2019 Draftable RBs--Who Would You Take

Just Want A Title

The 2019 draft class seems to have a lot of high quality RBs.  We have no shot at Saquon Barkley.  Who should we take and in what round?  I am not a big fan of taking a RB in Round 1 considering the depth of this RB class and our need at DE and DT but Derrius Guice would be a solid pick.  I would rather have Damien Harris or Nick Chubb.  Both backs have enough talent to be taken in round 2.  Thoughts?

I like Royce Freeman out of Oregon. Big, Bruising runningback. Very good blocker & catches passes like a WR. Projected to go in the 3rd round. Why the NFL scouts are rating him to go lower in the draft is that he doesn’t have high end speed. Last time I looked, we keep drafting speed with no results! Last time I looked, we can’t get 1 or 2 yards for 1st downs or TD’s. I think it’s time to get a back that run’s over tacklers not into them & done!! He is being compared to Hershel Walker. 

If they don’t have a shot at a top back then try to bolster through free agency. This team has a list of failed second tier running backs. I don’t think another second tier back is going to magically achieve what the others could not. If they fix the oline the current backs should be adequate. 

38 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

If they don’t have a shot at a top back then try to bolster through free agency. This team has a list of failed second tier running backs. I don’t think another second tier back is going to magically achieve what the others could not. If they fix the oline the current backs should be adequate. 

I do think that we should try and grab someone in FA while also adding via the draft. Minnesota did a solid job in picking up Murray and drafting Cook. Cook looked like a stud until he went down. Murray helped to stabilize that position to some extent and helps to keep the Vikings from being one dimensional. If we can grab a guy like Carlos Hyde or Crowell along with someone in the middle parts of the draft, we should be far improved.

That is why I like Royce Freeman. He is projected to go in the 3rd to 4th round. He’s not a speed back, but a bruiser who finds the holes. A third & short yardage back. Who blocks very good & catch passes like a wide receiver. NFL scouts feel he’s not speedy enough. Compared to Hershel Walker. I’m tired of drafting supposed speed backs who can’t punch the ball 1 or 2 yards. I’m ready to draft a running back who runs through & over people. Bettis wasn’t a speedster but it worked out good for him. Just check out his highlights:

On 1/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, Rockcity2 said:

I'm not impressed by any of these rbs in this draft honestly (except Barkley) 

I wouldn't even try one until about the 5th rd...

I'd go a different route

At least one major draft site would disagree with you.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-saquon-barkley-derrius-guice-bryce-love-headline-tremendous-rb-class/

I like the about five running backs honestly. Barkley looks to be another supreme talent at RB which seems to happen every year or every other now.

I don't think Lions could go very wrong with Chubbs or Guice. I think they're both good, both players are getting compared to the same guy(Frank Gore) Who's had a really good career and I'd love if Lions drafted a guy like Gore.

Someone mentioned Royce Freeman, he's not a bad player imo either. I think the Stewart comparison is a bit too easy because they played for Oregon. He honestly reminds me a lot of Carlos Hyde. Who I would also take right now for the Lions.

I like Bryce Love too but he seems like  C.J. Spiller/Giovani Bernard type guy. Not really the type of guy I'm looking for but I think he's more talented than anyone we have currently and would boost our running game still.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:03 PM, Just Want A Title said:

The 2019 draft class seems to have a lot of high quality RBs.  We have no shot at Saquon Barkley.  Who should we take and in what round?  I am not a big fan of taking a RB in Round 1 considering the depth of this RB class and our need at DE and DT but Derrius Guice would be a solid pick.  I would rather have Damien Harris or Nick Chubb.  Both backs have enough talent to be taken in round 2.  Thoughts?

I believe we can find a solid RB in round 2, just have to hope for the best!!! Harris, Chub, Michel, Ronald Jones, Royce Freeman and Bo Scarbrough are all candidates worthy of a look. Bryce Love also should be given consideration.

58 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

One of the reasons I like Royce Freeman is I think we can get him in the 4th round. I like a few of the other big name running backs, but I wouldn’t want to waste any of our 1st 3 picks on a runningback, rather get better talent at other positions. 

I think Freeman will go between 3rd and 4th round. There will be questions about his production - is it Freeman or is it the Oregon system? I made the J-Stew comparison earlier. It's not as much as playing style or that he's from Oregon. It's more about his success in the NFL compared to a lot of other UO RB's as of late. Stewart has had success as a lead back. LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner, De'Anthony Thomas and even Blount are role players with little success.

Carlos Hyde is probably not a bad example and I would gladly take that with this offense. We don't have Blake Bortles at QB, so I don't see a reason on changing the focus of the offense away from Stafford. However, he does need help with a more consistent run game. We need a back that can chew up some time, get a conversion on 3rd &1, score when we're on the goal line and catch a couple passes to keep defenses honest.

Rashaad Penny is another guy that I'm looking at as a potential option.

Archived