Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I mean the ST was a **** show. Any person in this forum could have done a better job than Drayton in that game. 

I think the question about Adams is interesting though given our success without him in the past and 12 playing a different game without him as well...

Understood.....but the only point I was putting forward that it would have seemed far more natural to have an OLineman blocking there than a DLineman.....and it's not like we were lacking for a "spare" LT.......... 

My wondering how much AR actually wants to return goes all the way back to his presser before training camp this year when he said something akin to: "It's not like Green Bay's a hot vacation destination"

That was the first public comment I can recall him making that spoke of Green Bay in a derogatory manner - which makes me wonder about the woman in his life and how she (and their' planned future) mesh with him returning.

I pick up dribs and drabs of this stuff....but is it accurate that she has a place in Boulder?

To AR (and his fiance) this decision could have more of a lifestyle take than his contract and the roster construction of the Packers.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood.....but the only point I was putting forward that it would have seemed far more natural to have an OLineman blocking there than a DLineman.....and it's not like we were lacking for a "spare" LT.......... 

You don't put the fat guy on the end.  If you use Lancaster he needs to be in the interior.  The speed guys are on the outside on the FG defense.  You need guys with a twitch and mobility to be able to block them.  

Same with that long snapper.  You can't have a scarecrow snapping or he gets walked right back to the punter.   

This is high school level football stuff.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

You don't put the fat guy on the end.  If you use Lancaster he needs to be in the interior.  The speed guys are on the outside on the FG defense.  You need guys with a twitch and mobility to be able to block them.

Yosh could have handled it IMO.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Same with that long snapper.  You can't have a scarecrow snapping or he gets walked right back to the punter.

Yes and no. I cant speak to the long snapper's talents - although I read a fair amount of issues with his snapping ability during the season. Interestingly, we didnt have anybody "walking him right back into the punter" during the year. Not to my knowledge at least.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yosh could have handled it IMO.

Agree, much better suited.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

My wondering how much AR actually wants to return goes all the way back to his presser before training camp this year when he said something akin to: "It's not like Green Bay's a hot vacation destination"

That was the first public comment I can recall him making that spoke of Green Bay in a derogatory manner - which makes me wonder about the woman in his life and how she (and their' planned future) mesh with him returning.

I pick up dribs and drabs of this stuff....but is it accurate that she has a place in Boulder?

To AR (and his fiance) this decision could have more of a lifestyle take than his contract and the roster construction of the Packers.

Some are raising questions if they are still together.  

She reportedly has a place in Boulder but she's an actress.  I read she's rarely there, working on films and projects throughout the world.  

Perhaps she quits her actress career and stays in Boulder?  No idea what their plans are, but she isn't there a lot from what I read.

Edited by NFLGURU

On the ST question, yes there were some coaching SNAFU's but folks forget in the very latter part of the season GB decided to bring back some injured players and bumped guys who while not overwhelming were keeping things stable in the middle of the year.

This is what led Lancaster back to the FG team from which he was pulled early in the year. Point being don't undersell personal as a factor in that playoff loss...sometimes when you monkey with the group that got you there late you lose your mojo. I think that happened in GB. Two cents

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -  This sets up a difficult question: would you rather stay all-in the next two years with Rodgers then be left with a huge question at QB and no compensation when he retires

Or

Trade him now, get a haul with an already loaded roster, and try to build for 2023+?

The latter!  It's time!  Don't need Aaron holding the organization hostage whenever he feels slighted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The QB position is different. This isn't the early 2000s where first round QBs sit 2-3 years. You draft a first round QB specifically to maximize having a starting QB on a rookie contract. Maybe they sit one year, then you play them. 

First round QBs rarely sit for more than 1 year.  I looked it up and posted in another thread, but I'll post the results here too.  So rare in fact, that only 4 of them have done it since 2000, and 2 were in GB.

------

I went through all the first round QBs in the Super Bowl era, and the following is the list of QBs that had one or fewer starts in their first two seasons out of a grand total of 127 QBs drafted in round 1:

• Don Horn (1967) - drafted by GB - started 5 games in '69 for GB, 1 in '70, and 9 in '71 for Denver.
  • Tommy Kramer (1977) - drafted by Minnesota - full time starter for the Vikings from '79-'82 and '85-'86 - 2nd team all pro in '86
  • Rich Campbell (1981) - drafted by GB - started no games in his four year career.
  • Andre Ware (1990) - drafted by Detroit - started 6 games in his four year career.
  • Jim Druckenmiller (1997) - drafted by the 9ers - started 1 game in his two year career.
  • Chad Pennington (2000) - drafted by the Jets - full time starter from '02-'07 (excluding injuries)
  • Philip Rivers (2004) - drafted by the Giants (traded to San Diego) - full time starter from '06-'20 without missing a game - 8x pro bowler
  • Aaron Rodgers (2005) - drafted by GB - full time starter from '08-'21 (excluding injuries) - 4x MVP
  • Jordan Love (2020)

So in the last 20 years (QBs benefiting most from the 2004 rule changes favoring the offense), it's been Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, and Jordan Love.  That's the entire list.  One sure fire, HOFer, one sorta borderline, and a QB who just finished his second year.  This is not to say Jordan Love is a sure thing (far from it).  But the argument that "if he hasn't played by now, he's no good" literally has no contemporary examples. 

Jim Druckenmiller in '97 is the most recent one fitting the criteria who bombed out, but before 2000, Tommy Kramer is the exception to the rule of "they sit so they suck", whereas there are no examples since 2000 of "they sit so they suck".  (If you expand the list to more than one start, Paxton Lynch is the other one in this era, but even he got a chance with 4 starts over his first two years).

The other really interesting thing is of the 9 1st round QBs with one start or fewer in their first two years, GB has drafted 4 of them.  This isn't an NFL thing.  This is a GB thing.

-------

• Don Horn (1967) - Behind Bart Starr (MVP & HOF)
  • Tommy Kramer (1977) - Behind Fran Tarkenton (MVP & HOF)
  • Rich Campbell (1981) - Behind Lynn Dickey
  • Andre Ware (1990) - Behind Rodney Peete
  • Jim Druckenmiller (1997) - Behind Steve Young (MVP & HOF)
  • Chad Pennington (2000) - Behind Vinny Testaverde (Hall of "thrown for more yards and more touchdowns in the NFL than any other eligible quarterback who is not in the Hall of Fame")
  • Philip Rivers (2004) - Behind Drew Brees (Super Bowl MVP & future HOF)
  • Aaron Rodgers (2005) - Behind Brett Favre (MVP & HOF)
  • Jordan Love (2020) - Behind Aaron Roders (MVP & future HOF)

So yeah, 6 of the 9 were selected while a HOFer ran the team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I won't give him heat.  He took a chance on Love.  It was the 26th pick, which are hit or miss a lot of time anyway, and I haven't thrown Love out just yet.  Was Love the motivation for Rodgers to get the MVPs? If so, it works for me.  Some teams have been looking for a QB for 50 years.  This is peanuts to pay and we may still get some dividends in his play or a trade.

I will say Rodgers' relationship is what has elevated Rodgers' play more than Gute drafting Love.

2 hours ago, smetana34 said:

That game would be fine if you're Jimmy Garappollo or Ryan Tannehill. It's not okay when you're the highest paid player on your team, the MVP, and the #1 seed. Aaron came up short in the playoffs once again. It just is what it is at this point

That performance by AR isn't fine no matter who your QB is.  Like I said before - Rodgers played like garbage in the NFCC game in Chicago but because the TEAM won nobody cared.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The QB position is different. This isn't the early 2000s where first round QBs sit 2-3 years. You draft a first round QB specifically to maximize having a starting QB on a rookie contract. Maybe they sit one year, then you play them. 

Not when you already have a QB playing like Rodgers has in the regular season these past 2 years.  Most of the time a team picking a QB in the first need one and throw him to the wolves right away.

He isn't wrong unless you are a football fanatic.  

I don't understand why we had DL on the edge either.  I hope our new ST coordinator approaches this differently.