2018 draft talk

Danand

Neither of those mentions are suprising. I might be coloured from listening and discussing draft with danes, but especially Davenports ceiling compared to Chubb have been a fellow standpoint. Hurst is talked about as a "better" prospect than Chubb, and that he deserves to be taken higher. Calvin Ridley has very little backing in danish circles, which might be because we don't follow college football to the same degree during the season, so our hype about prospects isn't build up over a longer period.

I've been on that Kupp comparison for a while now, glad to see someone else mention it.

-"I'm a fan of DJ Moore as much as anyone but this downplaying of Ridley's ability, not his potential but his pure ability, is getting odd. You won't be able to find one credible analyst who doesn't consider Ridley to be a big time talent, he has question marks like everyone else but he's one of the most NFL ready WRs to come out in years. Calvin is this year's first round version of Cooper Kupp, an over-aged super refined talent, but Ridley has better athleticism, hands, route running etc etc. He's a legit #1 option in the passing the game, I won't call him a bonafide number one in the mold of a Calvin Johnson or Nuk, but he's 100% a player the passing offense can flow through right away."

It’s funny. I’m just so burnt out with the draft analysis. Guys that I once liked as first round options such as DJ Moore, Rashaan Evans, and Calvin Ridley, I’m weary of. Guys I once disliked, such as Courtland Sutton and Roquan Smith, I actually like as some of the best at their position. And then there are players where I went from liking them to being weary of them to loving them all again such as Michael Gallup and Anthony Miller. There are very few players where my opinion has gone unmoved and thus I hope we draft them regardless of which round:

1. Derwin James

2. Frank Ragnow

3. Connor Williams

4. Tyrell Crosby

5a. Nick Chubb

5b. Dallas Goedert

Nearly all the other players, I’ve been up and down on and either which way. With these 5/6 players (though James likely won’t be available, but has an outside shot), I’ve never waivered and I’m confident that injuries withstanding they will end up as arguably the top options at their position to come out of this draft class.

That being said, I’m sure I’ll be a fan of whoever the Ravens select. There aren’t many players that I outright would hate them selecting in the first round. The only two picks that might annoy me would be a running back or tight end at #16.

The draft games have really got me into the mode of trying to figure out how we will go on draft day and I’m really intrigued to see what the Ravens draft plan will be. They seem confident that they know the players that will go in the top 15 more than any other year in recent memory. They also said the player we pick might surprise some people.

I’m really wondering who it might be. There also seems to be even less noise than usual about who the 30 pre draft visits we’ve had.

That said, I just went onto ourlads to look at our depth chart and ILB was the one spot that stuck out like a sore thumb. I haven’t really watched a lot of LVE, but he seems to be a forum darling and he’s got quite the athletic profile. He seems to have just as much upside as Marcus Davenport but at a much more needed position. 

We also held a pre draft visit with a similar late conversion linebacker in Joel Lanning that’s kind of broke mans version of LVE. A defensive player would certainly surprise the media and many fans as well.

I’ve also been having a tough time upgrading the position in mocks by addressing the position later with mediocre talent. LVE or Edmunds, in particular, at ILB within the defense would upgrade our defense so much. I’ve stated time and again that giving Mosley a bigger running mate that can take on the occasional blocks would allow him to cut weight and increase his athleticism. It would improve the confidence in our defensive line with their gap integrity, and it would limit our exposure to Eric Weddle’s tackling in the open field.

That increase in defensive efficiency would improve our overall team more and more quickly than any improvement anywhere else at any other position IMO. So I’m thinking LVE might be the most likely selection based off of how confident the Ravens were in reading the first 15 picks and how confident they were that they seemed to KNOW who they would be picking and that he would be available.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-miller-a-top-target-for-raiders-broncos-open-for-business-and-more-notes/

Baltimore would prefer not to take a tight end at 16, and look for them to explore trading down, too. I just don't know who moves up. Regardless, if they could drop down 5-7 spots they would covet South Carolina tight end Hayden Hurst I'm told. I don't see many tight ends going in the first round, but if Hurst is there when the Saints pick that looks like a natural match.

:(

I see this as smoke. Not much comes from out of the Baltimore organization unless the want it to. Even DJ is just guessing. Says he’s getting mixed signals and messages from the organization. If even the most plugged in draft analyst has little clue what we’re looking to do... nor does our forum have any kind of clue what we’re looking to do, I doubt any rumor coming out about the Ravens, especially one that has us taking a 25 year old tight end in the first round of the draft that has nothing more than above average athleticism, solid blocking, and quality hands. He’s not a playmaker with the ball in his hands nor a dominant receiving option. I definitely like him, but more as a late 2nd round option. 

But these reports seem more like some other team is tipping off the media about what they’re hearing the Ravens want rather than the Ravens legitimately spilling the beans about what they’re looking to do. This just sounds like some team is trying to inflate Hurst’s value so that another team that’s in love with him will look to take Hurst earlier than normal. Push some talent down the draft. This reminds me of the LVE neck rumors, but in reverse.

But hey draft week is upon us. We shall see very soon what’s real and what’s fake in just a few days.

This is a little random, but if Minkah Fitzpatrick falls to the teens I think we need to trade up to secure him. I doubt that he falls, but I think he’s going to be the best free safety prospect to come out of the draft in the last decade.

Id easily give up our 3rd round pick to secure him. The Bills would be ideal, but I’m sure they’ll trade up from 12. So hopefully whatever team that trades into that spot might be looking to move back if he falls.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is a little random, but if Minkah Fitzpatrick falls to the teens I think we need to trade up to secure him.

thank you Sir, been pimping him for weeks. one of the few true "red star" prospects in this years draft, if he slides make sure you get ahead of Green Bay.

pending how the top of the draft unfolds (hoping for a full-on QB frenzy), i could see him falling past Tampa/Chicago easily.

after that it could go either/or with Ward being highly coveted and Raiders probably in for a LB, Dolphins/Bills may be willing to tradedown a few spots if no QB is left.

i'd give up the 3rd and not look back.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is a little random, but if Minkah Fitzpatrick falls to the teens I think we need to trade up to secure him.

God damn DB, you fall in love over and over again. Tumultuous relationship with Anthony Miller, Steady Romance with Derwin James, Fling with DJ Moore, and now we find out you have a Side Piece in Minkah Fitzpatrick you're willing to drop capital on? 

34 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

God damn DB, you fall in love over and over again. Tumultuous relationship with Anthony Miller, Steady Romance with Derwin James, Fling with DJ Moore, and now we find out you have a Side Piece in Minkah Fitzpatrick you're willing to drop capital on? 

What can I say, I’m a hopeless romantic.?

Don't get me wrong, I still like Derwin James and would run to the podium to get him, he’s stronger and just as athletic as Fitzpatrick. But Minkah is more like Ed Reed in that he has better football instincts, he’s a better playmaker after the catch, and he’s a cover 1 safety option. He’s also a much easier talent to fit in immediately within our defense. 

Archived