Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

Yep, it's still super early in camp but he hasn't carried over the strong play from the Spring where he was supposedly not allowing any completions.

We could also pretty much write McDonald off from making the team. He's either getting traded (unlikely) or just flat out released. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, it's still super early in camp but he hasn't carried over the strong play from the Spring where he was supposedly not allowing any completions.

We could also pretty much write McDonald off from making the team. He's either getting traded (unlikely) or just flat out released. 

At some point, I wonder if they give any pause to moving Ward to safety and get him back at corner if there really are struggles at the corner spot. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If Robinson doesn't live up to the potential he showed last year, our secondary is going to be an unmitigated disaster. It'll be the equivalent of our run defense last year. 

This is half of the reason why I have felt, despite the optimism of camp, this team was still going to be plenty bad this year. We might end up with the worst pass defense in the league, because while it's great that we have a lot of guys who can get to the QB, outside of Dumervil regaining his youth, we have nobody who can consistently get there. That means our DBs need to be stout and it's not likely. I mean, we (as a fanbase) have put an awful lot of faith in Robinson, who we've almost been treating like a seasoned vet. He did look sharp in his rookie season, but he's still a 2nd year player/former raw 4th round draft pick who had the opportunity to play across from an underrated CB in Brock. With the offensive line also likely to be bottom 5, it's pretty possible that we'll be in for shootouts where our QB gets beat up a lot. I see the possibility for a lot of 38-28 type losses. A lot of steps forward - but not enough to overcome anything.

I still think it's a 3-year rebuild, as we'll still need our answer at QB, playmaking WR (maybe Goodwin, but likely not), an offensive line, a stud pass-rusher, and a strong young corner. Possibly more over the next couple years as well (SAM, SS, TE/HB aren't guaranteed). 

Whoa, Maiocco just said in his chat that Zuttah and Beadles both may be cut with the way they are playing and Kilgore has a strong lock at the C position. He also said Zuttah kind of seems unwilling to play guard at the moment.

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Whoa, Maiocco just said in his chat that Zuttah and Beadles both may be cut with the way they are playing and Kilgore has a strong lock at the C position. He also said Zuttah kind of seems unwilling to play guard at the moment.

The Zuttah situation is weird. We acquired him, and then it seemed like he never participated in anything and we never heard about him during anything. I'd be floored if both of them were gone, but I wouldn't be upset about it. Beadles has never been very good, and Ravens fans have lamented the play of Zuttah for a while. Not sure who we would get to replace them though with Garnett on the shelf. Maybe kick tackles inside? I don't know. But if they are playing that bad..yikes. 

Maiocco said when teams make their final cuts he wouldn't be surprised if we sign one of the guards that get cut. But he said Fusco pretty much as the RG spot locked up and they are big fans of Kilgore. I just don't want to see another year of Beadles getting significant time. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco said when teams make their final cuts he wouldn't be surprised if we sign one of the guards that get cut. But he said Fusco pretty much as the RG spot locked up and they are big fans of Kilgore. I just don't want to see another year of Beadles getting significant time. 

It seems like every staff has become big fans of Kilgore. His problem is he's the Bruce Ellington of offensive linemen. 

-Two days after he was the top performer inside Levi’s Stadium, Matt Breida received a few first-team reps. Part of that is because Tim Hightower is day-to-day (knee). Part of it is because of Breida’s running style. He’s reminding me more and more of Alfred Morris, a vicious runner Shanahan rode for 2,900 yards in 2012-13 with the Redskins. Breida seeks out contact with linebackers and defensive backs and has the strength to run through arm tackles. Morris emerged out of nowhere in 2012

-Tank Carradine is still keeping Solomon Thomas out of the starting lineup. He’s run almost exclusively with the first-team and big defensive end and appears to be closing in on a roster spot. The 27-year-old Carradine was seldomly used last year by Jim O’Neil, appearing in 13 games and registering 10 tackles. With that said, defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said Thomas is coming along fine.

http://www.knbr.com/2017/08/07/49ers-camp-observations-kyle-shanahan-gets-angry-with-second-team-offense/

First - regarding the bolded - that would be my exact dream hope of Breida. I've been operating under the assumption he was playing well enough to win himself a roster spot and playing time, if he can be an Alfred Morris-type back, that'd be a dream for me. Morris under Kyle Shanahan was a top 3 back. 

Next - Good to hear that Carradine is performing well enough to hold Thomas out of the starting lineup. Unlike linebacker where it would have been disappointing if Foster didn't start, DL is one of the hardest NFL positions to learn. Carradine playing well enough to not give the #3 overall pick 1st team looks is just a good sign for Carradine in a system that finally fits him. 

59 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'd watch for Laken Tomlinson then. He's got to be on his last legs with the Lions if he can't get it together this training camp, but he's still young and a former first round pick. I wouldn't even mind a Vance for Tomlinson swap similar to the deal last year with Thomas for Kerley. They have Ebron at tight end, who's pretty similar to Vance, but he's also a free agent after the year is over. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/26081/kyle-shanahans-meticulous-planning-keeps-49ers-on-their-toes

Despite all the trepidation with the O-Line, secondary and what have you, this article sums up why I'm so optimistic about our chances, game in and game out. I really believe Shanny will be a difference maker from a coaching and teaching standpoint. Of course you need good players for any scheme to work but I really feel like Shanny can manipulates wins, just from a coaching perspective.

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/26081/kyle-shanahans-meticulous-planning-keeps-49ers-on-their-toes

Despite all the trepidation with the O-Line, secondary and what have you, this article sums up why I'm so optimistic about our chances, game in and game out. I really believe Shanny will be a difference maker from a coaching and teaching standpoint. Of course you need good players for any scheme to work but I really feel like Shanny can manipulates wins, just from a coaching perspective.

I think it depends on where you feel our talent base is. I agree that I Think Shanny could nab us an extra win or two just from strong coaching and planning. But other teams have great coaches as well, so I'm not going to say he's worth more than 1 or 2. If you feel that our talent is a 5 win team, then it's easier to believe that we could end up with 6 or 7. With our schedule, I see our talent more or less as a two or three win team, and we win an extra game or two from coaching / lucky breaks / etc. 

Archived