2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

20 hours ago, cannondale said:

6'-0" and 200 lb guys with 33 1/2" arms and 4.50 speed and play the outside are pretty sought after. Many project him not getting out of the 1st round. Mid second seems like a pipe dream

We shall see

But it's also not like we're not in a position to make a move if we feel it's worth doing so.  That Browns' 4th we received is going to be big ammunition if we want to move up.

19 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Don’t know if it has been raised already but would you be into trading the 14th pick with the Pats for the 23rd and 43rd (11th in the second)?

I could see the demand for the 5th and 6th rated QBs being inflated and teams wanting to get ahead of each other in that middle part of round 1.

As usual, it depends on whose available and what teams are willing to give up.  If we're sitting on any of top tier guys (i.e. Harold Landry, Derwin James, Denzel Ward, etc.), the price to move up is going to be higher than normal.  Even if the Patriots were willing to swallow the "loss" in trade value, is it worth trading down to another tier?  You better be incredibly sure that the player(s) that you're getting are worth more than what you gave up.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I could somehow see Ward gettin to us if the 4 qbs go top 10, and davenport/chubb/landry go to Cleveland/bucs/washington.

that's 7 guys, and barkley, Nelson, Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Edmunds make 12.  

If an OT goes in the top part, that would get us Ward.  If a WR goes in the top part, that gets us Ward too.  Clearly asking a lot for someone to take those LBs over Ward, but it does seem the CB needy teams are also Edge needy, and/or QB needy.

CB needy teams

Cleveland, Denver, Tampa, Chicago, San Francisco, Oakland, Washington.  To me Oakland is the biggest threat to go off script and grab offense because of Gruden.

Tampa Bay and Chicago are the two teams most likely to poach him IMO.  San Francisco is a darkhorse there I suppose.

2 hours ago, fattlipp said:

I love Edmunds, he reminds me of another guy I loved,  Aaron Curry,  god was I wrong about him.....scary thought drafting the next curry.  

Best scenario now if Mayfield falling to 14, trading with Pats, 14 for 23 and 31. Then drafting 23- Landry and 31 - Alexander

Mayfield isn't dropping, so you might as well as drop that pipe outside.

47 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Landry might not even make it to 14. 

Best case scenario for us is the 5 QB's go before 14. Someone is trading up for Lamar...

I think there's a better chance Landry slides to the 2nd round than there is of him being gone by 14.  

I don't think he can play the run in the NFL right now, especially in a 4-3.  

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think there's a better chance Landry slides to the 2nd round than there is of him being gone by 14.  

I think both San Francisco and Chicago are going to think long and hard about taking him.  I'd take that wager that he's more likely to not be available at 14 than he's available in the 2nd round.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Pass rushers with his athletic profile don't fall to the 2nd round. If he had left as a Junior he would've been a top 5 pick, 16.5 sacks - 20 TFLs - 7 FFs. If he is cleared medically there is no way he lasts until the 2nd. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think both San Francisco and Chicago are going to think long and hard about taking him.  I'd take that wager that he's more likely to not be available at 14 than he's available in the 2nd round.

I think Chicago would be more likely to take Edmunds as ILB is a big need and is a better prospect.

SF seems very interested in safeties.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I could somehow see Ward gettin to us if the 4 qbs go top 10, and davenport/chubb/landry go to Cleveland/bucs/washington.

that's 7 guys, and barkley, Nelson, Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Edmunds make 12.  

If an OT goes in the top part, that would get us Ward.  If a WR goes in the top part, that gets us Ward too.  Clearly asking a lot for someone to take those LBs over Ward, but it does seem the CB needy teams are also Edge needy, and/or QB needy.

CB needy teams

Cleveland, Denver, Tampa, Chicago, San Francisco, Oakland, Washington.  To me Oakland is the biggest threat to go off script and grab offense because of Gruden.

Don't forget Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

Pass rushers with his athletic profile don't fall to the 2nd round. If he had left as a Junior he would've been a top 5 pick, 16.5 sacks - 20 TFS - 7 FFs. He is a more productive Anthony Barr. If he is cleared medically there is no way he lasts until the 2nd. 

I personally think he will go in the last ten picks of the first.  He has great production in college, but he isn't very tall or long and I really worry about his functional strength for the NFL.  

I just don't see him as a top 16 pick at all.  

3 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Don't forget Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

I don't see how he would go above Ward though... so the theory being that the CBs are falling.  Do you think he would go before Ward?

I have a hard time justifying Derwin James going before Ward, but someone might make that happen because they are different positions and different style players even though they are both ostensibly pass defenders.

Archived