2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

5 minutes ago, PackersFSU said:

Not counting him out up there as well.  I was reading the other day that there was some buzz at the senior bowl about the NFL being a lot higher on Brown than the draft community FWIW.  

I just can't see him going much higher than Cam Robinson did last year. Maybe the dearth of OT's pushes him.

20 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

i feel pretty good saying that 2 Ol will go before 14, whether that be Connor Williams, Quenton Nelson, Brown, McGlinchey. I would guess today at the bolded

Admittedly Connor Williams is my favorite of the Tackles.  But the injuries last year might push him down a little.

This is days and pages behind, but back to CB discussion that CWood was involved in.  

1.  Agree with CWood that a early draft pick and a capable FA vet signing would seem the most likely outcome, and a desirable one.  King-Randall-House(or-better-FA)-pick as first four, with others fighting it out for 5th/6th, that's OK with me, and is what I expect.  (Given other needs)

2.  Don't fully agree with CWood that it's impossible to consider a FA for 4th CB.  (Good-FA + House-caliber-FA rather than pick + House-or-better.)  Obviously you'd not be getting a high-end guy.  But guys like Tramon or Captain Munnerlyn get signed all the time, and House too.  I think CWood argued that the kind of guy who's willing to take that maybe isn't good enough to be worth having, and would be better off letting Hawkins-etc fight it out for those spots.  Not sure, Gute can evaluatate that.  

3.  CWood thought House is too good to consider a 4th-CB role.  Maybe so, but I'm not sure.   Most teams play nickel most of the time, so any top-3 corner is basically a starter/regular.  Last year House signed for only $2.8, which to me looks like 4th-corner rather than starter/regular money.   And being another injury-abundant year older, not sure his market will be much stronger this year. 

4.  A vet FA may figure he can outplay King or Randall or rookie draft picks.  So even though we might peg a guy as 4th-corner behind King and Randall, a guy might figure he's got plenty of opportunity to earn snaps.  So not sure a House would perceive a Packer role as being "blocked".  

5.  All that said, I totally don't expect Gute to sign both House and a better FA corner.  I expect one FA of at least House-or-better quality, and one highish pick, like CWood expects as well.  

6 minutes ago, craig said:

This is days and pages behind, but back to CB discussion that CWood was involved in.  

1.  Agree with CWood that a early draft pick and a capable FA vet signing would seem the most likely outcome, and a desirable one.  King-Randall-House(or-better-FA)-pick as first four, with others fighting it out for 5th/6th, that's OK with me, and is what I expect.  (Given other needs)

2.  Don't fully agree with CWood that it's impossible to consider a FA for 4th CB.  (Good-FA + House-caliber-FA rather than pick + House-or-better.)  Obviously you'd not be getting a high-end guy.  But guys like Tramon or Captain Munnerlyn get signed all the time, and House too.  I think CWood argued that the kind of guy who's willing to take that maybe isn't good enough to be worth having, and would be better off letting Hawkins-etc fight it out for those spots.  Not sure, Gute can evaluatate that.  

3.  CWood thought House is too good to consider a 4th-CB role.  Maybe so, but I'm not sure.   Most teams play nickel most of the time, so any top-3 corner is basically a starter/regular.  Last year House signed for only $2.8, which to me looks like 4th-corner rather than starter/regular money.   And being another injury-abundant year older, not sure his market will be much stronger this year. 

4.  A vet FA may figure he can outplay King or Randall or rookie draft picks.  So even though we might peg a guy as 4th-corner behind King and Randall, a guy might figure he's got plenty of opportunity to earn snaps.  So not sure a House would perceive a Packer role as being "blocked".  

5.  All that said, I totally don't expect Gute to sign both House and a better FA corner.  I expect one FA of at least House-or-better quality, and one highish pick, like CWood expects as well.  

Good post. 

If we choose to sign House or equivalent, it better mean we are investing a top 2 round pick in a corner IMO. If we sign a starting boundary corner via FA, we can wait til round 3+

I would like to talk more specifically about the pass rushers in the draft. Not sure if it makes sense to open another topic. Any one have thoughts on trading up to #5 if Colts don’t take Chubb?

Who do you prefer more and why?

Edmunds/Davenport/Landry/Key

To me it’s Davenport as I believe with time could be an Aldon Smith type player but with no off the field concerns. Has the tools however might not be the quickest but with coaching on footwork he could reduce his steps making him quicker to the ball.

8 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

I would like to talk more specifically about the pass rushers in the draft. Not sure if it makes sense to open another topic. Any one have thoughts on trading up to #5 if Colts don’t take Chubb?

Who do you prefer more and why?

Edmunds/Davenport/Landry/Key

To me it’s Davenport as I believe with time could be an Aldon Smith type player but with no off the field concerns. Has the tools however might not be the quickest but with coaching on footwork he could reduce his steps making him quicker to the ball.

Depending on the run of QBs, trading up could be really expensive.

But lets say that QBs go 1 and 2. The Colts trade down with either the Jets or Broncos who grab a QB, that's 3. Cleveland picks Barkley. We are sitting at 5 with either the Colts on the clock from the Broncos with the Jets up next, or the Broncos are OTC and will probably take whoever of Mayfield or Allen is left... We could trade up to 5 or 6 and give up maybe a 2nd this year. That is what the Cowboys did in 2012 to go from 14 to 6 to get Morris Claiborne. 

Either way, the 3rd and 4th picks are going to be really, really valuable if a couple teams really like 2 of the 4 QBs remaining. We could be left with the Broncos sitting at 5 pissed off that someone traded up and grabbed their guy, and they want to move 5. 

It's impossible to know without knowing where Cousins and Alex Smith end up. 

9 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

But lets say that QBs go 1 and 2. The Colts trade down with either the Jets or Broncos who grab a QB, that's 3. Cleveland picks Barkley. We are sitting at 5 with either the Colts on the clock from the Broncos with the Jets up next, or the Broncos are OTC and will probably take whoever of Mayfield or Allen is left... We could trade up to 5 or 6 and give up maybe a 2nd this year. That is what the Cowboys did in 2012 to go from 14 to 6 to get Morris Claiborne. 

Either way, the 3rd and 4th picks are going to be really, really valuable if a couple teams really like 2 of the 4 QBs remaining. We could be left with the Broncos sitting at 5 pissed off that someone traded up and grabbed their guy, and they want to move 5. 

Agree. I have to believe Cousins will go to the Broncos. I know it hypothetical but I see Darnold/Rosen/than Colts trading with the Jets to move back for Allen and Cleveland goes Barkley leaving Denver with the options to move down. My only concern is that the price will be higher since some might value Mayfield in the top 5. Will be interesting to see how this offseason plays out. 

8 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:
22 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Agree. I have to believe Cousins will go to the Broncos. I know it hypothetical but I see Darnold/Rosen/than Colts trading with the Jets to move back for Allen and Cleveland goes Barkley leaving Denver with the options to move down. My only concern is that the price will be higher since some might value Mayfield in the top 5. Will be interesting to see how this offseason plays out. 

yeah, and I have to think at this point, one of the teams in the teens will be aggressive moving up for a QB due to recent trends, especially last year. All 3 QBs were traded up for in the top 12.  

Just wanted to clarify a few things...

2 hours ago, craig said:

Let me make it clear, I don't think that the Packers are opposed to having a vet as their 4th corner.  I don't believe that any halfway decent corner is going to sign knowing that they're likely at best the 4th corner on the depth chart.  If they're halfway decent, why wouldn't they sign on a team where they're clearly higher on the depth chart and likely making more money?  There's no reason for any halfway decent CB to come to Green Bay to be the 4th corner.  Even guys like Tramon Williams or Captain Munnerlyn are more likely going to a team where they have a clearer path to PT and making more money.

2 hours ago, craig said:

You can probably lump this into the previous, but why would Davon House whose a decent CB sign on to be 4th on the DC?  There's no reason to.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You can probably lump this into the previous, but why would Davon House whose a decent CB sign on to be 4th on the DC?  There's no reason to.

You obviously don't tell the guy he's going to be the 4th.. with how our passing defense is if a guy believes he's a decent corner he's going to want to come in to compete for a starting job.  I don't think any of our guys should think they are 100% locks to be starting, everyone would be here to compete for the job, may the best men win.

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You obviously don't tell the guy he's going to be the 4th.. with how our passing defense is if a guy believes he's a decent corner he's going to want to come in to compete for a starting job.  I don't think any of our guys should think they are 100% locks to be starting, everyone would be here to compete for the job, may the best men win.

It'd be pretty damn obvious.  Of course you're going to tell him he's going to be in the mix, but if the Packers go out and sign someone like Kyle Fuller to a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal, what is House suppose to expect?  He knows the Packers have invested 1st round picks into Kevin King and Damarious Randall.

House isn’t worth the trouble being suggested here to keep him around. This is the only forum I’m apart of that thinks this highly of the guy. You need to upgrade there and you shouldn’t want that guy starting on the boundary next year if you want an improved pass defense. It’s really that simple. If he wants to go and compete for a starting role elsewhere fine, frankly I have a hard time seeing him being better than a 4 moving forward.

Just now, CWood21 said:

It'd be pretty damn obvious.  Of course you're going to tell him he's going to be in the mix, but if the Packers go out and sign someone like Kyle Fuller to a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal, what is House suppose to expect?  He knows the Packers have invested 1st round picks into Kevin King and Damarious Randall.

House is a different cat, man. Idk, I don't think it'd be outside the realm of possibility, I was arguing your exact point not too long ago but I could see it going either way right now. King has to make a jump year 1 to year 2 if he wants to hold down that starter spot, and that'd be where the bet is with a guy like House. Does he think he can play better than him this year or not?

Archived