Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

28 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Did Johnson get another concussion during the game? Cause he played against the Broncos atleast during the first drive.

Oh wow, truthfully, I didn't even notice him. I thought he was out lol. Hadn't heard anything about him being good to go. I'll take that as a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh wow, truthfully, I didn't even notice him. I thought he was out lol. Hadn't heard anything about him being good to go. I'll take that as a good thing. 

Had me second guessing myself haha. He actually showed pretty well while in if I remember correctly, or atleast wasn't noticeably bad to draw attention. And I'll take that has a huge win considering the WRs Denver has.

I think we could get a mid to late round pick for a number of guys on our roster; remember we traded guys like Cam Johnson and Colin Jones in previous years, to me Dial has more value now than either of those guys did when they were traded. There is a guy in Washington that seems to have fallen out of favor with their coaching staff ( I believe I heard reports about Breeland for example) at a position of need that they may be willing to part with (possibly not with Breeland because of Shanny/Washington relationship). My point is that yeah, their contracts don't hurt us, but we don't have room to keep all these players and if the coaching staff sees DJ Jones as the future at NT then why bother hanging on to Dial when we could potentially get a future pick or a player who has fallen out of favor with his current team at a position of need?

I wouldn't mind Breeland, there were points last year where he got abused in coverage but he has great size and has shown flashes however periodically. If we could swing a trade for him using Dial, Brooks or who else I'd be all for it. I'm not saying I don't want to try at all, I'm just not all that hopefull that these guys possess a ton in trade value. An aging pass rusher who's never shown to be anything other than slightly above average at his best with slight character/team chemistry concerns, although it's been a couple years, and an affinity for offsides haha and a two down run stuffer don't scream values to me but if we could turn them into something then I wouldn't be opposed.

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think we could get a mid to late round pick for a number of guys on our roster; remember we traded guys like Cam Johnson and Colin Jones in previous years, to me Dial has more value now than either of those guys did when they were traded. There is a guy in Washington that seems to have fallen out of favor with their coaching staff ( I believe I heard reports about Breeland for example) at a position of need that they may be willing to part with (possibly not with Breeland because of Shanny/Washington relationship). My point is that yeah, their contracts don't hurt us, but we don't have room to keep all these players and if the coaching staff sees DJ Jones as the future at NT then why bother hanging on to Dial when we could potentially get a future pick or a player who has fallen out of favor with his current team at a position of need?

Exactly what I've been saying for some time now.  We have players that are good enough to be meaningful contribuors on other teams even though they can't make the roster here.  Teams can wait till they are available and hope to sign them over the other 30 teams that might be interested them.  On the other hand if they have a guy they are going to cut because of too many good guys at one position why not trade that guy for our guy and make sure you get the guy you want.  Dial is a perfect example of someone we should be able to trade for a decentbackup at some other position - say CB for example. It might be just a bit harder to get a draft pick as opposed to a player they're going to cut anyway.  But some of our guys, again like Dial, are definitely worth a low round pick. A team just might be willing to part with one if they love a guy enough rather having him sign with soneone else one we cut him.

1 hour ago, jwalter_81 said:

I'm assuming we are looking to trade one of our d-linemen for either draft pick, or another position of need, then replace the departed linemen with Jackson 

Yea but the problem is we're already stacked at D-Line to begin with. That's why trading a D-Lineman for help at another position makes sense. Doesn't make sense to add another D-Lineman after you trade one away. Got to be another angle here I'm not seeing... 

The pass blocking has been fine. But in preseason that usually is the case with teams playing vanilla defense for the most part. Heck, our pass blocking last preseason looked pretty damn good as well. It is just the run blocking where the team is struggling right now. I don't know if that will change with the personnel we have. Brown very well could become a top 3 pass protector at his position while at the same time being a bottom 3 run blocker.

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The pass blocking has been fine. But in preseason that usually is the case with teams playing vanilla defense for the most part. Heck, our pass blocking last preseason looked pretty damn good as well. It is just the run blocking where the team is struggling right now. I don't know if that will change with the personnel we have. Brown very well could become a top 3 pass protector at his position while at the same time being a bottom 3 run blocker.

It also should be mentioned that Hoyer is considerably better than our last two quarterbacks with just getting rid of the ball. For his career, he's about 5%, though I think a more likely long term percentage would be a bit higher (the two seasons where he has played the majority of games have been 5.2 and 6.3%. Compare that to Kaep, who had a sack percentage of nearly a whopping 10% and Alex Smith who is closer to about 8% (and was a little over that during his stint here). Even in the seasons where we had one of the best offensive lines in the league (11 & 12), Smith was sacked 9 and 9.9% of the time (Kaeps struggles with sacks happened later on as the o-line got worse). So a decent pass blocking line, paired with a quarterback who gets rid of the ball fast should yield positive results with regards to sacks and hurries overall. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea but the problem is we're already stacked at D-Line to begin with. That's why trading a D-Lineman for help at another position makes sense. Doesn't make sense to add another D-Lineman after you trade one away. Got to be another angle here I'm not seeing... 

I'm guessing they'll trade Dial or someone similar for draft pick next year, and replace him with someone else for depth, I.e. Jackson

18 minutes ago, jwalter_81 said:

I'm guessing they'll trade Dial or someone similar for draft pick next year, and replace him with someone else for depth, I.e. Jackson

Still doesn't add up. We still have more talent than we need at the position. Trading a D-Lineman away helps alleviate the log-jam. Makes no sense to add another one afterwards when there's already talent there. I'm guessing we're just working him out in case a injury occurs down the road, during the season. In this scheme, you really only need two NTs at the most.  Carrying three would be overkill. Mitchell and DJ Jones look like the two that will make the 53. I think the two guys most likely to get traded on the D-Line are Tank and Dial. My darkhorse is Lynch. Dont think it will happen but wouldn't be shocked if he was dealt also.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Still doesn't add up. We still have more talent than we need at the position. Trading a D-Lineman away helps alleviate the log-jam. Makes no sense to add another one afterwards when there's already talent there. I'm guessing we're just working him out in case a injury occurs down the road, during the season. In this scheme, you really only need two NTs at the most.  Carrying three would be overkill. Mitchell and DJ Jones look like the two that will make the 53. I think the two guys most likely to get traded on the D-Line are Tank and Dial. My darkhorse is Lynch. Dont think it will happen but wouldn't be shocked if he was dealt also.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lynch were dealt either. He may actually still retain some real value on the market if we were to shop him, particularly to a team that loses a pass rusher (don't see why he couldn't be a target for a team like New England as well, and we know that they don't have any issues trading picks). He's young, on a cheap deal, and there's upside there. At the same time, we may not completely "love" him and view him as a long term solution. I agree that it would be a long shot, but not altogether surprising if it were to occur. 

I don't thikn that Tank gets traded...he's shown pretty nicely so far, I like the rotation of him and Thomas, and he's finally playing his natural position. So I kind of hope not. I also think that there's a much larger ceiling with more potential for Tank.  Dial almost feels like a lock to me to get dealt if he has a shred of value on the open market. 

Archived