rdelaney89

Cap - $78.9M

Cuts

Mohammad Wilkerson – June 1st designation - $17M

-       Obvious move here, hope the door hits him on the way out

Buster Skrine - $6M

-       Rumor has it he received a flag while cleaning out his locker

Ben Ijalana - $4.75M

-       Beachum stayed healthy and performed reasonably well, not reason to keep a high paid backup around.

Matt Forte - $3M

-       Retires

Devin Smith - $1.24M

-       Can’t stay on the field, log jam at WR

James Carpenter - $4.7M

-       Might be an odd move but I believe this cut happens later into the offseason if another move I have works out.

Cap - $116M

Resign

Austin Seferian-Jenkins – 3 years $21M – $7M

-       No secret that the crown jewel of this FA is Cousins, his favorite target is his TE. ASJ wants to stay here long term and the Jets haven’t had competent play at the position in years. In the event we don’t get Cousins a young QB will love to have him as a security blanket.

Demario Davis – 3 years $15M - $5M

-       Has had a resurgence this year, he is rewarded with a new deal

Mo Claiborne – 2 years $16M - $8M

-       Still has nagging injuries, I think he’ll be okay with a 2 year deal that pays him a little more than he got last year. Gives us some time to work in our young CBs

Chandler Catanzaro – 2 years $4M - $2M

-       It’s not easy to kick in MetLife and Cat has done a good job

Quincy Enunwa – 1st Round Tender - $4M

-       You can call it a 2nd round tender if you want for $3M either way he will be a Jet next season

Cap - $92M

Free Agency

Tyrann Mathieu – 5 years $48M – $9.6M

-       Rumor has it that the Honey Badger will be cut if he doesn’t agree to restructure. If he’s on their roster on the first day of the league year he’s guaranteed $22M, he’ll be cut and reunites with his old defensive coordinator.

Ryan Jensen – 5 years $50M - $10M

-       The top Center in FA, no matter how you look at it we want to protect our new investment at QB. We make him the highest paid center in the league

Andrew Norwell – 5 years $60M - $12M

-       Much like Jensen, Norwell will be the top guard available in FA. Build the OL and protect the new QB

Sheldon Richardson – 5 years $60M - $12M

-       Rumor has it that the Jets and Sheldon are both open to reuniting this offseason. He is not longer in the drug program so suspensions should not be an issue barring anything new happening. He will have a void in his contract after 2 years if things go sideways.

Kirk Cousins – 6 years $168M - $40M

-       The Redskins place the Transition Tag on Kirk, this prevents him from going to the Broncos (something Kirk may be eyeing) and gives Bruce Allen the message to fans saying "See we tried to bring him back but Kirk picked a deal we couldn't match" This contract averages out to be $28M per year making him the highest paid QB in NFL history. His first 2 years will be fully guaranteed to the tune of $75M, this allows a coach to come in after Bowles and Macc’s extensions have 1 year left and cut Cousins if he under performs. Contract breakdown:

Year 1 - $40M

Year 2 - $35M

Year 3 - $24M (12.0% of overall cap)

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Year 6 - $23M

These contracts leave us with $45M in cap for 2019 with our only FAs of note being Enunwa and Kearse.

Cap - $8M

Needs heading into the draft: Edge, RB, LT, CB

Other Offseason Moves

-       Giants trade Eli to the Jaguars for a late round pick

-       Browns trade a 2nd round pick to the Chiefs for Alex Smith

-       Bills retain Tyrod Taylor, after the first playoff push in nearly 2 decades team decides to use it’s assets building around him. May take a QB in round 2 or 3.

-       Arizona signs Blake Bortles, looks to draft a replacement at their pick.

-       Brees retires after the season

NFL Draft

1 – Browns – QB – Sam Darnold – I think Browns go QB at #1, I think Dorsey likes Darnold the best since he’s on record saying he’d stay away from Rosen (prior to becoming their GM)

2 – Giants – QB – Josh Rosen – Eli wants to start and asks for a trade to the Jags.

3 – Colts – EDGE – Bradley Chubb – Arguably the best player in the draft

4 – Browns – RB – Saquon Barkley – They could trade out of this pick for someone looking to leap frog the Broncos for Mayfield but I think they hold onto it and get the top weapon in the draft for their new QB

5 – Broncos – QB – Josh Allen – I think after missing out on Cousins Denver will want one of the top QBs. I could see the Giants going Allen and Rosen going here if the Mara’s don’t like Rosen’s personality in challenging authority

6 – Jets – EDGE – Arden Key – It’s been 13 years since we’ve had a legit edge presence, that changes on draft day Arden Key Highlights

37) RB – Derrius Guice – He went through a lot growing up as a kid and seems like the type of personality we like to bring in. 1251 yards with a 5.3 YPC in the SEC, we’ll take that all day. His longest run of the season was 59 yards after that it was 33 yards so it’s not like he’s ripping off huge runs to pad his stats. Derrius Guice Highlights

49) DE – Duke Ejiofor – Much like last year we double dip at a position of need, I wanted to go CB here but I can’t find any that I like. If we didn’t get Key I would have taken Ejiofor at 37, can never have too many pass rushers. Duke Ejiofor Highlights

72) LT – Martinas Rankin – I’m not sure he’ll end up making it this far, we could consider taking him at 49 if we like his potential. Beachum has been fine but will be on the last year of his deal and has an injury history. Rankin could be his replacement in 2019 if he develops well.

Rest of Draft: BPA

Potential 2019 Needs - WR, LT, CB, ILB

Nit picking a bit. But Rosen can't sit behind Eli because Eli was traded away to the Jaguars.

Also, I think your numbers on ASJ are too high. 

I like this off-season. Real aggressive. We would be one more successful off-season from being true contenders. 

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Nit picking a bit. But Rosen can't sit behind Eli because Eli was traded away to the Jaguars.

Also, I think your numbers on ASJ are too high. 

I like this offseason. Real aggressive. 

derp forgot to change that, wrote that when I thought Darnold would go back to school.

16 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I'm cool with this although your numbers are off on Demario and ASJ IMO.  I think Demario gets about 8 mil a year.  If ASJ gets anything over 4-5 or so, we should walk away.

I'm totally cool with paying Demario more and ASJ less. I think we do retain both though

Like FA and all a lot. I just don’t like Key is that situation. I’m more on board with trading back or going OT there. McGlinchey, Norwell, Jensen, Winters, Shell would be a great OLine. We could even trade Beachum for something I’m sure. Maybe a 3rd or 4th Rounder. Not saying this is what I want. Just an idea. I just don’t value Key. I think he’s a poor mans Leonard Floyd. Just not 6th pick worthy in my eyes. I mean the guy played minimally this season bc he’s so raw. And that’s in college. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like FA and all a lot. I just don’t like Key is that situation. I’m more on board with trading back or going OT there. McGlinchey, Norwell, Jensen, Winters, Shell would be a great OLine. We could even trade Beachum for something I’m sure. Maybe a 3rd or 4th Rounder. Not saying this is what I want. Just an idea. I just don’t value Key. I think he’s a poor mans Leonard Floyd. Just not 6th pick worthy in my eyes. I mean the guy played minimally this season bc he’s so raw. And that’s in college. 

It would be a great move as well but in my mind I'd rather the player at a position we don't have than a player at a position we do have. I have both their grades right around the same so it's not reaching IMO. I'm not sure there is any player left that a team would be willing to trade up for so I think we'll be stuck at #6.

2 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Wait, what's the thing about the transition tag and the Broncos ? I'm not privy to that

TT won't stop Cousins going there but Redskins can afford to take the contract that Broncos would cover. As you know Cousins doesn't want to play for Redskins for weaker contract.

For better picture.  https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/12/4/16733878/how-the-transition-tag-can-still-be-a-deterrent-for-other-teams-bidding-on-kirk-cousins

26 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Wait, what's the thing about the transition tag and the Broncos ? I'm not privy to that

With the Transition tag it allows Cousins to test FA. If he signs a deal then the Redskins will have 1 week to match the deal. Since the Broncos do not have enough cap to offer a contract that is high enough for the Redskins not to match Cousins won't sign it. That leaves the Browns, Bills, and Jets as the 3 most likely options.

Let me assume that Jets will carry about 5-6m (depending on rookie performance bonus) from 2017 into 2018. Jets would be sitting about 4m throughout the 2018 season?  Very risky.  

Naturally, if everything went your way in real life for 10-12m cheaper would be swell as I don't look forward to some restructuring ****.

For this mock, I don't think signing Richardson is necessary for Jets.  Maybe trying Jason Crick or likelihood one to pair up with RFA Cooper for one year for total of 5 or 7m. Save 7-5m from Richardson's cap.

Archived