Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Right, media speculation. Gute was also very clear from the beginning last year that there was zero interest on the Packers' side in trading Rodgers. While I think, deep down, Gute had an original plan to move on from Rodgers after year 1 or 2 with Love, that plan got thrown out the window, largely because of Rodgers' success in 20-21. That made the decision, or lack thereof, a fairly simple one for Gute by that point. 

So again, the fans and media can sit at home and say "he should have traded him" but there's not a snowball's chance in hell any of us are making that decision if we're the GM of the Green Bay Packers given the circumstances that existed at that time.  

Courage is easy to have when it's a hypothetical situation

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I can 100% guarantee you I would have pulled the trigger on trading him after 2020 or 2021. The haul I would have gotten, I wouldn't have flinched. 

I can also tell you trading him after 2020 might have been a mistake in hindsight because Jordan Love might not have been ready, but I would have rolled the dice. 

Every human being is familiar with the concept of self-preservation. Brian Gutekunst is no different. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

These guys have such a revulsion of Aaron Rodgers that everything that can be slightly twisted to reflect negatively on him is true in their eyes.  There is no nuance, no objectivity, no other side.  And we can barely even talk about any other topic because they have to let you know that Aaron Rodgers is bad, and we need to get rid of him.  It is beyond the getting old point.

Since we are under the cap now, I hope they bring Rodgers back, and give him even more money, just to spaz these guys out even more.

I mean, I'm not even trying to "one-up" anyone here. I just pointing out that something that has never happened in the history of professional football wasn't suddenly going to happen in the off-season following the 2021 season. That's it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And had the team won 11 games and gotten into the playoffs again, there would be crickets on here about that thought process.

It's all about results.  And it could very well be that the difference between where we were and 11 wins (and into the playoffs) was a hurt throwing hand thumb.  Or maybe not.

Nah. 

Nah. There only would have been crickets if they won the super bowl this year. 

The "nobody trades a 2x consecutive MVP" isn't a valid point. The sample size is way too small (only 3 other QBs besides Rodgers), and he was easily the oldest to accomplish the feat. Considering how few QBs find success after 40, the time was right. Considering his playoffs failures even during the MVP campaigns, the time was right. 

I might have missed a data point, but after the timeless Brady (who won it at 40), Rodgers was the oldest MVP winner at 38 (Manning got his last at 37).

No one would have been crickets. It's tiring. The time was right last year. And everyone was talking about it last offseason. 

Edited by Smidgeon

54 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I can 100% guarantee you I would have pulled the trigger on trading him after 2020 or 2021. The haul I would have gotten, I wouldn't have flinched. 

I can also tell you trading him after 2020 might have been a mistake in hindsight because Jordan Love might not have been ready, but I would have rolled the dice. 

I know you would have.  You've been steadfast in that stance for a very long time.  It is not recent.  And I get it.  And I respect it and you.

But I'll maintain this....no GM makes that trade, at that time,  if their livelihood and reputation is on the line.

Fans have no skin in the game.

Love wasn't ready.  GB wins 4-7 games in those years.  (hypothetical but kindda probable)

Rodgers goes somewhere else, let's say San Fran.  Wins 13 games two seasons in a row.  Maybe gets to a Super Bowl.  Maybe wins one.  (hypothetical but kindda probable)

GM that traded him is out of a job and now has to explain why it was he traded the franchise QB and tanked his squad.  He has to explain that to an owner.  A hiring owner.  Good luck with that.

It is my belief that there is none of this talk if GB wins 11 games and gets into the playoffs this year.  It is the losing (which may have been in part to a thumb injury) that makes it plausible to discuss it now.  And had Love come in and looked bad this year?  Again, tough to talk about.  But he didn't.  To Love's credit, the kid looked good.  He looks ready.  So here we are.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I'm not even trying to "one-up" anyone here. I just pointing out that something that has never happened in the history of professional football wasn't suddenly going to happen in the off-season following the 2021 season. That's it. 

Some one gave a 38 year old $150 million dollar contract. That is something that has never happened in the history of professional football as well.

Either way something first of its kind was gonna happen.

They clearly picked the wrong one. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

These guys have such a revulsion of Aaron Rodgers that everything that can be slightly twisted to reflect negatively on him is true in their eyes.  There is no nuance, no objectivity, no other side.  And we can barely even talk about any other topic because they have to let you know that Aaron Rodgers is bad, and we need to get rid of him.  It is beyond the getting old point.

Since we are under the cap now, I hope they bring Rodgers back, and give him even more money, just to spaz these guys out even more.

Literally nothing in this conversation is portraying Rodgers negatively...

We're talking about whether or not Gute was and/or should have been considering trading Rodgers last off-season. 

This weird defense of Rodgers when nobody has said a negative word about him in this conversation is strange.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Now....factor in the amount of money you're paid a year....the fact your kids like the schools their in....your wife likes the area (and perhaps her job....) on and on and on.... - now - do you roll those dice and trade the twice consecutive MVP who's primary failure hasnt been in regular season games - but the Playoffs.

Especially (as you say..) you're not sure Love is ready to carry the team?

How much do you value your job?

If we believe that Gute believes what he says about Love this is a no-brainer "yes". 

14 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Nah. 

Nah. There only would have been crickets if they won the super bowl this year. 

The "nobody trades a 2x consecutive MVP" isn't a valid point. The sample size is way too small (only 3 other QBs besides Rodgers), and he was easily the oldest to accomplish the feat. Considering how few QBs find success after 40, the time was right. Considering his playoffs failures even during the MVP campaigns, the time was right. 

I might have missed a data point, but after the timeless Brady (who won it at 40), Rodgers was the oldest MVP winner at 38 (Manning got his last at 37).

No one would have been crickets. It's tiring. The time was right last year. And everyone was talking about it last offseason. 

I remember most everyone feeling relieved last season when Rodgers said he was open to returning.

It turned pretty quick when that contract came out.  Then it was smoothed over, because of his recent play.

Then it turned to Rodgers being so good that Lazard will be fine as a #1.   Jones will be used more....etc.

And my point wasn't about a 2X MVP being traded.  It was about an NFL MVP being traded a year after winning the crown.  Plenty of guys have won it.  None have been traded.

If you want to bring up the playoff failures, I'm there with yah.  100%.  We knew about that with Rodgers.  Which is why the forum was so pumped up about our defensive draft and how Rodgers could win by doing less, because the defense would be there.

And that didn't work, either.

You may think I'm very much against your point of view.  I am not.  I too wish it would have happened.  I'm looking at the probability of something that trade at the time.  It was not probable and easy to say when you have zero skin in the game.  Much different when you do.  Or it would have been done already.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Literally nothing in this conversation is portraying Rodgers negatively...

We're talking about whether or not Gute was and/or should have been considering trading Rodgers last off-season. 

This weird defense of Rodgers when nobody has said a negative word about him in this conversation is strange.

I consider quitting my job and moving my family somewhere else most every morning.  Just because something is considered does not make it likely.

I'm talking about likely.

I can and will very much concede that trading Rodgers could of and likely was...considered.  

29 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What actually transpired had never happened in the history of professional football before, either. 

You're relying entirely on hindsight...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What actually transpired had never happened in the history of professional football before, either. 

You're relying entirely on hindsight...

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I consider quitting my job and moving my family somewhere else most every morning.  Just because something is considered does not make it likely.

I'm talking about likely.

I can and will very much concede that trading Rodgers could of and likely was...considered.  

I roll a dice. It comes up 6.

Was it likely that that was going to happen?