Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Packerraymond said:

In what way is he a liability? It's sunk cost. Money's been paid, we owe it whether he's here or not. Bakh gives you play quality of a multiple 1sts LT, his injury probably makes him worth a 5th. So in what way do we gain value by trading the best pass pro OL in football for peanuts to save on a sunk cost?? Bad business....

he's a future cap problem.  He's gonna have to be released next year unless they act sooner.

It's fine to do what you propose and then just release him.  That's all I mean, his time is coming next year and we can choose to act now or act then.

Just now, CWood21 said:

The whole concept of trading him this year is about clearing his money off the books next year.  At this point, I think we'd be lucky get a conditional Day 3 pick for him.  Teams aren't going to exactly be jumping at the idea of paying him a ton of money.

this is not possible under his current deal - you can't trade him and move next year's dead cap money into this year afaik. 

And even if you wanted to do that... why?  Any money you save this year would just roll into next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Trading for JT would be a terrible move

He's nowhere near as dynamic as McCaffrey.  Not as good as Aaron Jones.

Not even that good of a player IMO.

Depends on what you want, better stretch zone and between the tackles runner than CMac. Obviously doesn't provide you a WR's skillset.

Not a good player is a poor take. Timed in the low 4.3s with a sub 1.5 10 yard at 225. Bout as rare as it gets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Depends on what you want, better stretch zone and between the tackles runner than CMac. Obviously doesn't provide you a WR's skillset.

Not a good player is a poor take. Timed in the low 4.3s with a sub 1.5 10 yard at 225. Bout as rare as it gets. 

NOT EVEN THAT GOOD of a player.  Pretty good player.

Not a chance I'd spend market extension money on that type of player plus whatever it costs to trade for him.

Just throw that money toward Saquon or Tony Pollard or Josh Jacobs next offseason.

The idea that he's some sort of difference maker on this team is asinine.  This is a team with Aaron Jones and a supposedly good OL.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

NOT EVEN THAT GOOD of a player.  Pretty good player.

Not a chance I'd spend market extension money on that type of player plus whatever it costs to trade for him.

Just throw that money toward Saquon or Tony Pollard or Josh Jacobs next offseason.

The idea that he's some sort of difference maker on this team is asinine.  This is a team with Aaron Jones and a supposedly good OL.

I'm not sure I take anyone on that list over JT. Saquan just can't stay healthy and Jacobs is just your typical grinder. What we hoped Dillon would be. Need to see more Pollard. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure I take anyone on that list over JT. Saquan just can't stay healthy and Jacobs is just your typical grinder. What we hoped Dillon would be. Need to see more Pollard. 

yeah but I don't have to trade for any of them

anyway, JT is a waste of resources and Cap.  Would love to not have any of those players and stick with some young players.

I think this offense values a YAC receiving RB but doesn't need a dynamic RB by any means.

Dillon is not good so far, but RB is a position I'd rather have 3 Jacks at than one Ace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah but I don't have to trade for any of them

anyway, JT is a waste of resources and Cap.  Would love to not have any of those players and stick with some young players.

I think this offense values a YAC receiving RB but doesn't need a dynamic RB by any means.

Dillon is not good so far, but RB is a position I'd rather have 3 Jacks at than one Ace.

Think this offense is unstoppable with a dynamic back and a QB that runs the offense. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Think this offense is unstoppable with a dynamic back and a QB that runs the offense. 

So you think Taylor could be our version of McCaffery? After last week's game I can see there is some merit to that idea. Dillon is either not good or not suited for this offense. Still not for paying another RB though. 

Edited by Old Guy

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So you think Taylor could be our version of McCaffery? After last week's game I can see there is some merit to that idea. Dillon is either not good or not suited for this offense. Still not for paying another RB though. 

I don't think anyone is McCaffrey, that's a total WR/RB hybrid. 

I'm not advocating for JT specifically, just not the idea that Jones and Dillon are most likely gone next year and that RB isn't that important and we should just toss a 4th and 6th round pick in that room and continue on the way. This offense greatly benefits from having a dynamic player there. 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not advocating for JT specifically, just not the idea that Jones and Dillon are most likely gone next year and that RB isn't that important and we should just toss a 4th and 6th round pick in that room and continue on the way. This offense greatly benefits from having a dynamic player there. 

What round was Jones again? ;)

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I really hope there is a way to extend Jones a few more years. He has to understand the RB market is soft and his best chance for success is GB. 

I am usually dead set against a second contract for a RB, much less a 3rd one. HE doesn't have as much wear and tear on his body as the average bell cow RBs do.