Baltimore Ravens 2018 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

23 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Use some of that space to sign a pass catching RB. I wouldn't mind a slight revamp of the RB position. I like who we have but somethings missing. I think a 1,2 of Demarco Murray and Collins would be nice. 

To be fair, all three of Baltimore's running backs are pass-catching options. Dixon in particular has the hands/RAC ability you would want. I think the Ravens are missing that 3rd down pass-protecting option more than anything else. Ricard can't do it nor are Collins, Allen, or Dixon (most likely) particular reliable. If someone is brought in I would bet on someone who can pass-protect in the backfield being the guy.

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Is it bad that I'm more excited about the FB we just added from Germany than any of our 4th+ round picks in the draft this year?

Yeah, kinda. Averett, Scott, and Lasley were good picks. Elliot was pretty solid too.

Being underwhelmed by the other four isn't unreasonable. I don't mind Senat and Seiler, gambling on small school projects late is something I can get behind, but they're still not "wow" picks. Young was a reach and Bozeman is meh at best though.

14 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, kinda. Averett, Scott, and Lasley were good picks. Elliot was pretty solid too.

Being underwhelmed by the other four isn't unreasonable. I don't mind Senat and Seiler, gambling on small school projects late is something I can get behind, but they're still not "wow" picks. Young was a reach and Bozeman is meh at best though.

Given our history with mid-late round WR's, I have zero reason to be even remotely excited about Scott and Lasley. Couple that with Lasley's drop issues and Scott's lack of any sort of speed/acceleration. Averett I'm kind of just "meh" about given our current CB group - not much space for the guy. Elliott I am actually excited about, I forgot about him.

4 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Am I the only one that feels content with our RBs? Maybe add a squirely pass catcher, but that's it.

I'm 100% content, although I wouldn't be mad if we added a veteran change-of-pace back and then let Buck strictly be the 3rd down/receiving back. But that's assuming that we don't get Dixon back at full strength, because if we do then Collins/Dixon is a great 1-2 punch with Buck Allen as the 3rd down guy.

42 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Given our history with mid-late round WR's, I have zero reason to be even remotely excited about Scott and Lasley. Couple that with Lasley's drop issues and Scott's lack of any sort of speed/acceleration.

Me neither. I've seen people try to drum up excitement for Tommy Streeter, Aaron Mellette, Tandon Doss and others. And then, when those guys didn't work out, I've seen people manufacture promising players from the likes of LaQuan Williams, Tim White and Jeremy Butler. None of them have amounted to anything.

Hearing the Ravens talk about "the real value for WRs is in the second and third round" and then seeing them take two guys in the fifth round? Just seems like deja vu all over again. I also have to say, Jordan Lasley's twitter post putting himself alongside Lamar Jackson as "the start of an era" really rubbed me up the wrong way. I don't expect that sort of arrogance from a guy who was drafted outside the top 150. I expect him to be humble, to recognise why he was drafted where he was, and to work hard to prove himself.

5 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Am I the only one that feels content with our RBs? Maybe add a squirely pass catcher, but that's it.

I'm totally fine with Collins, Dixon, and Allen. Actually like that trio quite a bit. The team likes to have that pass-protector in the backfield though. I'd rather they not sign one, there are too few roster spots to go around now, but I'm expecting it to happen. Maybe Ortiz shows something there.

1 minute ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Me neither. I've seen people try to drum up excitement for Tommy Streeter, Aaron Mellette, Tandon Doss and others. And then, when those guys didn't work out, I've seen people manufacture promising players from the likes of LaQuan Williams, Tim White and Jeremy Butler. None of them have amounted to anything.

Hearing the Ravens talk about "the real value for WRs is in the second and third round" and then seeing them take two guys in the fifth round? Just seems like deja vu all over again. I also have to say, Jordan Lasley's twitter post putting himself alongside Lamar Jackson as "the start of an era" really rubbed me up the wrong way. I don't expect that sort of arrogance from a guy who barely got drafted. I expect him to be humble, to recognise why he was drafted where he was, and to work hard to prove himself.

Bingo. Our best drafted WR since Torrey Smith is Chris Moore, who has 294 career receiving yards to his name. I'm not expecting anything from Scott or Lasley. If they manage to make the roster and actually catch a TD pass for us this year, I'll consider that a success.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Given our history with mid-late round WR's, I have zero reason to be even remotely excited about Scott and Lasley. Couple that with Lasley's drop issues and Scott's lack of any sort of speed/acceleration. Averett I'm kind of just "meh" about given our current CB group - not much space for the guy. Elliott I am actually excited about, I forgot about him.

Man, I guess I have to go here. Receivers Ravens have drafted by round:

1st: Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, Breshad Perriman

2nd: Patrick Johnson, Torrey Smith

3rd: Devard Darling, Yamon Figurs

4th: Brandon Stokley, Ron Johnson, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Tandon Doss, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott

5th: Jermaine Lewis, David Reed, Jordan Lasley

6th: James Roe, Javin Hunter, Clarence Moore, Tommy Streeter, Darren Waller (moved to TE), Keenan Reynolds (transitioned from QB)

7th: Derek Abney, Justin Harper, Aaron Mellette, Michael Campanaro

And that's it. Not an impressive list. If the pass/fail bar is Baltimore's history at the position based on round... then they shouldn't ever draft one. Lock up shop and never waste draft resources on the position again because their history suggests they're going to fail. Every prospect they ever take from here on out is going to end up being the same as every prospect they've ever taken in the past.

Yeah, I was being a little over the top there. The point is Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley are not any of the guys Baltimore has taken in the 4th and 5th rounds. They are Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley. Entirely individual cases that shouldn't be judged on something that has absolutely no bearing/relation to them whatsoever. 

25 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Man, I guess I have to go here. Receivers Ravens have drafted by round:

1st: Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, Breshad Perriman

2nd: Patrick Johnson, Torrey Smith

3rd: Devard Darling, Yamon Figurs

4th: Brandon Stokley, Ron Johnson, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Tandon Doss, Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott

5th: Jermaine Lewis, David Reed, Jordan Lasley

6th: James Roe, Javin Hunter, Clarence Moore, Tommy Streeter, Darren Waller (moved to TE), Keenan Reynolds (transitioned from QB)

7th: Derek Abney, Justin Harper, Aaron Mellette, Michael Campanaro

And that's it. Not an impressive list. If the pass/fail bar is Baltimore's history at the position based on round... then they shouldn't ever draft one. Lock up shop and never waste draft resources on the position again because their history suggests they're going to fail. Every prospect they ever take from here on out is going to end up being the same as every prospect they've ever taken in the past.

Yeah, I was being a little over the top there. The point is Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley are not any of the guys Baltimore has taken in the 4th and 5th rounds. They are Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley. Entirely individual cases that shouldn't be judged on something that has absolutely no bearing/relation to them whatsoever. 

Same could be said for literally any of those aforementioned guys, but the end result is almost always the same. I'm not going to get my hopes up, though. 

Now, seeing as though Decosta is taking over for Ozzie, things might change. But Ozzie has never been able to draft the WR position well. The fact that in his 20+ years he's drafted what looks to be maybe 3 solid WR's is.....yeah.

6 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

To be fair, all three of Baltimore's running backs are pass-catching options. Dixon in particular has the hands/RAC ability you would want. I think the Ravens are missing that 3rd down pass-protecting option more than anything else. Ricard can't do it nor are Collins, Allen, or Dixon (most likely) particular reliable. If someone is brought in I would bet on someone who can pass-protect in the backfield being the guy.

I think the obvious usage will be to insert Hayden Hurst into the 3rd down pass blocking back role, while Mark Andrews plays the H back or Y receiver role during shotgun formations. Hurst has done this at the college level.

6 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Adrian Peterson?? 

??

I've always wanted to see him in purple. I think he's pretty much done though, sadly. 

Archived