2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Does anyone have an opinion of Carlton Davis? He seems to be kind of boom-busty and highly dependent upon being employed as a press corner; he doesn't do well in space apparently since he is sloppy in backpedal and transitions. Still he seems to have some serious pluses in the right scheme match.

10 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Does anyone have an opinion of Carlton Davis? He seems to be kind of boom-busty and highly dependent upon being employed as a press corner; he doesn't do well in space apparently since he is sloppy in backpedal and transitions. Still he seems to have some serious pluses in the right scheme match.

I seen a bit. From what I seen his back pedal is sloppy as you said, he just doesn’t seem like a comfortable athlete at all. Idt he’s a good runner and just not very fluid at all. Gonna have to probably decrease his physicality as well, he’s gonna get a lot of flags if he doesn’t 

41 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

What if James or FitzPatrick is available as well?! Stranger things have happened.

Think I go

James

Landry

Ward

I'm warming up to James and Fitz. I'd still take Ward and Landry over those two though.

Chubb

Ward

Landry

Edmunds

James

Fitzpatrick

Davenport

LVE IF we see him as a potential EDGE

Barkley

Alexander

44 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Does anyone have an opinion of Carlton Davis?

8 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If we drafted him and he didn't do this after every touchdown, cut him. 

carlton-banks-dances-o.gif

Less than two weeks to go.

12 days, 8 hours. 

I have my doubts you'll make it, given you've reached this level of punchiness with so many hours to go. lol

29 minutes ago, Lieker said:

I'm warming up to James and Fitz. I'd still take Ward and Landry over those two though.

Chubb

Ward

Landry

Edmunds

James

Fitzpatrick

Davenport

LVE IF we see him as a potential EDGE

Barkley

Alexander

One question I wanted to ask is why is it more acceptable drafting Edmunds, but not LVE. Tbh Idt neither have shown much edge work (not saying they can’t do it, just saying I haven’t seen much) and watching both play, I think LVE is better.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

One question I wanted to ask is why is it more acceptable drafting Edmunds, but not LVE. Tbh Idt neither have shown much edge work (not saying they can’t do it, just saying I haven’t seen much) and watching both play, I think LVE is better.

Not trying to change your mind, but my perception of LVE took a hit after watching this video. My opinion is couched in "there's probably all sorts of stuff about this guy that I do not know....." - but I agree with a thesis of this video: LVE isnt dominating (at least at this stage) getting off blocks or thru traffic.

Watch it if you wish:

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

I believe Edmunds was used some as a pass rusher. LVE not as much.

1 minute ago, Gopher Trace said:

LVE is next Shea McClellin!

#HotTake

Shea is the reason I can’t trust any Boise player. So glad the Bears took him, I was convinced we were going to if not. Doug Martin falls into this same category but to a lesser extent. 

1 hour ago, Gopher Trace said:

LVE is next Shea McClellin!

#HotTake

Other then the jersey these players aren't similar at all.

LVE is way more athletic.

McClellin:

Vert - 31"

Broad - 118"

3 cone - 7.07

Shuttle - 4.33

LVE:

Vert - 39.5"

Broad - 124"

3 cone - 6.88

Shuttle - 4.15

All while being taller

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

@Leader I think you can watch videos of all LBs getting caught up in blocks every game. Most linebackers in the league don’t take 1-1 blocks well. 

This is true - to an extent. There's techniques to shedding or shielding off blocks and at this stage at least, Edmunds handles it much better than LVE - or better than LVE evidenced in that tape - which I admitted isnt all thats out there on him. Now - will LVE be coached and develop skills greater than shoving his shoulder into a blocker (?) - who promptly wraps him up like a pig in a blanket and gobbles him up? Yes - could very well be. One would hope - or - he might not. I cant say other than what I'm looking at now and I'd much prefer Edmunds over LVE. That book is closed for me. All thats left is how LVE stacks up to the other talent (and positions) available at that time (as I suspect Edmunds will be selected higher than 14).

Additional point: according to the tape LVE has played only one year??? Dont know the details of why that would be - but it affords hope he's still evolving as a player, because he better be. He's not going to be able to just run down folks in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Shea is the reason I can’t trust any Boise player. So glad the Bears took him, I was convinced we were going to if not. Doug Martin falls into this same category but to a lesser extent. 

I clearly remember a ton of posters on Packerchatters (my go-to site back then) just loved the idea of getting that guy (McClellin). I was ho-hum on him, didn't love him, but I didn't hate him either. I sure wasn't disappointed when the Bears took him and he busted.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

This is true - to an extent. There's techniques to shedding or shielding off blocks and at this stage at least, Edmunds handles it much better than LVE - or better than LVE evidenced in that tape - which I admitted isnt all thats out there on him. Now - will LVE be coached and develop skills greater than shoving his shoulder into a blocker (?) - who promptly wraps him up like a pig in a blanket and gobbles him up? Yes - could very well be. One would hope - or - he might not. I cant say other than what I'm looking at now and I'd much prefer Edmunds over LVE. That book is closed for me. All thats left is how LVE stacks up to the other talent (and positions) available at that time (as I suspect Edmunds will be selected higher than 14).

Additional point: according to the tape LVE has played only one year??? Dont know the details of why that would be - but it affords hope he's still evolving as a player, because he better be. He's not going to be able to just run down folks in the NFL.

This touches on why I like Davenport just a little bit better than Landry (I'll admit it is a close call). Davenport is comfortable taking on the big guys head-to-head, does it all the time. If you do that regularly (and you aren't stupid) you improve your hand-fighting, body control and how best to turn speed to power. I'd rather coach him on how to run the arc better, than teach Landry to go head-to-head as a regular part of his repertoire.

Archived