground real quick and rebuild but Lions are looking for a guy for the next level, not a bounce back, or rebuild

I don't know who the top 5 coaches are, but Lions MUST get one. They have one of the best "situations" in football right now for an incoming coach.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Spoken like true losers. I'm glad they fired him, he wasn't making the team better imo, the team has talent and the coach doesn't maximize it for his players on this team.

So many content with just being average because we've been bad for forever. Losers man....

You were pounding the table for Marvin Lewis, who in his first four years with the Bengals only had one winning season and only one playoff appearance, where they were one and done. Caldwell's first four years with the Lions out performed Lewis and his first four years with the Bengals.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Mike Vrabel would be a ridiculously good hire imo, he's going to be a HC somewhere. Dude was smart as a whip as aplayer and it easily translating to the coordinator positon for him, I don't see him having a hard transition to the main gig.

Can Lions also just interview Peyton Manning already? NO I don't know if he's good or bad but it's about the only way we could hire him, giving him his first coaching job, lol.

So you are calling us losers? Simply based on fact many of us older fans have seen this before and understand that sometimes a firing like this isn’t all that great? 

Hahaha chill man. Love the emotion but I have no idea about your life situations or styles. In sports to me it's just a losers mentality to be ok with average and not looking constantly to get better. I just feel like you'll lose whatever your doing if "you're afraid" it can get worst when you know what you have isn't better than the guys your competing against for titles. I'm also just very confident this team can't be much better than a fringe playoff team under Jim Caldwell, and I'm not afraid to go look for better when we've got the best QB we've ever had in the last 50 years. It's now time to get good/great and Caldwell wasn't it. I think it was pretty clear he wasn't going to be great, he could give you a competitive team most weeks but it was almost a given he would get out coached/schemed in games against other talented teams with good coaches. Getting a competitive team around week to week is a solid attribute, especially for a rebuilding team with young players learning how to become professionals, but honestly, imo Lions are past this and have been since Caldwell was hired, They didn't fire Jim Schwartz to rebuild, it was to get better which they might of marginally, but again, it's time for another step this time a BIG one, THE step. It's the last chance/coaching staff we'll have with Matthew Stafford Very good/borderline great at times. We've got a 2-5 year window.

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

You were pounding the table for Marvin Lewis, who in his first four years with the Bengals only had one winning season and only one playoff appearance, where they were one and done. Caldwell's first four years with the Lions out performed Lewis and his first four years with the Bengals.

Well if you unfocused the micro-scope a bit, most people would understand the situations both walked into are a lot different.

If you want to say fruit is fruit, you're right, but there is a difference between an apple and a strawberry.

Archived